Read 229917 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: What're you listening to right now?
« Reply #1240 on: September 22, 2021, 02:28:43 pm »
... I'm a general music fan, but have never listened to him before....
Bowie was the bee's knees in the late seventies & early eighties.

Never my cup of tea, but Queen & The Rolliing Stones bridged the gap.

« Reply #1241 on: September 22, 2021, 04:04:54 pm »
Not David Bowie!
 I was referring to the other fella...Albert King. The one that 'theman3285' put up.
I said that I was a general fan of (all) music (ok, except one or two genres), and that I had never listened to 'Albert King' before.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1242 on: September 22, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
I'm no expert, but Bowie seems hugely overrated to me.

You had me at "I'm no expert".

Whether you like him or not, he's not overrated.  He was one of the most influential artists of the seventies through nineties.  He would create, develop and leave a musical space before others came into it, for instance with "proto-punk" of Ziggy Stardust, disco of Young Americans, "plastic soul" ,  ambient electronic music while in self-exile in Berlin, and New Romantics, etc.  He played a big role in Lou Reed's breakthrough Transformer, inspired loads of other artists from T. Rex to Phillip Glass,  and made stagecraft an integral part of the story his characters told. 

He was a genius.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:50:12 pm by Mr C »

« Reply #1243 on: September 22, 2021, 08:15:52 pm »
Yes Mr C!!!! YESSSS!!!

Bowie was a bloody genius~! 

For example: *and I could go on...
(I heard this info from a podcast and this is backed up by wikipedia)

Take "Life on Mars"  by Bowie, an all-time favourite of mine, which was written as a parody of "My Way" (Sinatra's version), which when you listen to it.. you can hear how he tweaked the song to transform it into something new and gorgeous.. *check the wikipedia for the song's info cause its long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKcl4-tcuo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:18:29 pm by dippedinblush »

« Reply #1244 on: September 22, 2021, 08:36:11 pm »
I love Alivis Costello. Just so cool! Hope you like this
https://youtu.be/eD_24nDzkeo

and a little joy division
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1tdTS_Jr8s

and one more. Bowie! Grew up with his music. This song was off the album 'Let Dance" about 1983 ish. Love it.

https://youtu.be/6g8tMiqxNec

John Cooper Clarke there at the beginning and end of the Joy Division song. I find it quire sad watching Ian Curtis on video, knowing how it all ended.  His expression sometimes says it all.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #1245 on: September 22, 2021, 08:44:11 pm »
Yes Mr C!!!! YESSSS!!!

Bowie was a bloody genius~! 

For example: *and I could go on...
(I heard this info from a podcast and this is backed up by wikipedia)

Take "Life on Mars"  by Bowie, an all-time favourite of mine, which was written as a parody of "My Way" (Sinatra's version), which when you listen to it.. you can hear how he tweaked the song to transform it into something new and gorgeous.. *check the wikipedia for the song's info cause its long...

Nice, you might enjoy this blog post of mine: http://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2019/06/beijing-2019-18-bowie-by-rock-1000th.html

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1246 on: September 22, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
New Jackson Browne, "Downhill from Everywhere"

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #1247 on: September 23, 2021, 12:48:56 pm »
Since Alvin and Costello was brought up I thought I'd add this album.  Pretty much a catchy listenable album start to finish.  Arvis actually said he wasn't that proud of it because he said it was just an easy to make commercial album, but it's one of my favourites of his. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qeB5NxyXc&list=OLAK5uy_mRQT5FBfZ18m9x2aY4R1dxa6Vr23KDB3

« Reply #1248 on: September 29, 2021, 11:56:34 pm »
Nice, you might enjoy this blog post of mine: http://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2019/06/beijing-2019-18-bowie-by-rock-1000th.html

Mr. C you are awesome, man!  That exhibit sounds like such a strange experience (especially if they played Bowie albums in the background while you looked at various pictures and exhibits) and it was in China of all places!   

My middle name is Janine because of David Bowie.  My mom and dad loved/adored him and played Bowie constantly when I grew up. He is the background of my babyhood/childhood/teenage years etc.   When he died I was truly affected.   One of two celebrities I truly shed tears for (the other being George Michael) when they passed.

Mr. C...If you could list your 3 favourite Bowie songs, what would they be?

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1249 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:52 am »
i saw an andy warhol exhibit in seoul a few months ago and they had a section for the velvet underground and of course lots of velvet underground playing in the background. it was cool, i took a picture next to the banana (:
more gg more skill

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #1250 on: October 14, 2021, 05:29:55 am »
Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he’s doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

CANCELLED

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmfi3UbDPnQ

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/brown-sugar-gets-canceled/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:34:47 am by Adel »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #1251 on: October 14, 2021, 07:46:40 am »
"Human rights abuser slave owners are hypocrites who will still have sexual relations with their subhuman property because deep down they think they're at least attractive enough to have sex with. They whip them because they can't deal with the doublethink they've created in their minds!"

NOOOO THE SONG IS ABOUT HOW FUN IT IS TO RAPE SLAVESSSSSS DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

THE STONES SHOULD HAVE DONE A 6 MINUTE SPOKEN WORD POEM ABOUT HOW BAD SLAVERY IS, NO MUSIC, AND THEY SHOULD CITE SOURCES.

YEAH THAT SOUNDS GOOD ON A ROCK ALBUM.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #1252 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:08 am »
Mr. C you are awesome, man!  That exhibit sounds like such a strange experience (especially if they played Bowie albums in the background while you looked at various pictures and exhibits) and it was in China of all places!   

My middle name is Janine because of David Bowie.  My mom and dad loved/adored him and played Bowie constantly when I grew up. He is the background of my babyhood/childhood/teenage years etc.   When he died I was truly affected.   One of two celebrities I truly shed tears for (the other being George Michael) when they passed.

Mr. C...If you could list your 3 favourite Bowie songs, what would they be?

Just 3?  I couldn't possibly.  It'd be easier to list my three least favorites.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:53 am »
i saw an andy warhol exhibit in seoul a few months ago and they had a section for the velvet underground and of course lots of velvet underground playing in the background. it was cool, i took a picture next to the banana (:

For scale?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #1254 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:16 am »
3 Bowie?

1. Rock N Roll Suicide
2. Always Crashing in the Same Car
3. Time

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2021, 08:53:33 am »
"Human rights abuser slave owners are hypocrites who will still have sexual relations with their subhuman property because deep down they think they're at least attractive enough to have sex with. They whip them because they can't deal with the doublethink they've created in their minds!"

NOOOO THE SONG IS ABOUT HOW FUN IT IS TO RAPE SLAVESSSSSS DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

THE STONES SHOULD HAVE DONE A 6 MINUTE SPOKEN WORD POEM ABOUT HOW BAD SLAVERY IS, NO MUSIC, AND THEY SHOULD CITE SOURCES.

YEAH THAT SOUNDS GOOD ON A ROCK ALBUM.

I don't think this medium really worked for that post. Perhaps you could make another Youtube video to properly articulate it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:30:06 am by Adel »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2021, 11:02:43 am »
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2021, 11:12:18 am »
it was a big banana...
Imgur is leaking.   :shocked:

« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2021, 12:05:04 pm »
From the link Adel provided.

"After hearing the record thousands of times, I was unaware that the Rolling Stones’ classic “Brown Sugar” is about enslavement because I can’t understand anything Mick Jagger says in the entire first verse. All I hear is: “uh uh uh uh uh uh JUST AROUND MIDNIGHT.”  Turns out the lyrics are these":

"Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he’s doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight"

I've been listening to the Stones since the late 60s (older sister was a fan), and I'm another who only heard 'blah, blah, blah, down in New Orleans...blah, blah, blah, just around midnight...blah, blah, blah, Brown Sugar...

Now I know what the actual lyrics are, they're not even close to what I had in my head sometimes. Nearly as bad as not knowing Desmond Dekkers confusing lyrics for 'The Israelites.

« Reply #1259 on: October 14, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »
Yeah, pretty much everyone who has post Jim Crow/White Flight concepts of race know the lyrics to Brown Sugar are dodgy at best.

Lets be real, it's not about the horrors of slavery, it's about kinky interracial sex.

Lets also be real, lots of music is about horrible stuff that indulges in fantasy. Like if some R&B artist made a song about doing a slaver's wife or banging a corrections officer or whatever, it would be dodgy and tread on stereotype, but people would also understand the kink element of it.

I dunno...I don't think it should be yanked and while I think it treads into oof territory, there seems to be something there that seems to give it a pass- I think it's the old rule of "If the beats alright, she'll dance all night" and "He ain't talking about ME!" but I also think the excuse of "It's anti-slavery" is pretty lame.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!