Read 168248 times

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: What're you listening to right now?
« Reply #340 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »
On the advice of Rolling Stone I downloaded a few albums. So far I've listened to 'Transatlanticism OK' by Death Cab for Cutie and 'Only By the Night' by Kings of Leon. Both very, very good so thumbs up to RS!

transatlanticism takes me back to first year of university! and only by the night reminds me of my last semester, the TA strike we had at school, and walking through toronto in the winter time.

it's amazing how music can evoke memories like that.

Now listening to Sigur Rós, again recommended by the RS. Damn, this is good. It's a shame I'm just at home now, I should be out on my bike with this playing!

just stay away from cliffs: http://youtu.be/Bz8iEJeh26E

did rolling stone recommend arcade fire? if not, i recommend them. start with their first album "funeral" and then move to "neon bible" and "the suburbs" afterwards.  :D
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #341 on: September 02, 2012, 09:08:25 pm »

The nasty bitter ironic sarcastic lyrics on this album are really connecting with me right now.
It's undoubtedly my favorite of theirs.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #342 on: September 02, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
On the advice of Rolling Stone I downloaded a few albums. So far I've listened to 'Transatlanticism OK' by Death Cab for Cutie and 'Only By the Night' by Kings of Leon. Both very, very good so thumbs up to RS!

transatlanticism takes me back to first year of university! and only by the night reminds me of my last semester, the TA strike we had at school, and walking through toronto in the winter time.

Now listening to Sigur Rós, again recommended by the RS. Damn, this is good. It's a shame I'm just at home now, I should be out on my bike with this playing!

did rolling stone recommend arcade fire? if not, i recommend them. start with their first album "funeral" and then move to "neon bible" and "the suburbs" afterwards.  :D

yeah i love arcade fire, I think they were in the top 20. them and gorillaz, interpol, joan armatrading, kasabian, oxide & neutrino, birds of tokyo, art official intelligence, chase & status..
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #343 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »

yeah i love arcade fire, I think they were in the top 20. them and gorillaz, interpol, joan armatrading, kasabian, oxide & neutrino, birds of tokyo, art official intelligence, chase & status..

*thumbs up*

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »

The nasty bitter ironic sarcastic lyrics on this album are really connecting with me right now.
It's undoubtedly my favorite of theirs.

I just got the blur 21 box set, so I'm going to make my way through these albums in the coming weeks. I listened to "leisure" yesterday and found it sloppy, but fun.

« Reply #345 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:07 am »
I just got the blur 21 box set, so I'm going to make my way through these albums in the coming weeks. I listened to "leisure" yesterday and found it sloppy, but fun.

If you actually liked Leisure, then you should really like the rest, because that album leaves a lot to be desired.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #346 on: September 03, 2012, 09:59:56 am »

If you actually liked Leisure, then you should really like the rest, because that album leaves a lot to be desired.

i'll do it!!

« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:15 pm »
These dirty hippies:

What an incredibly great album.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »
listening to pink floyd's often overlooked gem: "wish you were here"

just look at that artwork!

• hwana
  • Expert Waygook

• September 29, 2010, 09:19:04 pm
« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
Currently listening to some tracks from the new xx album. Had an awesome set of studio monitors back home which would make listening to this kind of thing so much better... still good through the headphones anyway!

http://youtu.be/DD7IwXWfDW4 (The xx - Chained)
http://youtu.be/_nW5AF0m9Zw (The xx - Angels)

« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »
The new Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros album....simply good :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08WeoqWilRQ

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #351 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »
now listening to this classic gem: king crimson's "in the court of the crimson king"

« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
now listening to this classic gem: king crimson's "in the court of the crimson king"

Great album and congrats on 999 posts-- be sure to make the next one count!

« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2012, 11:23:15 am »
Eli, the Barrow Boy by The Decemberists

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:17 am »

Great album and congrats on 999 posts-- be sure to make the next one count!

thanks!

but i think it was to move another thread  :'( :'(

• jgmenator
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2011, 01:49:56 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #355 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:55 am »
Opening riff has been in my head all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhwqAKIp-s

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #356 on: September 11, 2012, 12:06:26 pm »
Eli, the Barrow Boy by The Decemberists

great album! i love "the bagman's gambit" on that album.

• KevinA
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2009, 07:07:09 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2012, 12:42:12 pm »
Wow, 21 pages to sift through. Not sure if there is much hip hop being listened to by other waygookins. I've found myself beginning year 4 out here in Seoul... around year 2 I felt like I was really losing my native accent and developing a bland ELL teachers' accent. To get back in touch with how much an accent can change and the subtle nuances of the English language I started picking up long forgotten hip hop albums and refreshing my senses. Most recently is Quality Control by Jurassic 5.

Just before that was "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..." by Raekwon. Also some Tupac, Common, Boogie Down Productions, KMD, Cyprus Hill, A Tribe Called Quest. It can be very pumping to listen to in the morning on the way to work or at my desk making lesson plans.

At least from the few pages back I have read, not sure that hip hop goes well with the crowd that's gathering. I enjoy listening to just about all types of music. I'd say the genre I listen to the least is any kind of pop... I'm subjected that that through movies, streaming TV shows, in convenience stores, in taxis, sometimes on buses, on the streets... I get a lot of it due to environment so I'll choose something else to listen to.

Here are some other artists I've been listening to: R.E.M., The Pixies, Led Zeppelin, Slightly Stoopid, Marvin Gaye,  Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Arcade Fire, Alice in Chains, Beach Boys, my all time favorite: Neil Young, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »
neil young is my all-time favourite too. i've been listening to an incredible sounding bootleg from the recent crazy horse tour. the new songs are so, so good.

did you see the tracklist for the new album? eight songs (plus an alternate mix of one) on two cds. one of the new songs is in the 26 minute range!! can't wait.

his book is out in the next few weeks too.

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58:32 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwq2FwuM_aM

There is something so ethereal about all of their music.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus