Read 3290 times

• rp27
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2011, 11:39:11 pm
    • Hwacheon, Gangwondo
(EPIK) - no couples housing for married couple (please help)
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:11 pm »
I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar problem and how to go about this...
We are working as 2 foreign teachers for EPIK. Last year we were engaged and were happy to have 2 single apartments! Everyone in our schools and county office knew that we were resigning and that we would be married before the second contract term starts! We were even told that we can move into couples housing in our building.

When our second year started (Aug 2011 term) we were told that there is "no housing" available in our building (the couples apartments in our building is allocated to Principle and VP of my wifes school for their use - not that they ever use it) and in our town there is nothing in the "budget range" (W400 000 per month). We were even told that we can continue living in our seperate single apartments...or share the one (a small one room bachelor apartment).

So we spoke to our local coordinator, they made contact with the county office and also the provincial office (Gangwon-do) and ....

Tey (our schools) looked for a place and found nothing (in budget) by end of August and it seems that the search has now ended and no one is speaking of this anymore! We just continue waiting and stay in the small apartment (on a single bed)....

I feel crappy to bring it up again, but I guess if I stay quiet, they will just ignore it and have us living their for the whole year?!!!!

Help please!!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: (EPIK) - no couples housing for married couple (please help)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »
if you got shared housing, wouldn't one of you then get a housing allowance? that could then be used to cover any costs...?

that really sucks though! i mean... you're married. you should be living together!!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
They should be combining money from your school and the other for housing.  Can you just take the housing allowance?  It's 400,000 each, right?  You can get yourself a nice little place for 800,000.  This is not right.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• rp27
  • Waygookin

• Hwacheon, Gangwondo
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »
yeah...no....apparently they have ONLY 400 000....that's what the county Ed office told my school!

• cmster
  • Adventurer

• June 28, 2010, 01:54:53 am
    • Mississauga, ON
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:31 pm »
I agree with justanotherwaygook. A married couple is not a 1+1 deal where they get to save on housing. Each teacher is entitled to a 400,000 won housing allowance. The budget they should be searching with should be 800,000 won. If, under a gentle reminder, they still don't want to recognize that you're two seperate beings, just arrange to each be paid housing allowance instead of the school providing housing (make sure you specify before the new contracts begin), and find a place on your own with the combined 800,000 won.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »
Yes, you should both elect to take the 400k allowance (total 800k/mo) and then find a place for yourselves.  You should be able to find a nice place for *much* less than 800k.

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:47 pm »
My wife and I were also told that we only had 400k budget between us when we looked at moving apartment. We didn't push it further because we had already decided to stay where we are, but our contracts certainly say 400k each.

• rp27
  • Waygookin

• Hwacheon, Gangwondo
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:26:15 am »
SO - There is no 400 000 for us to take because (GET THIS) they used the money to build housing for foreigners!!! But the building has only single apartments!! The 3 big apartments in the new building is "not available" to foreigners! wtf!!

Also - I dared to bring up the contract: Art 12, c:8 that says married people are entitled to couples housing and I was told: It means we can live together and says nothing about size. So we can live together in the small apartment.

There is no winning, is there?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:18 am »
SO - There is no 400 000 for us to take because (GET THIS) they used the money to build housing for foreigners!!! But the building has only single apartments!! The 3 big apartments in the new building is "not available" to foreigners! wtf!!

Also - I dared to bring up the contract: Art 12, c:8 that says married people are entitled to couples housing and I was told: It means we can live together and says nothing about size. So we can live together in the small apartment.

There is no winning, is there?

Unfortunately, they can choose to provide the housing instead of the housing allowance.  If they are already providing accommodation, they have actually fulfilled the contract.  Schools are not obliged to provide the housing allowance - it's their choice which option they take.  In addition, they're correct in saying that there is no restriction on how small the accommodation can be even if it is couples housing.  Unless you had a written commitment to move into couples housing/a bigger apartment, you basically have to accept that the bigger of the two individual apartments is probably the best you're going to get out of them. 

However, I do agree with the previous posters in pointing out that you're each entitled to 400 000 worth of accommodation so they should be looking at places of up to 800 000 won in rent. 

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
Unfortunately, they can choose to provide the housing instead of the housing allowance.  If they are already providing accommodation, they have actually fulfilled the contract.  Schools are not obliged to provide the housing allowance - it's their choice which option they take.

Not true.

Article 12.3 clearly states that the employee can request the housing allowance, but they must inform the employer before the contract commences.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:41:57 pm »
Unfortunately, they can choose to provide the housing instead of the housing allowance.  If they are already providing accommodation, they have actually fulfilled the contract.  Schools are not obliged to provide the housing allowance - it's their choice which option they take.

Not true.

Article 12.3 clearly states that the employee can request the housing allowance, but they must inform the employer before the contract commences.

Yes, thank you.  The OP stated that they have already begun the contract so, at this stage, the choice is actually that of the school. 

• rp27
  • Waygookin

• Hwacheon, Gangwondo
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:04 pm »

Not true.

We were thinking of requesting the housing allowance - but before our contract started we were told that we are getting the couples apartment in our building, so we didn't worry. After we came back from vacation and started our second contract term we were told :o : "NO"

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
This is why you should save up so you can take the housing allowance and get your own place.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »
I'd keep politely pushing for this one. Your school is being cheap, and they know it. They probably didn't budget properly, so now they're hoping that if they're unhelpful enough, you'll just drop the issue. Don't do that. You may want to start a bit of subtle emotional warfare -- invite your co-teachers over for dinner so they can be uncomfortable in your tiny, cramped apartment. Be very visibly sad.

Are you both working at the same school? It's a bit unclear from your posts. If you are, your only option is really to ask where the money has gone between this year and last -- the were providing two apartments, so the money WAS there. If it's not now, it's because they mismanaged it. If you're working at separate schools, then one of the schools is straight up pocketing the housing money, and you can kind of play them off against each other.

There's always the comedy option of asking for the two apartments again if they won't provide you with either your current place plus a housing allowance or a bigger place. It might bring home the point that they're stiffing you, but you might also have to accept having two apartments :).