Read 1318 times

going home
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »
I am going home after being in Korea for 3 years.  Will there be culture shock or am I just worrying about nothing?

• shmoogrin
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2010, 03:08:32 pm
    • Jinju, South Korea
Re: going home
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »
Yeah, there will be, it is generally called reverse culture shock.  Although the effects may not be a severe as the shock of moving away from your home country to another, you may find youself feeling a sense of dislocation, especially at first.  You may find that you notice a lot of things about your home culture that you never noticed before either, and unfortunately, many of those things will not be positive.  The best thing to do is reconnect with friends and family, talk about your feelings about being home, the differences between the two cultures, and if you are very lucky you will have a friend that has travelled a lot as well that can really understand what you are going through.  Good luck!

Re: going home
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »
I experienced

1.  Feeling of dislocation for first month or so.

2.  You have to start up again with friends and they might even have NEW friends and new social rythms whom they are now closer to than you even though you have known them longer and you have to be careful and slow getting back in. to the swin of things.

3.  Shared housing and less savigns compared to Korea = suck.

4.  Much slower pace in daily life, less crowding, bustle and 24 hr activity left me feeling bored and restless tbh, like an old fuddy dudy in retirement in some boring suburb.  Oh and that was in London, so imagine how it is when I go to the burbs to see my familly....

The main way to overcome all of these things and to make a smooth transition is to be going into something you're enthusiastic about, like higher ed or the career of your choice. 

Otherwise yoooooooou'll be baaaaaaaaack....