Read 6598 times

Cable company recommendations with English channels?
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:51:39 am »
Last year I lived in an apartment where the wiring only allowed me to choose between having cable or internet. I chose internet. This year I live in a normal apartment and I can have both.

I want to have CNN International at the very minimum. But can anyone recommend a good cable company and tell me some English channels they get and what they pay, and the plan name if there is one?

Sorry, just really excited about not having a year of silence again.

:)

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Cable company recommendations with English channels?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:22 am »
i have olleh tv, and that definitely comes with cnn along with msnbc, airiang, and a bunch of movie channels.

i think cnn might be standard, but i'm not sure.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Nads222
  • Explorer

• August 30, 2011, 09:11:19 pm
    • Dongtan
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »
Qook Skylife is pretty sweet for around 35 chons a month. You get CNN, SKY, and a whole lot of news channels. My favourites are Discovery and Natgeo, although recently thet started airing more Korean shows. BBC knowledge was also very handy, but alas, was cancelled. Whatever package you go for, make sure it has CGV channel, as it has the most English shows, and Star Sports is very nice for international sports, not just baseball and computer games.

• hildydoo
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 01:41:10 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:31 am »
I have HYN (which I'm pretty sure is hyundai). It has a decent selection (CNN international, Discovery, NatGeo, Arirang, and FoxLife--which shows a lot of US sitcoms!). I only pay about 15,000W for it a month, and I'm thinking of upgrading to get several BBC channels (I'm a fan of BBC shows, so I'm seriously thinking about getting them!).

• Kev20
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 08:59:11 pm
    • Gumi-si
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:53:53 am »
I moved into an apartment that already had about 60 channels on cable. I have Discovery and some FOX channel that are regularly in English and have some good shows that I would never watch at home like 'Wildest Catch', 'Bones', and 'Bear Grylls'.

I also have four sports channels which all insist on broadcasting the same baseball game at the same time every night of the week. Luckily SBS ESPN shows Premier League soccer, and MCB Sports shows Champions League (both in Korean but it's better than listening to British pundits!)

As for movies, there's one channel that keeps repeating 'Jarhead' about three times a week. I really know my stuff on 'Jarhead'.

• Kev20
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 08:59:11 pm
    • Gumi-si
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:48:38 am »
Qook Skylife is pretty sweet for around 35 chons a month. You get CNN, SKY, and a whole lot of news channels. My favourites are Discovery and Natgeo, although recently thet started airing more Korean shows. BBC knowledge was also very handy, but alas, was cancelled. Whatever package you go for, make sure it has CGV channel, as it has the most English shows, and Star Sports is very nice for international sports, not just baseball and computer games.

Is it possible to get Star Sports on cable or do I have to get satellite? Also is SBS ESPN on Skylife?

I have been looking at SK Broadband and they offer a TV package but don't offer too much details about it. Does anyone have SK TV or know anything about it? Thanks.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
I have Allen TV which has some english channels including BBC, FOX, and CNN.  I wouldnt waste money on it since i can get those on Justiv.tv .   Only reason i have it is for the childrens show CBeebies for my daughter.   I dont want her learning Korean. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• ah000
  • Adventurer

• May 26, 2010, 06:55:04 pm
    • korea
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
http://www.skyangel.com/
Allows you to get many English channels through the internet.  You can connect it with an HDMI cable to your TV.  It is a faith based network.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:24:30 pm »
I have had cable TV and various types of Skylife.  I prefer Skylife by far.  I believe that KT Olleh Skylife has Star Sports.  I just changed skylife providers because one of them made Star Sports only accessible with HD TV.  I dropped that company as quickly as I could.  Make sure you ask about the channels and programming you want.  Some programming is premium and others are not.  You have to pay more for the premium programming, usually.

• river
  • Veteran

• May 31, 2011, 01:49:35 pm
    • Hongseong
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »
Hello TV is pretty cool i actually enjoy it :o) im not sure how much it costs but its not more than W50 000 i think its around 30. CNN BBC American series mostly crime drama's and a  few reality shows on Fox, On Style, Fashion N and 2 or 3 others. Movies on channed 21 forgot the name mostly popular big movies in Americs and on weekends they will play the Whole series like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and stuff. Korean drama's galore, Music mostly Kpop and a few American songs every now and 3 weeks ...