Read 4219 times

• doksuri
  • Newgookin

• September 16, 2011, 03:32:05 pm
    • South Korea
thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies... tenuous situation requires removal of my original post
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:18:27 pm by doksuri »

Re: Accused of hitting a student, police called to hagwon, 11th month firing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »
You need to seriously edit that.  More can be less.

you lost me at para 3 and I fear I may be one of the kinder posters around.

I'd love to offer advice but no way in hell I'm reading through all that.  You need to condense it.

And did you hit the kid or not?  Plus Jerry sounds lik a real bloody whackadoo!

• tideout
  • Adventurer

• December 25, 2010, 10:13:25 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:39:45 pm »
Doksuri,

DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP's correct. I started to read it and got lost in the incredible number of paragraphs. At the "other" ESL board, the jackals would have cleaned you to the bone.

I'm curious if you were merely accused or charged etc.with the kid situation. Clearly a bad situation. I'm sure you can get some half way decent perspective here but try to boil it down to a few modest paragraphs for readability.

Best wishes.

• doksuri
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:32 pm »
I added a condensed version at the top of the original post.

To answer the question of whether or not I hit the student: if the behavior of playfully bopping the students on the head with a thin softcover textbook constitutes "hitting" and is illegal then I could be found guilty hundreds of times over. The more salient points in my mind are: 1) that I hadn't to my knowledge received a single parent complaint the entire time I worked at the school, 2) that my behavior towards the students in general, and toward this student in particular, had not changed in this regard for months.

In other words I think I haven't done anything wrong, I think I was well-liked by the students, and I think I'm being scammed out of the severance and fired without legitimate reason, and apparently because I was told on July 20th, which was month 10, that I would have to quit more than 30 days later, the hagwon director can get away with it with no consequence.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:24:32 pm by doksuri »

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:10:21 pm »
you couldn't take five minutes to read it over? i read it all doksuri! but........  :blank: i don't have any advice.

it sounds to me like it won't swing in your favour.

did the other jobs at the other two schools completely evaporate? what about another school?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• doksuri
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:16:53 pm »
thanks for reading taeyang, it's no doubt a pretty unique situation that not many other teachers in Korea will have ever run into, although I'm hoping that enough have run into something similar that they can offer me some guidance.

The job at school A will be open again probably in March, and as for school B it's filled the coming year. Finding a job is less the issue than the fact that my reputation has been unjustly tarnished at immigration, potentially preventing me from working in Korea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:21:52 pm by doksuri »

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:16 pm »
bad school. You have three options.  1) find a job within 30 days of being fired/having visa cancelled. 2) leave korea and get a tourist visa, look for work. 3) go home.

For cases 1 + 2 you will need a complete new set of documents.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:52:57 pm »
I still strongly adive you to sort out this thread.  It is just too messy now with the addendums etc.

Write out what you want to say in word then paste it in the op, deleting the original.  More people will be bothered to read it and want to help then, I can assure you.  No offense.

Wow that a'hole director sounds like my old boss in bangi-dong, Jamshil.  When I refused to be fired with 3 days notice and recieve zero pay for the last month worked he went nuts, tried to kidnap me, locked me in a room and then went to immi and told lies about swearing at studetns, smashing up his hakwan and having prostitute and drugs parties.  I got off the charges but never saw my money despite filing a claim with my Korean gf at the labor office in songpa-gu.

You have played the cops and immi officers the recording of him saying he was going to falsely accuse you yet?

As for advice, I have no idea if the cops and immi oficers aren't being sympathetic to you.  it's a real toughie.  If nothign works out get a new set of docs and re-enter and re-apply for a new job.  Make sure you file a labor office claim to get all you're owed, but again don't hold your breath as we will counter claim that he lost business due to you hitting the kids etc....   You really need a Korean friend here and the only reason I got off of the false charges against me were

a.  My new Korean boss came with me to every meeting

b.  Both the cops and immi officers were disgusted by the way he behaved towards them as well as me and my new boss and concluded he was not  adecent person and htus not to be believed.

You could try a visit to the 'Foriegner's Human Rights' office in haebangchan, they were pretty useless after me and a friend got jumped by a gang of 5 Koreans and then they climed assualt charges against us even though we had cuts and bruises and they had none....  I only say that so as to not get your hopes falsely high as being realistic is better than falling down from a cloud of false hope...

Sounds like old Jerry lost him a lot of cash and he's compensating by trying to screw you over.

NB - to other newbs out there, playfuly or not, tapping students on the head is so not a good idea.  In Asia parents really hate this as the feet symbolise impurity but the top of the head is sacred and sybolises purity etc or something like that.

Wishing you the best of luck with your situation.  Hope you work it out man.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:02:03 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

• tideout
  • Adventurer

• December 25, 2010, 10:13:25 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
Hey doksuri,

I took at the reduced post. I think DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP has laid out the options pretty well for you. Some may differ on the details but I've heard a lot of people have marginal luck in getting these things resolved here. Not impossible but lengthy and uncertain.

I won't go off topic on it but I've been burned twice in two other countries on ESL jobs. It's a personal decision, sometimes more about finances than anything else, but my thought on this is how can you minimize the damage and move on well? If you're staying you want to get that paperwork all lined up so you have options as soon as possible right? I won't belabor the point but you don't want to find yourself too caught up in "old business" and start missing the next round of better opportunities. Easy to say I know and hard to do. You apparently did fine up until month 10 and that doesn't sound like you're the issue - you can bounce back from this.
Keep your head up. I hope things move forward quickly for you.

Regards,
tideout

• Currymarie
  • Waygookin

• September 02, 2011, 01:54:53 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »
Wow, very sorry to hear of such trouble. Have you, or can you, consult a lawyer? It seems to me that may be the only way considering all that has happened. Hope everything works out for you.

• Llynne
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2011, 02:06:23 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
sucks.  the press centre in Seoul offer free advice from a labour lawyer http://english.seoul.go.kr/lh/support/scof5.php
i was fired once without reason and my pay withheld, a quick phonecall from a labour lawyer informing them of my intent to take it to court was all it took to get my pay and extension on my housing etc

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:14 am »
My question is why to you wish to remain in Korea?  Just cut and run.

• gwhitey09
  • Waygookin

• November 30, 2010, 02:07:53 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:35:21 pm »
Hitting students in the head with anything is not a good idea.
It could easily be mistaken for something malicious.
What you may deem playful could be viewed as vicious
through the eyes of little kids.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 02:33:03 pm »
^^^The hitting isn't good but in this case that's a realllly small detail.

If your hagwon seems dodgy from the start, you should quit immediately. I mean that. Never mind the visa, anything... you're just asking for this to happen.

Yeah... you have to get out of there. When you're gone, post the name of the school online so that other people don't have to go through the same thing.