Read 10582 times

Korean wedding attire for a female foreigner
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »
I looked for an answer but nothing seems to be popping out at me. ...A friend of mine just asked me to go with him to a wedding.

What the hell do I wear? I don't want to wear the wrong thing especially to someone's big day. He said the last wedding he went to was a casual affair...but for a girl is this different? Can I wear a dress over the knee? Can I show shoulder or a little bit of chest?

Any colours I should avoid?

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Korean wedding attire for a female foreigner
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »
do you know anybody there? besides the person who invited you, of course. if not, you can probably get away with just wearing jeans. weddings here aren't exactly the same as they are back home... they're a lot faster for one!

just wear something appropriate, y'know? i'm a boy, so i've worn khakis, and a button down shirt and even a polo to one wedding. enjoy the free food too!!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
I'd avoid showing shoulders or chest and try to wear a dress/skirt and look, in general, nice and put-together.

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »
I'd agree on the no chest/shoulders thing anytime you're trying to look nice in Korea. I went to a wedding this past winter and wore pants and a nice blouse. It was too cold for a dress. Everyone else was in similar attire, except for the wedding party. You might also want to ask if it's indoors or outdoors because that may affect your decision.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:49:04 pm »
do you know anybody there? besides the person who invited you, of course. if not, you can probably get away with just wearing jeans. weddings here aren't exactly the same as they are back home... they're a lot faster for one!
That's an understatement. :)  I went to one a few months ago and the the entire thing from start to finish including lunch and photo session was about 45 minutes.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »
I have a grey and black dress that I just bought. It covers my shoulders, but my arms are exposed (could wear a cardi) comes up high on my chest and is about to my knee. Would that be appropriate with a pair of heels or something?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 08:41:58 am »
I have a grey and black dress that I just bought. It covers my shoulders, but my arms are exposed (could wear a cardi) comes up high on my chest and is about to my knee. Would that be appropriate with a pair of heels or something?

Yes, that would be perfect!  Black is a popular colour at weddings here.  When I went to my co-teacher's brother's wedding in mid-January, I asked her what to wear.  Her response was that the outfit I'd had on the previous day was perfect - it was a black pants suit.  If it's a typical Korean wedding, the dress code will be fairly casual.