Read 4624 times

GEPIK Pay Scale
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »
I need some help sorting this out.

My co-teacher and I are trying to figure out what my salary should be next year. According to the scale, when they say "Minimum two years of full time English teaching experience at  accredited institution(s)" can that mean a non-GEPIK or non-public school job? Like, for example, a hagown or after school class?

I'm pretty sure it does, since in Category 2 they specify "Employed as a Category 2 teacher at GEPIK for one full year."

But does anyone else know for certain? Thanks in advance for your help.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
Re: GEPIK Pay Scale
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Yes, that does include a hagwon.  I have that as one of my qualifications and I get the bump in salary for it. However, you may need to get an employment record from a previous employer (hagwon or otherwise) to show that you were employed there for the full year.  If it doesn't state the full year, you will not receive that bump in salary.  This form should be kept by your teacher with your contract and payscale papers so they have proof if asked for it in the future.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• ondoleft
  • Explorer

• November 30, 2010, 12:29:34 pm
    • korea
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:47 am »
Hello,

Sheila, I was wondering if you knew where I could find this in writing? The people at my school seem to think it only applies to time working at a public school and I need to show them something authoritative to settle it!

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:58:58 am »
It includes hagwons...if your hagwon was legit and legal and filed all the proper paperwork.  Which, as it turns out, neither of mine did. :(
What you need to do is go to your local ministry of education building and ask them for employment history verification or something like that.  It's a form they print out, it costs a few dollars.  If you find someone at the info desk who speaks any English at all, they'll know what you want; there are only a few reasons a foreigner would walk into the building.  Anyway, take that form to your school, and if your time adds up to 2 years, you get the pay raise.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:53 am »
I'm with EPIK,  but it certainly includes Hagwons.  You have to get a letter from the director of the Hagwon that states your employment period.

footnote.. My Director wasn't one of my references but EPIK rang him up anyway and asked him a few questions about me.  It was lucky that we were on good terms

• trueblue
  • Explorer

• September 20, 2010, 09:44:54 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:05 am »
My PS told me hagwon experience didn't count, so my two years of hagwon started me off the at the bottom rung of the paygrid.  They told me only other PS and Unis count.  I however wouldn't be surprised if they said that just to save a bit of coin.  Call EPIK and ask?

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:26:00 am »
Looks like this is not uncommon from PS; I'm fighting to get my 2 years experience recognized now.  I had to get my GEPIK coordinator involved, but they won't do much other than call the school.  My coordinator partially blamed me for this problem, even.  I've been told that one can get around going to the education office, as my hagwon didn't register me, either.  However, I'm being told I must go to my old hagwon in person to do this.  (Of course, the old hagwon is at least 2 hours away and people there barely speak English.  The boss is not always there, either.)
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:35 am »
If you worked at a public place, but they didn't employ you for the whole year because they didn't want to pay you for summer holidays make sure you get them to write "One Academic Year" on the letter of employment. I almost got dinged for that and didn't get my pay raise

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:17:09 am »
Hello
Maybe some long term GEPIKer can help me answer this.

I have 2.5 years teaching at public schools in korean.
A bachelors in a non english related field.
and a 100 online TEFL certificate.

I have searched and it seems 2.3 is the max GEPIK will pay for me.
Maybe I was looking at on old version.

Seems a little low compared to EPIK.

• lecwisha
  • Newgookin

• September 07, 2011, 08:12:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
You need to moved into a EPIK program! The pay is way better!!!

• blueyes9765
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 02:51:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:45 pm »
Ok so I have an exact answer for you. I just did this. You need to recieve a letter of verification from the board of education for your city. You must have been registered for at least one year. The problem is most hagwons do not register you right away. SO you may have work 12 months but you were registered for 10 or 11 and you can not recieve the raise. I happened to work at my school an extra 5 weeks so I was able to get it~otherwise I would not have been able to. Also you have do a 100 TESOL course for the same raise. I found one for 190$ so it pays for itself in less than 2 months.