[note: deleted]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:23:49 pm by #basedcowboyshirt »

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
Re: Do your coworkers like each other?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:33:50 am »
Ugh...sounds unpleasant.

Almost all of the teachers at my school really dislike the VP but will never say anything like that to him directly, of course.  Apart from that, there are a couple of teachers who are 'tolerated' but I've never heard of any shouting matches or intense dislikings (apart from the VP).  If anything, that type of atmostphere has arisen between the 3 NETs here rather than the KTs.

My school seldom does dinners or teacher outings and there are always people who complain but, for the most part, everyone seems to put aside their differences and just get along.  The female teachers especially seem to get on really well with each other.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »
I think mine work well together and get along fine.  Your school sounds like hell.  I would make sure you stay out of it and hope it changes.  Wish you the best of luck.  Sometimes not knowing Korean is a gift :)

GL to you.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:10:10 pm »
It's like Mean Girls, but with Korean teachers.

I can see it now: "Mean Seonsengnims".   I'd pay to see that. 

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »
Out of curiosity... Can you tell us if you're officemates are male/female, older/younger?

I feel like I've been really lucky at both my schools these last two years (outings, smiles, some people who actually cared what I did with my day, gifts, etc).

Last semester I had my first experience with something like yours. My co left on pregnancy leave, and everyone in the office besides me was now new to the school (me, the main English coteacher, the traveling English coteacher, the ethics/practical teacher, and the parent who is in charge of all the afterschool clases.

The ethics/practical teacher was an older lady that definitely had a...how can we say... stick up her ass... About everything. For example, I tossed a bottle in the regular trash bag (which is what my previous co's had me do since the school doesnt have seperate recycle containers) and she screamed at the traveling co for a good ten minutes. She didn't ask her to tell me not to do that, it was for some reason the traveling English teacher's (a Korean) fault. (?!) She would just yell at everyone and anyone for any reason. The other people in the office just straight ignored her (didn't look at her or say anything unless asked). The minute she left the room they would start gossiping about her (the traveling co would ask me about how I would handle the situation, ask what it's like in American schools, and generally keep me abreast of the latest gossip).

Then one day I came in and the old lady was gone... We had a new, younger teacher in her place. And everything is as it was.

After that I realized how lucky I had been so far (and am now) in terms of office relations. I really had no idea it only took one person to start an office war and keep it going ~!

• seandon
  • Explorer

• October 04, 2010, 12:52:04 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:01 pm »
AT my first school there was always tension between the older and younger teachers. maybe a feeling that the new young teachers were there to eventually replace them sooner or later?  makes for a terrible working environment though. i would hate to be working there.

• jonnybayou
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2011, 08:07:08 am
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »
Hello I am new to this site...I am also new to teaching in Korea.  At both my schools the people in my office (6 people in each) as well as everyone I have met have been very nice.  It seems like they get along very well together however I don't understand what they are saying to each other.  :) We all eat together and share snacks and they speak to me in English.  Their English is much better than my Korean  :)  They are a mix of male and female. I am enjoying working here...Jon

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »
My school is one big, happy family (about 30 homeroom teachers).  Everyone gets along for the most part, from the Principal, to the VP, to the teachers, to the maintenance guy to that goofy foreigner in the English room.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »
They were, but doesn't seem like it anymore.

My principal (at a hagwon) is currently bending to the whims of one mother.  She's adding a lot of new wacky rules and stressing everyone out because of 1 person.  I personally think the only way it'll stop is if students quit because of the new stuff.  Seriously 1 mother ruling a whole business is ridiculous, but so goes the life of an academy. 

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
It's like Mean Girls, but with Korean teachers.

I can see it now: "Mean Seonsengnims".   I'd pay to see that.

I swear, I wish there was a like button...stuff like this has me laughing outloud in the office, followed by weird stares from co-workers...haha)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:31:08 am by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• incognito84
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2008, 01:51:25 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »
I'm at a hagwon after years of PS so my situation is a bit different.

At my PS in the first year, everyone was like a big family. In the second year, a bunch of teachers got moved around and after that, the office became extremely quiet and no one really seemed to like each other. Our office stopped going out altogether.

My relationships at my PS with my co-teachers were always good. There were some I didn't like (especially this old crank that did nothing but hit and insult the students) but I kept my feelings to myself.

At the hagwon, all my co-workers are American and I'm not. I like them okay most of the time but we're so different (culturally and in other ways) that I often find myself drifting away from them. They're really extroverted (I'm not) and I just find that the way they see the world is quite a bit different from me. When opinions arise we inevitably disagree. We get along when it matters, though. They're good people which is all that is important at the end of the day.

My Korean co-teachers at the hagwon are a mixed bag. I like most of them but a lot of them were hired because of their looks. They're 99% female, thin and attractive. Some of them are genuinely good teachers and very approachable. Others seem to be really catty and difficult to work with. It took a lot of work on my part to get on their good side since I'm not the kind of person that ever sucks up to people. I just play it straight which doesn't go over well here.

So yeah, that's it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:43:26 pm by incognito84 »

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »
I don't mean just your coteachers specifically, but your school in general. Does there seem to be any camaraderie between the other teachers?

I feel like my school might be a little odd - every day there's a shouting match (not just raised voices, but shouting in anger) between at least two of the people in my office. Nobody ever smiles at each other. There are no school or departmental outings, and teachers never socialize outside of school with one another. There are always vicious rumours going around about a lot of the staff members.

My former coteacher who changed schools said that all of her coworkers at her new school are super friendly, mutually supportive, and kind.

What's your school like? Does everyone hate each other? Or is it a more healthy atmosphere?

I wish I knew this. I have pondered it and wondered about the dynamics of my school. Except for one shouting match with my ex CT and the secretary, I've never seen an open animosity in any of the teachers. However, there is one teacher who I noticed never, ever, cracks a smile and when I asked my current CT about it, she told me 'that teacher is pondering retirement'. All I can say is "Yay!" and not because she's leaving (I don't even know her) but because whenever ppl retire from my school we go to a buffet, banquet style to celebrate their retirement and since we so seldom go out to eat, me likey retirement time...haha.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:50:14 pm »
I work at three different public schools, and two out of three of them, are quite friendly with each other. There is one school that seems a little anti-social in the cafeteria, but no shouting from what I've seen,