Read 6454 times

Homophones
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »
Here is a lesson that I did on homophones, there is a preview presentation and a game.  The preview presentation can also be played as a game, the words are in English and Korean, but the Korean words are revealed last.  In my class a table or team received points if they could translate the English word.  I would double check the Korean though because some of them may not be the most common words used by your students. 

There is also a worksheet that you can use to review the words with your students to ensure their understanding.

Re: Homophones
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:26 am »
Here is a worksheet I made about homophones.  My 3rd year middle school students do pretty well with this, I'm giving it to my second year students tomorrow.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:02 am »
Hey,

Here is a lesson on Homophones I did after the student's finals.
I attached my Lesson Plan, Worksheet and Bomb Game.

Here is the video I used to introduce the lesson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0VpP7VxtYg

• beth.mg2
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2014, 03:43:49 pm
    • Seogwipo
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »
thanks for that bomb game, Cinnamoroll.Chacha! 
I thought Gangnam Style might be a little dated, but I decided to try it with my class anyway and they went crazy for it.  Psy apparently never goes out of style.
"Canadians are generally indistinguishable from Americans, and the surest way of telling the two apart is to make the observation to a Canadian." Richard Staines

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:19 pm »
thanks for that bomb game, Cinnamoroll.Chacha! 
I thought Gangnam Style might be a little dated, but I decided to try it with my class anyway and they went crazy for it.  Psy apparently never goes out of style.

:wink: I think Gangnam Style is one of those cheesy classics you can't get tired of! Glad it helped.

• ShanaC
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2013, 03:10:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:18:40 am »
I'm not getting any sound in the Gangnam game. The audio icon is there, but it says it can't find the file...? Maybe I need the file in the same folder...? I know that has been the case in the past.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:15:27 pm »
What happened is that in that ppt, the audio wasn't embedded in it but instead linked to a file on the person's computer.

You can fix it by either finding a copy of the same audio file and tell it to use that or find a working copy of the same template and copy stuff between them to make one that's got sound.

edit: Though the ppt works fine for me in Office 2010; doesn't ask for any files.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:41:20 am by slycordinator »

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 10:15:13 am »
Also, here is an ever-so-slightly modified worksheet of the awesome one by Cinnamoroll.Chacha had uploaded. It's edited because the Korean on the worksheet was wrong. See was given as 참조 which is a noun that means "reference" and translates as "see" in the sense that the Pope is The Holy See to Catholics.

edit:
And, in the bottom section, if you're in the northern hemisphere, the sun is actually closest to the earth during winter, not summer as the sentence claims. So, I changed those two small things.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:20:12 am by slycordinator »

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:31:22 am »
nice lesson. I really like it!
Open your mind.

• jschohl86
  • Explorer

• August 26, 2014, 09:05:08 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:58:13 pm »
Thank you, posters, for your materials. I've added a few things and have written a lesson plan. I have been playing the homophones video to begin the class (I've also included a shortcut to the video on the lesson plan). I've also made some cards for a memory game. Students get into groups and take turns turning over two cards. If they get a match, they keep the cards.

Next activity has the students turn their cards face-up, and spread them across their table. Teacher reads a sentence with one of the words, and students slap the card that matches the correct word. This activity should get them to think in context.

My students usually destroy any game material that I come up with, and they generally ignore any instruction or game play. These activities actually had most of them involved and excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0VpP7VxtYg