Read 2290 times

• kennetic
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2011, 07:46:20 am
    • Donghae
Sick in Donghae
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:23:33 pm »
Hello, for the past week I have been sick and pretty much been forced to continue teaching with a barely usable throat and excessive coughing. All my coteacher has done is bring me to the school nurse and give me pills/tea mix of some sort. Its been a week and my symptoms have barely changed.

How do I seek clinical help in Korea? Im from Canada so Im used to free health care. Do I need my ARC yet? How much does it cost to get checked up at a clinic? I would really like to go tonight if possible since I've been living on like 3-5 hours of sleep a night from coughing.

Thanks.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Re: Sick in Donghae
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »
Sorry to hear your not doing well.  First off, if your epik take a day off and hit up the doctor.  Don't let them bully you into working thru it.  It's a Korean thing to work when your sick since they don't have subs for homeroom teachers. 
Cost won't be bad.  Call your KT teacher and tell them your new and have an ARC card coming.  Promise to come back with it when you get it.
You'll have to be force full about it.  Just explain your sick and you're going to the doctor. 
Cheers
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• kennetic
  • Adventurer

• Donghae
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:53 pm »
Bah, I also forgot to mention...

I teach at a middle school (where my co-teacher is) mon, wed-fri. Tues I teach at an elementary school. So, I don't know if I should take tomorrow off since its my 1 day a week at the school. Then again if im contagious....

• kennetic
  • Adventurer

• Donghae
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:08:43 pm »
Well here's another question...

What if I call my coteacher at 8 am tomorrow morning, tell him I cannot make the 920 elementary class and want some infir how to reach the hospital. Would that be. Negative reflection of me to Korean culture? I only teach 920-1230 but I've been forcing out sounds the pastvfew days.

• jrod86
  • Waygookin

• June 07, 2010, 01:24:49 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »
Your obviously really sick, it happens when your in a foreign country. Don't force yourself to teach. Its not worth it for your health, or the health of others if you are contagious. Go to the hopsital, get some rest, and they should understand. When your back bring in some fruit and say thank you for their understanding.

• kennetic
  • Adventurer

• Donghae
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:43 pm »
Thanks for the backup guys. I just don't want to make a bad impression in just my 2nd week of classes. I emailed my co-teacher saying I'm going to the clinic tomorrow and asked what I need to show them. If he doesnt reply when I wake up tomorrow I will call him.

Fruit basket eh? Gotcha. 1st stop clinic 2nd stop E-Mart.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:18 am »
Hey,

Sucks that you're sick. I'm not sure how the clinics in Donghae work, but I went to the ER this weekend (at DongIn Hospital) and it went relatively smoothly. I didn't need my ARC card, but I had my medical/Health insurance thing that I got shortly after my arrival. The nurses helped, and found an English speaking doctor. Maybe take your passport just in case, if you have neither of those.

Otherwise, I'd advise you to speak to the foreigners living in your city? We know a really good English speaking pharmacist (also married to a foreigner) in Dae Dong (get in a cab and say Dae Daong Family Mart, it's right across the road, near Paris Baguet and I love Pizza. Green sign I think). There are also quite a few English speaking doctors from what I understand (and my recent experience).

I know the clinics are less expensive than the ER, but I had little choice seeing it was a Sunday. I got two injections and meds and it was only W20 000 (with the insurance). I don't know if that helps you today? It would be a really good idea for you to make a good impression at both your schools, especially if you want them to help you out when you really need it.

If in doubt, speak to Jamie. He's been here ages (4 or 5 years, mostly in Donghae). I'll inbox you his cell number if you need it. He's a star, and can probably help you out with pretty much anything.

Feel better! :)