Read 8436 times

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
INDEX.PHP ERROR
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »
If you have this error most likely you have Mozilla Firefox and it recently updated.  With the new update there was a little bug that has all downloads from our site pop up only as Inded.php

Change the name to something else when you download it and it will work fine.  If that does not work, post here, or change to chrome or internet explorer which still work fine.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2011, 07:34:49 pm
    • Ganggyeonng, South Korea
Re: INDEX.PHP ERROR
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:26:04 am »
Sorry.  What do you mean by, change the name of the file we want to download?  I'm not sure how to do this while downloading. ???

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
When you click download it will pop up a window asking for the download location.  On the file bar it will say index.php.  Change it back to its original name or to something like 1.ppt or 1.doc and it should download fine.  Others have said this works.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:12:21 am »
No idea,  I am simply passing on what someone told me worked.  Did that work?  :laugh:

• scottdk
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:30:13 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:11:29 pm »
After you save it, it will show up as index.php in your download file.  From there you are able to select it and rename it.  When you first click to rename, it will most likely only select the index text, not the php.  You need to click again at the end to completely rename the file as you wish.  Just adding .ppt or .doc will not work (index.php.ppt/index.php.doc).

NOTE: You will not rename when the download option comes up;  renaming after you've downloaded as index.php

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »
I'm not able to change the extension type.

Will it work if I simply add the .ppt(x) at the end of the file name? Because it still says it wants to save as an index.php file.

Start>Control Panel>Folder Options> View tab.  Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types."   Go back and change the file extension
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »
Doing the rename thing doesnt work.

Also i am using both internet explorer and firefox (on four different computers (both at school and at home))

Any more ideas on what to do about this?
내가제일잘나가

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »
Other people seem to be able to get things of this site just fine.  I don't understand it.  For me,  80% of what's up here just doesn't work.  Half the files are corrupted, nothing downloads correctly....it's a shame, because judging from the titles, there's a lot of great stuff here that my kids would love.  I'm giving up.  I've spent enough time trying to get this stuff to work.
I just downloaded fourteen stories from the STORY pack.  One works, and half it's pics are missing.  The other 13 went in the recycle bin.  Of nine downloaded games, I spent an hour fixing one to get it to work.  Not worth the time.  I'd be better off making this stuff from scratch.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:42 pm »
Doing the rename thing doesnt work.

Also i am using both internet explorer and firefox (on four different computers (both at school and at home))

Any more ideas on what to do about this?

Why doesn't it work?  What goes wrong?  Can you re-name it (including changing the file extension).  The file icon should be that of the respective program (.ppt=powerpoint etc.). 
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:13 am »
If you are having problems still, PM me your facebook and I will chat with you until we find a solution for the problem.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:12 pm »
Ok, so i was using Mozilla and Internet Explorer, both of which wouldn't work.

I just downloaded Google Chrome and was able to download some random ppt. looks like i'll be using this for a while...thanks for the advice guys
내가제일잘나가

• digitalmk
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2011, 10:32:58 am
    • Uijeongbu-si
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »
It's not too hard to get around this. The steps are as follows:

1. Right click the file link (ex. "harry_potter.ppt") and click "Save Link As...".

2. A dialog box will pop up.

3. Rename the file from "index.php" to whatever you'd like (in this case - "harry_potter.ppt") When you rename the file from "index.php", make sure you name the file with the appropriate file extension. Check the file you are downloading for the correct extension. (Ex - .ppt   .pptx   .doc   .docx   .avi   .mp4   .pdf)  etc...

4. Make sure "All Files" is selected in the drop-down box.

5. Click Save (저장)

Here is a link to some screenshots I took for the visual learners :D (http://imgur.com/a/e7HcJ)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:07:51 pm by digitalmk »

• flgnk
  • Waygookin

• August 04, 2011, 01:09:02 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »
Hi,
I'm glad to find the work around fixed it for me too.
I'm sure the few that have posted here can't be the only ones experiencing this problem.
I had this problem for the past 2 weeks and I only came across this post and solution by chance.
Perhaps it could be linked to more prominently on the Waygook homepage.
Changing browsers can be a bit of hassle too for people since many have bookmarks and plugins they use regularly.
It would be great if someone could look into this and find a proper solution for Firefox users.

Thanks

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »
For me, it's now asking me what program I want  to use to open the file.  Once I  tell  it  power point or office, it works fine.  It used to identify the program automatically,  but at least it's a step in the right direction.  When the problem first happened,  I couldn't open files at all on here. :o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:18:27 pm by Driver 8 »

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:53:47 am »
Any word on whether or not this will be fixed in the site's programming at some point?  It's a little tedious to find and rename files when you download a set of 10 files for a camp lesson...  ???  I was able to get the rename trick to work, but it was taking too long and some files got corrupted.  I'm sure it's a programming hassle, and I don't want to be ungrateful for the time and energy already being put into regular site maintenance.

I just switched to Google Chrome for now.  Then again, Chrome has a very nice Google Translate plugin, which comes in handy for those Korean sites I come across during a week's worth of desk-warming.  I'm a pretty devoted Firefox follower, but Chrome isn't half bad for short-term anyway.  Hoping to read about a fix for downloads at Waygook.org soon though!

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:04 am »
The situation for me has gotten worse since yesterday morning for some reason.  I can download ppt files, but I can't open them now for some reason because they remain php index files.  Last night, I  uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007.  I don't  know if this has anything to do with the problem I'm having.   I  used to be able to just double click on the file in my downloads and open them and now, I can't do this.  I'm getting some kind of message about needing to have the program installed.  But power point is installed!  Help!  I need a computer expert.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:31:58 am by Driver 8 »

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 11:24:00 am »
Driver 8, are you renaming the files before you try to open them?  Sounds like this might be part of the problem.  As mentioned above, you have to go into the folder to which they've downloaded, select the file, rename the file with a name like "Brilliant Xmas Lesson.doc" or "Funny Tongue Twisters.ppt" including the file type extension.  If you didn't catch the file in the "Save As" step before downloading as digitalmk mentioned, you should still be able to rename it later.  Is the rename solution working for you?

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 11:40:43 am »
Driver 8, are you renaming the files before you try to open them?  Sounds like this might be part of the problem.  As mentioned above, you have to go into the folder to which they've downloaded, select the file, rename the file with a name like "Brilliant Xmas Lesson.doc" or "Funny Tongue Twisters.ppt" including the file type extension.  If you didn't catch the file in the "Save As" step before downloading as digitalmk mentioned, you should still be able to rename it later.  Is the rename solution working for you?

Thank you!  That worked.  This is really frustrating though! >:( How do I know if I want to save something, if  I can't open it and look at it first?

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 09:26:36 am »
The problem has apparently been fixed!  I just want to say thank you to the powers that be for fixing this annoying bug.  Or do I thank Firefox?  Either way, I'm happy this is no longer an issue. :)