Read 9290 times

Lesson: Personalities, Blood Types, Palm Reading
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »
Hello,

I'm English teacher, very happy to post lesson plan. I make lesson plan because students don't know difference of "What are your parents like?" and "What do your parents like?" I ask students, "What are your parents like?" and they tell me what parents like to do, not how parents act. So I make lesson plan.

In lesson plan, I show difference. Then, in lesson plan, I show examples of how to say what parents are like. With this, I go into how to talk about personalities. I use different types of blood types as examples. Koreans really like blood type. Very fun for them. I ask students to raise hand for Blood Type A, then explain in English what Blood Type A is like. They like to laugh at each other at this. Very fun. Also, teach students vocabulary. It is underline in PPT.

Then, in lesson plan, I then show Palm reading. I explain different parts of hand, then different types of line. Very easy for students to understand. Then I talk about 4 different types of lines on hand. On the PPT,  information about lines may be long and hard for students to understand, but I use it to remind myself of information when as I explain lines again in front of class, using the board to draw lines on hand diagram and rewrite explanations simply. This lets me adjust how complicated/simple the explanation is for students.

There are many variations of lines and the more you know, more interesting and fun it can be for your students. They will be very interested. 4 lines is enough, but more you know about the 4 lines, more you can understand and help kids. Website shows what if line curves up or down, etc.
I use this site to get background: http://www.ofesite.com/spirit/palm/lines.htm

For example, lines are broken up into 3: 1. Baby 2. Adult 3. Old. Using background, I can talk more about lines and know what students travel when they are young or want to travel when they are old. They will have lots of fun and you will learn a lot about your students more you learn and try to make interesting fun.

Very important, tell students it is only fun. Many students will be sad when they look at hand and say, "oh, no! I marry 2 times? not one? I will have no children?" So, I tell them that lines mean how many times you fall in love, not how many times you marry, because marry is very important here in Korea.

Students will be very loud, because they want to see what friend's hand is like. But they will have fun. It is good loud and good fun. Just do not let get too crazy. Also, if you help one student read hand, many other students will ask, too. So, either help many students read hand, or help none. It will still be fun if you help many.

I hope you like. Input and advice will help me so thank you.
I know my English bad but I try to be good teacher. Students love this.

Note: Please let me know if file is right. Sorry if photos no show. I will fix. I worked hard for you to use lesson plan.

Out of Four
Fun: ***
Educational ***
Noise: ***
Participation **
Lecturing ***
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:40:08 pm by Shenanigans »

Re: Lesson: Personalities, Blood Types, Palm Reading
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »
Aside from I-don't-know-what is going on with your grammar (I hope it's a joke), this lesson plan was actually really well put together. I think my kids will have a lot of fun with it, especially since they're always asking me what my blood type is and trying to explain the difference.

Fix your grammar, or stop joking. It really detracts people from looking at your PPT, which doesn't have poor grammar. That's my advice.

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:14:10 pm by this_is_someone_else »

• c.zakrajsek
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 10:23:32 am
    • seoul, south korea
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:38 am »
This sounds like a really fun idea, however is it too much for students? I wonder if if will be too complicated to actually get them to speak

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:31 am »
All easy, except for palm reading portion. Slides are complex, but I simplify my explanation. For example, on slide it may say "If your head line points up, than you think more objectively and realistically. If your headline points down, you rely on your imagination". But, in lecture, I say "If your head line points up, you like facts. So Math and Science you will like. If your line points down, you like to think and dream. So art is very good for you".

It easy for students to speak, but not in way you think. The end exercise, ask and tell about partner, can be hard for students. But, most class, students so excited about lesson plan, we have less time to do sharing. That is why I recommend only 4 lines.

What lesson plan is good for is learning about students, making them comfortable in asking you questions, etc. Many students already know about Blood Type, but cannot speak about in English. Before you talk about blood type, ask them it. "Who is Blood Type A?" "What is Blood Type A like?" Many students for blood type AB will say "Blood Type AB is crazy", for example. After you ask students this and get poll of who is blood type A, (or B, etc.), say, "well, this is how you say what Blood Type A is like in English."

Also, when I do palm reading, many students who are normally quiet break out of their shell. They ask me "Teacher, can you read my palm?" "Teacher, how many times will I fall in love?" Many of these students normally do not ask questions. So it is nice that they start feeling comfortable asking. Also, when they ask questions, you reply in English. So, because they are interested, they listen. It helps with speaking and listening in English.

My students have never asked more questions and this lesson plan really brought my students and I closer together.

Thank you for feedback. Of course, all students and class different. But I am happy to answer question.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:57:04 am by Shenanigans »

• rebeccaseden
  • Waygookin

• August 31, 2011, 07:59:58 am
    • Seongju, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »
Aside from I-don't-know-what is going on with your grammar (I hope it's a joke)...
Fix your grammar, or stop joking. It really detracts people from looking at your PPT, which doesn't have poor grammar.

Seriously?!? Not everyone on here is necessarily a native English speaker. Don't be a jerk! You are so rude for saying something like that after someone went out of their way to help you!!!

• kyletr05
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2011, 01:08:37 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:24:44 am »
Aside from I-don't-know-what is going on with your grammar (I hope it's a joke)...
Fix your grammar, or stop joking. It really detracts people from looking at your PPT, which doesn't have poor grammar.

Seriously?!? Not everyone on here is necessarily a native English speaker. Don't be a jerk! You are so rude for saying something like that after someone went out of their way to help you!!!

I was thinking the same thing...She is obviously a Korean teacher. Get a clue, this_is_someone_els e before you start insulting people and making yourself look like a fool.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:26:28 am by kyletr05 »

• lizard
  • Adventurer

• February 28, 2011, 11:04:23 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »
This lesson is awesome! Cheers, Shenanigans. Will try it out today.

• dhunte
  • Waygookin

• November 08, 2010, 09:15:18 am
    • seoul south korea
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »
thanks a bunch for posting this. I was looking for something fun and different to do in my after school class and I think this is going to work great!

thanks again

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:14 pm »
Thanks for the upload Shenanigans! It seems like something that my students will really enjoy.

• kahikigirl
  • Adventurer

• September 30, 2010, 10:20:53 am
    • Jeju-do
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »
For a little game to change things up, I did a Celebrity Blood Type game. I split the kiddos up into groups of 4/5 and gave them white boards. They had 30 seconds to discuss which blood type each celebrity is. Did a countdown then had the kids show their boards. Points to whoever gets it correct.

Enjoy!
-Cassie

• jiiny92
  • Explorer

• November 25, 2011, 09:49:38 am
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »
Cheers Shenanigans. Will give it a shot next week.

• Ritzckrakr
  • Adventurer

• September 22, 2011, 08:06:40 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:50:58 pm »
It really detracts people from looking at your PPT

over 200 downloads, lol!

this is a fun leason! Thank you! I don't seem to have a head line, tho!

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 12:56:02 pm »
I'm definitely going to try this with one of my middle school classes!  I think they'll find it quite interesting!  :D

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »
Hey, great lesson plan although I have to say that the palm reading sounds a little too complicated. I'll definitely adapt it and try it with my grade 3's tomorrow.

• Whimsy
  • Waygookin

• March 01, 2011, 09:24:56 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:45 pm »
Thanks! This looks amazing!

I loved the little jokes in your lesson!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:54 am »
Grammar joke

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
 ;D  I did this lesson in my after school class and one of the boys was very desturbed by the fact that his marraige line said he wasnt going to get married and have children. I had to assure him that its a guideline and it's not set in stone. Thank you for this lesson it really got the boys to talk and they found it very inetersting.

• Catfish
  • Adventurer

• October 27, 2010, 01:57:52 pm
    • Gunsan, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:25 pm »
This looks really good!  I will be using this one most definitely for both after school classes and camps!  Thanks for your work.  Co-teachers and student do really love these kind of activities~~this was the subject students picked as their favorite for camps last year!