Read 1030 times

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
Books for 5th/6th grade next semester?
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »
Has your school chosen/asked you to help choose books for the next semester?

I've been asked to look over them.......the choices are:

대교 / 천재교육 / 교학사 / YBM series

Looks like the YBM is favoured by the other teachers in my school so far.

Re: Books for 5th/6th grade next semester?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:31:37 am »
I was asked to do that last year at my previous school for the 3rd and 4th grade books. The school probably would've let me have a pretty big say in which one was chosen, but I knew I'd be leaving and didn't really want to insist on a text book that mightn't suit some other NET's style so well.

My present school uses the YBM books for grades 3 and 4. I'm usually not one to complain much about text books and often tend towards the "bad workman blames his tools" school of thought. I actually thought the government elementary texts we had, whilst far from perfect, were fairly easy to make something decent out of. But I really do not like these YBM books we have for 3 and 4 now and hope my school doesn't choose them for 5 & 6 next year. There seems to be a lot a activities that just try too hard to be "fun", losing sight of the language learning aim and which the kids find pretty dull as a result.

Re: Books for 5th/6th grade next semester?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:46 am »
The books were unceremoniously dumped in our office the other day, while most of the English teachers were on a field trip with the grade sixes. This gave me time to scan through a bit. I'm basically injecting myself into the discussions one way or another, so that at least they'll have heard me if they meet without me. I mainly wanted to focus on which one uses the most natural/realistic language, as most of my headaches the past year have been around teaching the kids to basically speak an English that no one actually uses.
Stupid Ugly Foreigner. Read it. Guaranteed to make you laugh, make you cry, and also cure your hysterical pregnancy.