Read 4463 times

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• April 11, 2011, 09:07:42 am
    • Korea
Why do people walk through a subway train when it's busy?
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:08:05 am »
Why do people walk through a subway train when it's busy?

I can understand if a person sees an empty seat on another section of the subway train, but if the subway train is packed, and there is likely no seats available, then why would someone push their way through subway car after subway car?

• Ben-Ja-Meen
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm
    • Seoul (Dongdaemun Area)
Re: Why do people walk through a subway train when it's busy?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:27:48 am »
This drives me crazy, too.... here are some explanations based on what I've observed:

1.  Old people are collecting discarded newspapers left by passengers during rush hour.
2.  Old people are looking for a place to sit down.
3.  Young people don't do this as often... but when it happens it's usually because they've got a buddy they're trying to find a few subway cars ahead or behind them.  OR  They know their route really well and are trying to get to the subway car that aligns with the exit stairs at their destination. 
4.  Some people are simply crazy.   

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:39:43 am »
trying to get to the subway car that aligns with the exit stairs at their destination.

Of course, there are other reasons, but in the majority of cases, the above is the simple explanation.

Most cellphone subway apps here will advise you which number car of the train will get you closest to the exit or transfer stairs when you get off the train. And if it's a busy time, it's more likely that some people didn't have enough time to get along to the right part of the platform when they first boarded the train.

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:19 am »
trying to get to the subway car that aligns with the exit stairs at their destination.

Of course, there are other reasons, but in the majority of cases, the above is the simple explanation.

Most cellphone subway apps here will advise you which number car of the train will get you closest to the exit or transfer stairs when you get off the train. And if it's a busy time, it's more likely that some people didn't have enough time to get along to the right part of the platform when they first boarded the train.

Are people in a rush for the sake of being in a rush? If you're an elderly individual, likely retired, and it's the weekend, then there seems like there is no reason to be pushing people to get to the "ideal" subway car.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
I have a list of other questions for anyone who really thinks they can explain the actions of others...

Here is the first:

1. Why do people hate?

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:11:59 am »
I have a list of other questions for anyone who really thinks they can explain the actions of others...

Here is the first:

1. Why do people hate?

I don't mind people walking from one subway car to another.

What I do mind is when I am shoved by the individual(s) going from one subway car to another.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:28 am »

Are people in a rush for the sake of being in a rush?

Possibly so. But it doesn't take much time spent here nor much observational skill to see that both on the roads and rails, lots of people are in a hurry in Seoul and other big cities, whether that be for just for the sake of it or for some other more valid reason.

If you're an elderly individual, likely retired, and it's the weekend, then there seems like there is no reason to be pushing people to get to the "ideal" subway car.

Well, without actually stopping them to inquire, in language they'd understand, what precisely is the reason for their movement from carriage to carriage down the train, then who knows. If I had to guess and I were interested in the reason, I'd say it could be because they're looking for one of the elderly/disabled seats that is completely vacant - and sometimes those seats are, even if the train is pretty full of people - or it could be because they're looking to see if someone they know who often rides that route happens to be somewhere on the train. But I don't have to guess and I'm not very interested so I won't.  ;)

Seriously though, I do know where you're coming from. I don't like people cutting in my lane when I'm driving any more than you like them pushing past you on the subway and I too am often thinking, "look, you're not going be any further ahead of me at the next set of traffic lights". But, for your own sanity, I really do recommend the approach of not letting it bother you too much and not wondering too long about the reason why  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:33:54 am by ironopolis »

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »
The next time you are on a crowded subway train, I suggest you try walking through it.  It can greatly improve your chances of getting a seat.  And in the summer, some subway cars are better air conditioned than other ones, so sometimes people are looking for a more comfortable place to stand.  I also like to watch people, so it can be very interesting, too. 

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »
  And in the summer, some subway cars are better air conditioned than other ones, so sometimes people are looking for a more comfortable place to stand. 

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. It's true, some subway lines have one or two cars of the train designated as having "weak" air-conditioning, presumably for people who think it's freezing in the rest of the train.

It is also very often true that your chances of getting a seat do increase as you approach the end of the train. On the line I used to ride regularly in Seoul, when I got on at my station cars 1 and 10 would always be the emptiest and the middle ones would be the fullest. But steps down to the platform tend to bring you to where the middle section of cars will stop, so it'll often happen that people coming just as the train arrives will have to get on in the middle.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:15:10 pm »
A usually walk through to get to the car that transfers the fastest. Or because the seat I was in was next to one of those guys who insists on spreading his legs. Or a fat person. Or a drunk person. Or I just want to get to a less crowded car...

Lots of reasons. If this is one of your issues in Korea, you're in for a rough time.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
I don't mind people walking from one subway car to another.

What I do mind is when I am shoved by the individual(s) going from one subway car to another.

:-) Oh Koreans...in their defence I'm pretty sure the "shovers" have no idea how they come across or what that "shoving" actually communicates to you. Koreans (in general) have to be the most self-unaware ethnic group I've ever encountered. The bright side of this is that you can have fun with it and get away with a lot of things under the pretence of "self-unawareness". Like: "I'm sorry, did I just step on your toe after you violently shoved past me? Oh, forgive me, please..."  :)
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

Are people in a rush for the sake of being in a rush? If you're an elderly individual, likely retired, and it's the weekend, then there seems like there is no reason to be pushing people to get to the "ideal" subway car.

If they are transferring, the minute or two they save by moving down the train could end up saving them 10 minutes, if they miss a transfer. The transfers are by luck of the draw here, and sometimes you might only miss them by a few seconds. However the next train could be 10 minutes away if you're transferring to one of the non-main lines like say the pink line 8 or even line 5 in one direction only has every other car going to 1 direction since it splits into two.