Read 4895 times

• wawawawonder
  • Adventurer

• November 30, 2010, 10:37:09 am
    • Sokcho, South Korea
These are the playing cards I made for the EPL season 2010/11. If you are not aware of Top Trumps, it's a game boys used to play in England when I was young.

Here are the rules:
1. Split the cards 50/50 (10 cards each in this set) Each player keeps his cards in his hand face up. They must use the top card in their pile. They may not choose which card to play with.
2. Player one selects a number from his card and asks player two what his number is in the same category. In order to do this, he should use the pre-taught questions.
3. -If P1's number is higher, he wins P2's card and puts both of the cards that have just been played to the bottom of his pile. P1 then gets to ask again.
-If P1's number is lower, P2 wins both cards and puts them at the bottom of his pile. It is then his turn to ask a question.
4. The winner is the first player to collect all 20 cards

(Here is an online version for the Incredibles so you can see what to do: http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Games/CartoonsMoviesTV/Incredibles2/Incredibles2.htm)

It probably took up about 20 minutes of my lesson including teacher demonstration. It was part of a football theme for the week. It worked well with my large classes of pretty low-level middle school second grade boys. They played two against two. I was going to have them play one on one but I got tired of laminating and cutting out so many cards.

Oh yeah, pre-teach these questions:

How many games did he play?
How many games did he win?
How many goals did he score?
How many cards did he get?
How much does he weigh?

• ElinKorea
  • Explorer

• March 03, 2011, 01:51:46 pm
    • Si Heung, Gyeonggi Province
Re: EPL English Premier League Soccer Football Top Trumps/ Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:18:22 am »
This is great, thank you so much for sharing! I have an afternoon class of 18 uninterested boys and this will save me!!!!

• katieskorea
  • Adventurer

• September 29, 2011, 09:55:53 pm
    • Yeongju city
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:27:36 am »
Hey was just trying to downlad the Top Trumps lesson but im having some serious issues. When I went to downlad it, the file said it was  a PHP file so it said to save it, which I did. Then I tried to open it and my computer told me its not compatible with anything. Now when I try to downlaod any other powerpoints it wont let me saying that all files are PHP.

Someone please help me, I have no idea what to do :-(

Thanks guys.

• daveb
  • Super Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 10:08:52 am
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
Nice work, but FYI Fabregas and Gyan are no longer in the league. Nit picking, but my boys eat and breathe the EPL! I'll try them out and let you know how it goes. Actually, I might make a few more - 30 boys to a class, I reckon more cards would be ideal! I've done a superhero top trumps game before - it will easily go for 45 mins!

• wawawawonder
  • Adventurer

• November 30, 2010, 10:37:09 am
    • Sokcho, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:01 am »
Sorry, Katie, don't know how to help you. I guess it's too late now anyway.

Thanks, Dave, I know about Fabregas and Gyan of course but, as I said, this is about the statistics for the 2010-2011 season. I would have made more cards but 20 was plenty for the twenty minutes I intended the activity to take, including set-up etc. I made ten sets of 20 cards and, believe me, that takes forever to cut out. If you are keen to make  more, then I admire your patience!

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »
Hey

I was going to make some top trumps for my kids a while a go...but i have a crazy amount of planning to do so cutting and laminating is just not an option....anyway this website helps you make ur own top trumps

http://bighugelabs.com/deck.php

• robbb3490
  • Adventurer

• February 01, 2012, 09:58:33 pm
    • Yangsan, SK
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »
Here is an updated version of Soccer Top Trumps cards which I made.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 07:53:09 am »
Here is an updated version of Soccer Top Trumps cards which I made.

Great work. Some of my boys would love this. Too bad I have to wait until March to see most of them again  :-[

Think I might chase them down for a quick game  :laugh: