Read 3952 times

Funny Laws (High School- Low)
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »
This is a great lesson pre/post exam week. 

Students learn about funny international laws from different countries that actually do exist.  The slides are in a specific order for my students' dispositions, personalities, and comprehension level.  They had to create their own laws - school laws/rules or new laws for Korea.  Also, they did a competition between two teams, in which students had to look at a vocabulary and find the sentence strip to which it belongs to.  The strip is hidden inside a box of other strips.  Each time they return back to their team, they had to hand "tag" the next team member.  Since I had a long, big classroom, students were able to run from one end to the other of the English speaking class.  First team to complete the strips won.

The original lesson idea came from the coordinator for native teachers from the provincial education office.  I changed the laws and added the picture slides to make it more interesting and appealing.  Play the track from The Clash "I Fought the Law" for the "video slides."  This was kind of the introduction/engagement.  The video slides are at the right speed so that students had enough time to read and absorb.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:09:47 pm by kindenglishteacher »

• Marc Beezy
  • Waygookin

• August 28, 2011, 02:58:49 pm
    • Jungni, Daejeon, South Korea
Re: Funny Laws (High School- Low)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:23 am »
Wow this had me cracking up! I'm going to try it with my Middle School After School Girls. They are all pretty high leveled. The pictures are really good though, so I think even the lowered level girls will understand. I hope they like it! I'll let you know how it goes.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »
Def. let me know what worked and didn't...and please do share any changes you've made.  With my lesson, I did a lot of demonstration and gestures in addition to what they saw on the slides so that they understood the law clearly.  Some slides were also great opportunities to introduce or clarify certain English words/phrases such as "backwards, forwards" and "pick your nose."

• Marc Beezy
  • Waygookin

• August 28, 2011, 02:58:49 pm
    • Jungni, Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:20:51 am »
Let me say your idea was amazing! Any changes I made wasn't because it wasn't good enough, contrare, my school is good enough to supply me with tools like a working printer or speakers... ANYWAY

I had to rely solely on PowerPoint. The pictures were great, and really got everyone's attention. I went through all the slides and then let them read them (nothing makes my day more than hearing 27 14-year-old Korean girls trying to pronounce "fart" at the same time lol...). With the game, I changed the slides so that your worksheet was the slide on the Powerpoint. I just put on a blank where your blanks were on the worksheet. I split the class into two teams and pulled up the slide, with the blank. Then one representative from each team raced to the other side of the room, and went through the cards (which I had to write out...). Then, when they found the card they had to say the law out loud filling in the blank with the missing word. They paid attention when I offered a prize at next class (in fact, the team that was not paying attention was down 3-0. After I offered an incentive they came back 3-3. I guess they were paying attention...). Overall, the fart slide was funny because they couldn't remember the word "fart" and went through like every word in the list. I actually was crying laughing at their attempts.

I guess the only big thing was that it was tough getting them to pay attention, also everyone was rally tired (it was after school). I'm going to have to develop some type of reward system so that they have something to look forward to. But it was a great lesson, and I think everyone enjoyed it!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't, and a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:34:49 am »
Cool idea. I took it and changed it a little. I added the words ' you must not' (just to beef up the lesson plan). I also shoved in a survey activity for similar reasons.

Included is an English basketball game, modified from one of the posts on here.

Gonna use it with first grade and hopefully it will work with second grade (with a few alterations no doubt)

Peace ^^

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »
Thanks all for sharing your adjustments.  I'm going to try this lesson again with what you guys did and I believe that's going to make this lesson even better!