Read 2673 times

Im sorry could you repeat that?
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
Hey does anyone have any ideas for an activity for "im sorry, could you repeat that?" I basically need an activity making the boys repeat this phrase, or phrases like it. thanks for the help:)

Im teaching middle school year 2 boys

• panda
  • Adventurer

• November 30, 2009, 04:52:46 pm
Re: Im sorry could you repeat that?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:42:26 pm »
Peer dictation. Put them in pairs, one person reads a passage out and the other person has to write it down. A more active version is running dictation where the reading is placed on a wall away from them and they have to run forwards and backwards to dictate the message. Takes longer but feels more like a game so they enjoy it more.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
thanks im gonna try the running activity. its sounds like a great idea and maybe it will tire them out:) thanks for the help

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:28 am »
Try creating a crossword puzzle, and filling in half the answers in each, like an information gap.  Or a quarter of the answers for groups of 4.  They all have different answers.  Then they must ask their partner or group member the answer to, for example 13 across, or make it more conversational by having them ask the actual clue instead of the answer's location.  The other student must answer really fast, distorted, quiet, etc., so that the other student must use the target phrases to ask for clarification.  You can also add in "How do you spell that" to the activity to practice even more classroom English.

I did this with 3rd grade elementary school students AND first grade middle school students.  It works really well.  All my clues were like this: "What is another word for big?".  Answer: "Giant".  This is good for also practicing circumlocution and improving vocab.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:58:13 pm »
In case anyone wants to know the crossword puzzle idea worked great. After we finished the crossword I divided my class into teams and made them whisper (think the Telephone game) an english tongue twister to the person behind them. The kids really seemed to enjoy this and it defintiley made them say the target phrase!!