Read 1586 times

• LAJenney
  • Veteran

• January 02, 2012, 08:19:51 am
    • Iowa
    more
Is this legal?
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:36:45 am »
I have a torn meniscus and saw a surgeon last week that said i need surgery to have it repaired. I could schedule over my 1 week summer break and then i would continue to be on crutches for 3 more weeks of school. I explained this to my school and even the surgeon phoned my director. My school says i cannot teach kindy while on crutches so if i got the surgery they would terminate my contract. Thus i would be homeless and jobless during recovery. Is this even legal?
Looking to make new friends in Korea! I will be residing near Seoul, but living in Bundang.

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
Re: Is this legal?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:03:43 am »
Are you at a hagwon or public school?  What does your contract say?

• LAJenney
  • Veteran

• January 02, 2012, 08:19:51 am
    • Iowa
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »
They said they would let me get the surgery if i paid someone to sit in class with me, however i still have to be there everyday and teach. I won't miss anything special. I could do it at the end of my contract, but then i would be homeless and have only 30 days allowed in the country and wouldnt my insurance end with my contract?
Looking to make new friends in Korea! I will be residing near Seoul, but living in Bundang.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »
I'm not so sure if it's illegal.  They could reasonably argue that it affects your job performance.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »
A couple of suggestions;

Have it done and take the time off work 'unpaid', using your salary to pay a temporary replacement. Maybe this is not doable, where your workplace is concerned. Talk it over with them to show you're wanting to find the best solution for all.
Have the surgery just before your contract ends, and get a flight home using crutches. I would've thought knee surgery wouldn't mean you're unable to fly immediately but your doctor could confirm that. If you couldn't fly then you could possibly stay with a friend or surf couches.

Can you still walk? Are you in much pain? When was the accident? Maybe you could see if time heals the injury. Surgery may not be entirely necessary. Have you had knee injuries before and, if so, how did they heal?

Finally make a record of all conversations with your employer, as I don't think they can justify ending your contract over an injury; alcoholism, drugs, crime, abusing students - yes; accidental injury - I doubt it.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:40 pm »
I have a torn meniscus and saw a surgeon last week that said i need surgery to have it repaired. I could schedule over my 1 week summer break and then i would continue to be on crutches for 3 more weeks of school. I explained this to my school and even the surgeon phoned my director. My school says i cannot teach kindy while on crutches so if i got the surgery they would terminate my contract. Thus i would be homeless and jobless during recovery. Is this even legal?

While I realize this is off topic and not particularly helpful to your situation....if you lose your job, you may come and stay with me. You won't be homeless while you recover.