Read 12413 times

• blq2sdy
  • Adventurer

• January 03, 2011, 10:54:19 am
    • North Carolina
Re: Has anyone with EPIK ever NOT been approved for contract renewal?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
I know 2 people who didn't get renewed last year.  One found a job at hagwan and the other went home.  I don't think it's very common though.

• H man
  • Adventurer

• December 15, 2010, 10:05:55 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:30:44 am »
Yeah it does happen - this year a close friend of mine was turned down at his school - now he's switching to a 학원.  He was late a few times and called in "sick" at the last minute a couple of times though.  Usually the rule of thumb for getting renewed is: show up for school everyday, get along with K teachers/go to dinners etc; be liked by students, have okay lesson plans (or fun ones for students) and just do as asked and you'll be renewed. 

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »
I know a few who have been let go and 1 that was outright fired.  Mostly, it's to due with if they like you.  Your teaching ability means very little and it's more about how well you work with other teachers. 
Don't go over peoples head in Korea is a big one. 
I was moved from my school last year but then got nominated for Elementary Teacher of the year on Jeju.  My old KT and I weren't friends since she is a racist crazy lady. 

It's -ev to deal with some people.

• Songwon
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2011, 03:16:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:30 pm »
I wasn't renewed with GEPIK last year because they were cutting people anyway and my contract happened to be at an odd time (starting/finishing in the middle of June) so my school just didn't know at the time if they'd be able to have a native speaker past August or not.  The fact that I was in one of the higher pay grades probably didn't help.  I started a new contract with SMOE that August.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:28 pm »
It does happen to good teachers that happen to get along with everyone. Some education offices just want to cut people who are at higher pay grades. It happened to me. I didn't love the school, but I loved the kids and my apartment, and went out of my way to socialize, even bringing in baked goods regularly for the entire staff, which were gobbled down in a matter of minutes. I'd receive thank you messages over coolmessenger all the time. It was an okay school, but nothing special. I just didn't want to leave my apartment, as it was a pretty nice one, compared to those I'd seen my friends get from their schools. In the end, I just stole the lease renewal option from the school and didn't have to move. It worked out better, as I found one of those rare gems known as the good hagwon. I moved the following year to a larger apartment, but I just wasn't prepared at that time to move.

Mind you, I've got a brick and mortar TESOL, majored in English, and was a writer and editor for a national magazine back home. When they got their cheap new teacher, I heard nothing but complaints about her from the teachers with whom I kept in contact. The kids would also constantly complain to their parents and teachers, because they knew that I was still in the area (they'd see me walking my dog all the time) so the school couldn't very well tell them that I'd gone home. Well, you get what you pay for.

If you network, you very well could find a good hagwon.

This is exactly why I don't really bother saying hi or socializing or being extra nice to my co-workers.  I know I'm at the bottom of the ladder, and no one really cares what I do or who I am.  Just a white face who speaks English.  But at least I know that, and don't end up putting forth all this effort to be treated the same way as the hungover dude who stumbles into class.   At least I won't end up resenting anyone.  BUT, this story definitely tells the story of why the English education system in Korea is underachieving:   Not giving good teachers their due, and just lumping all of us into the "Westerner who looks decent and speaks clearly" catagory

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:37 am »
<snip>

This is exactly why I don't really bother saying hi or socializing or being extra nice to my co-workers.  I know I'm at the bottom of the ladder, and no one really cares what I do or who I am.  Just a white face who speaks English.  But at least I know that, and don't end up putting forth all this effort to be treated the same way as the hungover dude who stumbles into class.   At least I won't end up resenting anyone.  BUT, this story definitely tells the story of why the English education system in Korea is underachieving:   Not giving good teachers their due, and just lumping all of us into the "Westerner who looks decent and speaks clearly" category.

This happens back in the US, too. The teaching profession is getting tougher and tougher. Older teachers being asked to resign or retire early or not have their contracts renewed because it's cheaper for schools/districts to hire recent grads than it is to keep on the experienced teachers.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »
I know one guy who was basically forced to quit over extremely dubious circumstances. They clearly didn't want him there.

I know another guy who was denied renewal after being the best thing since sliced bread at the same school 4 years running because he stood his ground in an affair in which he was 100% correct. The school - read Principal - lost face and he was told he wasn't being renewed. He has a better "everything" now in China and doesn't miss this nuthouse a bit.

I am only 4 months into my 2nd contract here and have been asked to renew for next year several times by various folks who are "up the ladder" from me. I like it here but I'm not kidding myself; they can love ya today and hate ya tomorrow. We are all easily replaceable and more than likely just as easily forgotten.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »
Not being renewed for a third contract. 98% personality conflict (read handler teacher's problem, not mine) 1% getting bronchitis one too many times in one contract. God, I love my kids, I wish they would wash or sanitize their hands more often...haha
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »
I know one guy who was basically forced to quit over extremely dubious circumstances. They clearly didn't want him there.

I know another guy who was denied renewal after being the best thing since sliced bread at the same school 4 years running because he stood his ground in an affair in which he was 100% correct. The school - read Principal - lost face and he was told he wasn't being renewed. He has a better "everything" now in China and doesn't miss this nuthouse a bit.

I am only 4 months into my 2nd contract here and have been asked to renew for next year several times by various folks who are "up the ladder" from me. I like it here but I'm not kidding myself; they can love ya today and hate ya tomorrow. We are all easily replaceable and more than likely just as easily forgotten.

I wouldn't sell yourself too short there, you 'know' pretty much what to do to keep your colleagues happy, keep the students happy and keep admin happy. It's up to you, in the end, when/if you decide to stop doing that and not be renewed (barring budget cuts). Maybe "they can love ya today and hate ya tomorrow" but is that really a logical way to look at a human response? Our Korean friends are human and subject to the same wants, needs and emotions as others of the human species (except N Korea - we don't have that particular monkey on our backs). They engage, have feelings such as friendship, empathy and compassion, want others to have a good life and understand their environment can only offer so much.

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:41 am »
Maybe "they can love ya today and hate ya tomorrow" but is that really a logical way to look at a human response?

Yes...   In the land of the morning calm, this happens a lot. They love you today and hate you tomorrow. Note that that love is also very, very conditional.
Out. Never been happier

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 08:24:17 am »

I wouldn't sell yourself too short there, you 'know' pretty much what to do to keep your colleagues happy, keep the students happy and keep admin happy. It's up to you, in the end, when/if you decide to stop doing that and not be renewed (barring budget cuts). Maybe "they can love ya today and hate ya tomorrow" but is that really a logical way to look at a human response? Our Korean friends are human and subject to the same wants, needs and emotions as others of the human species (except N Korea - we don't have that particular monkey on our backs). They engage, have feelings such as friendship, empathy and compassion, want others to have a good life and understand their environment can only offer so much.

Admin, faculty and staff change every year (and even at the semester).  Just because you have an awesome principal doesn't mean that your principal next year will be awesome.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 09:33:10 am »

I'm this guy.

What Cereal says is true except for a small (but important) detail -
I found out I was not going to be renewed (by my new principal) when I stood my ground... not because I stood my ground. The decision not to renew me was made well before the issue on which I 'stood my ground' even came up. I would not have found out I was not being renewed until 'renewal time'... or later. They weren't going to tell me.

OP,

The answer to your question is "Yes"... I'm proof!  ;D  EPIK NETs exist only at the whims of their K 'superiors'  ;)  ... who are guaranteed to change.

Sincerely,
CM (currently in China enjoying my 2.5 months of paid holidays during my university's summer vacation... and off to Thailand for a month starting Tuesday  :D)

P.S. To K-land -  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:52:50 am by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:16 am »
Not being renewed for a third contract. 98% personality conflict (read handler teacher's problem, not mine) 1% getting bronchitis one too many times in one contract. God, I love my kids, I wish they would wash or sanitize their hands more often...haha

If you were renewed once, you have nothing to worry about. If they'd hated you, you wouldn't have had your contract renewed. Network, and you'll likely find something better. A friend of mine knows of a good hagwon in Incheon that's looking for someone to start in August.

tsudopnem,

Thank you. I know I could work in a hagwon but I just don't think I would be happy doing it. Public has spoiled me with all the vacation, random days off, random early releases, and having friends on basically the same vacation schedule and work schedule. I think if I don't find a uni or public school position soon, I'm going back to my country and consider it fate.  8)
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Bump
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2011, 12:07:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 07:45:20 am »
It has a lot to do with a school's general attitude toward having a foreign english teacher in general.  If a school really wants a foreign english teacher and thinks the program is really important, an NET can get away with murder.  I've known NETs who have the worst classroom skills, teachers who are hated by coworkers and other teachers, and teachers who have not shown up to school for days with no notice who have kept their jobs and been renewed year after year.  I have also known very good NETs who are great with kids and very kind to anyone and accept the culture who have been kicked out because the principal really doesn't like foreigners (in one case the principal even installed a CCTV outside a girl's apartment to make sure she wasn't prostituting or doing drugs - she's a total saint).  It all depends on your school's attitude and standards.  I've also known two NETs who didn't get renewed because they have used inappropriate or abusive language in the classroom which I think is a perfectly good reason not to renew a teacher based on the right criteria.  One teacher used swear words with the students on many occasions and another told his students to eat garbage because they were trash.

Just curious, how long have you been in Korea?

• hunterst
  • Veteran

• December 03, 2010, 10:10:25 am
    • Ansan City
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:29 am »
I wasn't renewed by my school, but it was because I was hired in December 2010, and Gepik wouldn't give them any money for a native teacher until the normal intake.  I wasn't going to stay in Korea at the time anyways.  I'm coming back in July, but at a hagwon instead.

• isak
  • Explorer

• November 23, 2009, 09:21:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
Yeah, it happens.  Usually for sorta BS reasons.  Having a good relationship with your co-teachers is more important than competence.

I knew a guy who got probation for a year, but was still rehired.  It's pretty difficult to just get let go, and not see it coming.