Read 21983 times

• hawkiko
  • Explorer

• September 19, 2010, 03:53:58 am
    • Colorado
Sup, looking into teaching in Korea (Korvia/EPIK curiosity)
« on: September 19, 2010, 03:57:45 am »
Hello, my name's Rachel and I'm a recent college graduate. I'm interested in teaching English in South Korea. I've been filling out some beginning paperwork for Korvia and EPIK is looking for people so I'm going that route. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through Korvia? I've got questions about the process and all that. Really anyone willing to answer some occasional questions about stuff would be awesome :D

• dharmabrother
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2010, 11:22:32 am
    • Pohang, South Korea
Re: Sup, looking into teaching in Korea (Korvia/EPIK curiosity)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »
Hey Rachel, my friend and I from Montana just went through Korvia and worked with Joyce Kim there (she is very helpful).  We are both working with EPIK now in Pohang..let me know what you want to know :)

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:00 am »
I would recommend anyone BUT Korvia. Joyce is nice and tries her best, but her boss, Craig is one of the worst human beings that I have ever encountered. He was so rude and unprofessional to me and my family that I actually filed a complaint with the BBB in his state.

Seriously, there are literally hundreds of recruiters out there. Pick one of the dozens that nobody has complained about. Send me a private message if you want details but I try not to waste time with negative energy so am going to leave it at that in the forum.

Best of luck. EPIK is a good place to get your start in Korea, I am with EPIK currently and have a very good school (though I ended up dealing directly with the Education Office due to Korvia's incompetence).

Oh, and feel free to contact me with any questions about the process/Korea. Lived here off and on for 10 years. We are experts now :-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:18:50 am by be the ball »

• amandaj11
  • Explorer

• August 30, 2010, 09:25:36 am
    • Daejeon, Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:34:09 am »
I applied directly through EPIK's website. I'm not really sure the process with recruiters but applying directly was good because I didn't have to worry about any problems with recruiters. They have two options, submitting on the website or by email. I'm really happy with my experience with EPIK and the coordinators I dealt with were incredibly helpful during the application process. Send me a message if you have any specific questions!

• gerosca
  • Newgookin

• June 08, 2010, 01:19:36 pm
    • daegu, korea
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:37:49 am »
Hello,
I went through Korvia via EPIK and now I work at an elementary school in Daegu. I had no problems with Korvia. My recuiter was Henry and he really went the extra mile for me to secure my job.......The EPIK Program is a great lauching point if you want to make ESL a career shoice.....

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:38:43 am »
i went through korean horizons, not through epik (but on a contract identical to epik's).  i still attended an epik orientation and was a co-instructor at an epik seminar.

anyway, alistair at korean horizons has been very kind and helpful.

http://www.koreanhorizons.com/

• helloana
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2010, 03:25:00 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:51:47 am »
www.footprintsrecru iting.com
Jen and Dave are amazing. They hire for EPIK.

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:00 am »
I also applied just through EPIK and have had no problems.  The communication gets fumbled sometimes, but everything has worked out for the best.  I applied through email, went through a phone interview, got accepted, sent in all of my actual paperwork, and got placed.

One of the most important things to remember, though, is to get your paperwork in early!  Just because you pass your interview and they offer you a position does NOT guarantee you a spot!  I passed my interview, but I had some problems with obtaining some of my USA paperwork so I submitted my materials late.  As such, I only got placed about a week and a half before orientation.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

• cocoinkorea
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• June 24, 2010, 08:59:40 am
    • New York, NY
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:58 am »
I myself went through Korvia, who placed me with EPIK. The whole process was fairly simple but a lot fo paperwork. There are a lot of new regulations for the upcoming school year so make sure to adhere to the latest policies. One thing ~ I was very frustrated and worried by not getting my contract until the last minute but everything is legit, Korea just runs on their own time, so don't worry if you don't get your contract until the last minute. Good luck with your application process!

Chanel
http://cocoinkorea.com
No Longer in Korea but still active!

Traveling: www.culturalxplorer .com
Teaching Materials: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Fabulousfourthnyc

• sbbaas
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2010, 06:02:18 pm
    • SK
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
I also went directly through EPIK. At our orientation they thanked everyone that applied directly and said it is their preference that applicants go directly through them. They even gave us little gifts to show gratitude.  They were extremely helpful and always available.

I do not have experience with recruiters. The only thing I heard that I liked was they usually have information about the numbers of vacancies in various locations. This can be helpful if you have a preference for where you would like to be placed.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »
Some others that you could try are www.teacheslkorea.c om or www.parkenglish.com. Both of them are well versed in contract and paperwork needs. Park English seems to focus more on the private sector.  I worked with them my first year.  The other seems to focus more on EPIK, SMOE, and GEPIK.  Many of my friends and I have all worked with this one for the past two years.  The contact there is Jane Kim.  They are both pretty easy to work with. Good luck~
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• amycock
  • Veteran

• May 20, 2010, 10:53:42 am
    • Pohang S.Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »
Hi,

I went through ESL Starter to get my job through EPIK. They were good and helpful, Claire is really nice any question or email i sent she answered and helped with.

http://eslstarter.com/

Amy  :)

• misty
  • Adventurer

• September 12, 2010, 10:03:06 pm
    • Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:14 pm »
I went through KorVia and Joyce was my recruiter.  She was pretty good for the most part, definitly better with email than on the phone.  She got me a really good school but as people mentioned everything was kinda last minute, but in my experience that is how things work in Korea.  KorVia did a couple things that I thought were pretty cool. 1. They provided a cell phone when I first got here.  Its a used phone and its not the greatest but its better than nothing, and you can't get a real phone until you get your Alien Resident Card and bank account etc. 2. They had a welcome party for all the newbies.  It was a great way to meet other foreigners in my area. 

Overall, I would recommend them.  Like everything else you'll find people who have had good experiences and bad ones, this company seems to be pretty good when compared to most.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »
Overall, I would recommend them.  Like everything else you'll find people who have had good experiences and bad ones, this company seems to be pretty good when compared to most.

Upon what do you base your comment that this company seems better than most?

There is only one negative comment about a recruiter on this thread and it is about them. Every other recruiter on here has only positive comments.

I'm an English teacher, not a Math teacher, but I am pretty sure that makes them one of the worst, NOT one of the best...

Again, there are tons of recruiters out there with nothing but positive reviews. Why even take the _slightest_ chance that my horrible experience with Korvia could be repeated upon you. (you being the original poster).

Best of luck with your application process. BTW if I was applying again, I'd go through EPIK directly, like others have said.

• hawkiko
  • Explorer

• September 19, 2010, 03:53:58 am
    • Colorado
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 06:07:05 am »
Thanks so much everyone for your input. I will be getting in contact with a few of you I think in the next day or two.

Again, thank you!

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 12:08:48 pm »
Going through Korean Horizons, I was able to request to work in a specific area in a specific city at the beginning of the application process.  I did a few searches on Google Maps and was able to see exactly where each of the offered schools was located in relation to the center of the city/parks/etc.

When I finally arrived to begin my contract, I found myself living in an excellent location, in a good city, working at a great school (splitting my time between two schools, actually [bonus money!]).  This is a pretty stark contrast to people who come through EPIK to teach in public schools, as they finally figure out a few days after arrival where they're actually headed to live for a year.

On the other hand, EPIK provides a good orientation for all participants, so you are able to network well from the beginning of your time here.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »
Go directly via EPIK. Check the website. As of mid 2010, they now have in-house recruiters that are no slower than any 3rd party recruiter.

Using a recruiter risks delays or no job, and you usually get NOTHING in return. Only exception I heard is one recruiter that set their new staff up with basic pre-paid mobile phones as thanks (for the referral bonus EPIK gives them essentially). That was nice, although unless a lot of people go with that recruiter, or you have pre-existing Korean friends, you may find you have nobody to call anyway.

Quite frankly, watching the recruiter staff running around Incheon airport early in the morning trying to find "their people" before the EPIK staff did to justify their role in the operation was both a pitiful and a hilarious sight. Thanks for the slapstick guys!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:07:44 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• GreenFloyd
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 06:56:23 pm
    • Hyeonpung, Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »
It doesn't matter that much which recruiter you go with. Generally they are all good and do the same thing. I've heard really good things about Korvia, so I'd say go with it. If you go to the Epik site and click on application procedures, you will see the list of 20 recruiters that Epik use. Any of those would be fine. Personally, I applied directly and it worked out fine for me. Recruiters get busy if you wait closer to the deadline to apply so I thought it would be quicker and less hassle to apply directly. There are a few EPIK coordinators who are extremely helpful if you apply directly, particularly David Pennel, who will answer your e-mails timely and thoroughly. It's not too complicated to apply directly either, frankly I don't know why so many people go through recruiters.

Good luck! Come to Daegu!

• thedsr
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
    • Gimpo
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 09:23:36 am »
I used Korvia recruiters.  I think they worked fine.  It was kind of nice to make sure you have all the proper documents and someone to translate what EPIK wanted.  I heard a few people who had missing documents or kept messing something up, but having the recruiter made it very clear what was needed.  I got my first placement.  The key is just getting all your documents started right now.  FBI check especially number one as mine took 3 months to get.  Just start ordering your transcripts, getting reference letters copy of degree notarized/apostillized.  Make sure your passport is valid for travel the whole time you will be gone.

• sambelina78
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:16:20 pm
    • Haenam-eup, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 10:54:42 am »
my partner and i were going to go through EPIK directly but ended up going through Canadian connection (http://www.canconx.com/), which is a recruiter based in toronto. we are from England, and had a telephone interview and everything went smoothly. we changed from applying directly as with EPIK they wouldn't allow non married couples to live together, although they would try their best to place you in the same town and apartments near to each other. we decided to apply to CC as they work with two education boards that like couple placements, and don't have a problem with the unmarried thing. EPIK looks fine though, and were very helpful with out initial enquiries. I liked Can Conx as i knew that nothing was getting lost in translation in our correspondence with the company. they put on a great Orientation week, but EPIK also does the same.

hope that helps.
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805