Read 7423 times

• Mads
  • Adventurer

• December 01, 2010, 08:46:03 am
    • South Korea
Customs clearance - international parcels
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:07 am »
Does anybody know what the standard time frame is for international parcels being cleared by Korean Customs?

I ordered a bikini from the UK 3 weeks ago, express delivery, and when I use the delivery company's tracking system, it states that it's been undergoing Customs clearance for 3 weeks now (16 business days).
It's valued at under 100 000won, and I've ordered from the same company before (standard delivery though) without any hassles or hold ups. I've also had numerous parcels sent to me by my mother, which included meds, snacks, books, cosmetics and what not, which arrived within 5 business days, again without any issues. Also books from the US, which I received within 10 days, again no Customs issues. I've been told (by a friend that imports goods on a monthly basis) that I should get a call or letter if I have to pay any duties on it, and that it usually takes 2 weeks max to get cleared, but getting rather worried by now, feels like it's taking bloody forever, and can't imagine what the hold up could be  ::) - has anybody had a similar experience?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:42:49 am by Mads »
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind ~ Rudyard Kipling

• Sophie
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 03:08:58 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: Customs clearance - international parcels
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
Hi,

Yes i am currently having the same problem. I am from the UK and My mom sent me a package on 1st sept and im still waiting.. i dont know if it is in customs, but i am presuming that is where it is. Usually post from the UK takes 8days to get to my school and my mom has sent me several things before including food, snacks, cosmetics, chocolate.

This package has Jam, Tampons, Face Cream & clothes in it... are any of those items prohibited? does anyone know any reason why it should be held up?

A few weeks ago, i thought it was delayed because of Chuseok ~ busy mailing time in korea? But now my only hope is that it is in Customs...

Does anyone know a number i can call and ask about this?

Thank you

Sophie 

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »
Does anybody know what the standard time frame is for international parcels being cleared by Korean Customs?

I ordered a bikini from the UK 3 weeks ago, express delivery, and when I use the delivery company's tracking system, it states that it's been undergoing Customs clearance for 3 weeks now (16 business days).
It's valued at under 100 000won, and I've ordered from the same company before (standard delivery though) without any hassles or hold ups. I've also had numerous parcels sent to me by my mother, which included meds, snacks, books, cosmetics and what not, which arrived within 5 business days, again without any issues. Also books from the US, which I received within 10 days, again no Customs issues. I've been told (by a friend that imports goods on a monthly basis) that I should get a call or letter if I have to pay any duties on it, and that it usually takes 2 weeks max to get cleared, but getting rather worried by now, feels like it's taking bloody forever, and can't imagine what the hold up could be  ::) - has anybody had a similar experience?

I have no specific advice for your situation in terms of how long it'll take, except to make sure that customs hasn't sent you a letter or something that you need to respond to, because they could be waiting for a response from you.  When my stuff got stopped, I sure got a letter.  Well, actually I got a note to pick up the letter from my local post office.  However, I wouldn't be sure that you don't need to pay:  they add the stated shipping cost to the cost of the item when determining if it's under the limit for a tax free import.   If your express shipping was expensive, that could be why this package got stopped when your previous ones not shipped express did not.

• Sophie
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 03:08:58 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »
Thanks guys! Turns our my package is not in customs, it was sent by SEA! by mistake :( so a long wait is ahead for me :(!!