Read 1762 times

• rachel23
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2010, 09:17:07 am
    • Gumi City
Final Payment
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:47 am »
Hi friends,

I am flying out on August 31st the last day of my contract. My prinicpal and vp said it was fine to just come in in the morning say goodbye and then head up to the airport (like 4 hours away). I was always told I would get all of my money (August pay, severance bonus, flight) on August 25th my final pay day. I was then told today by admin office that they would not pay me until the afternoon of the 31st. They have all of my money now from the office of education but she is holding it before putting it in my account. It took my co -teacher like 4 phone calls and convincing them that I cannot tranfer my money home if they wait that late to pay me. The cheif is now "doing me a favor" and will pay me the afternoon of the 30th and hopefully I will have enough time to run to the bank and transfer it all. Is this normal? Why did people tell me I would get all of my money August 25th on my final pay day?

I am so done with Korean communication.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
Re: Final Payment
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
They're only obliged to pay August's salary on the 25th.  The flight money can be paid on the day you leave and the severance bonus only has to be paid by the end of the following month.

They kind of are doing you a favour and, yes, that is quite common.  I have several friends who were told the same thing. 

• barbbui
  • Veteran

• November 02, 2010, 02:15:54 pm
    • korea
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:29:16 am »
It depends on the school. Some people I know are getting the airfare after they leave Korea. Their school checks with immigration to see if they actually left the country.  My school told me that my bonus and airfare will be paid on Sept 1st.  But... I believe it when I see the money on my account.

• rockiavelli
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 09:24:35 am
    • Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnamdo, ROK
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:21:25 am »
I thought that for public schools the airfare payment wasn't even an airfare payment anymore, just an 'exit allowance'.  As in, even if you don't leave they still have to give it to you.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:00:23 am »
I thought that for public schools the airfare payment wasn't even an airfare payment anymore, just an 'exit allowance'.  As in, even if you don't leave they still have to give it to you.

It's an exit allowance for exiting the country. Ergo, an airfare for a one way ticket home. 

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:34 am »
Just to be clear, if I don't leave Korea after my contract expires in October due to landing another job in the country, I won't receive any airfare money? If they only pay after checking with immigration to see if I left the country then it would seem it's not even possible to get the ticket and cash it in.

• rockiavelli
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 09:24:35 am
    • Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnamdo, ROK
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »

It's an exit allowance for exiting the country. Ergo, an airfare for a one way ticket home.

By that logic it could be an exit from the school allowance.

My understanding is that you get that money as long as you don't re-sign with the same school.  If you re-sign with the same school you get the resign bonus instead.