Read 3584 times

• Nita
  • Waygookin

• March 14, 2011, 08:34:28 pm
    • South Korea
Taekwondo-to keep fit
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:08:23 pm »
Hi ....I just thought I'd share my experience with you....When I arrived in Korea in Sept. 2009 ...I joined a Taekwondo academy...my TKD master couldn't speak a word of English...but made an effort  to learn ...so the 1st few mths we consulted the dictionary and used body language...as hilarious as it sounds it actually worked out for us...I also found that TKD  was very good for me physically and mentally and in some way it helped me understand a bit more about the Koreans and their culture...and my Middle school boys were very happy to be my co-teachers.....I also lost a few kg's and kept my weight constant....and I got my First Black belt last year July(2010)....however an injury during practice has compelled me to stop TKD...and I've picked up quite a few kg's.I am a 44year old female(with a mild heart condition) ....so anyone can do it!

Re: Taekwondo-to keep fit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:31:46 am »
Where did you go to take Taekwondo? I'm in the Gwansang-do area, near the airport, and I'd like to take classes. How much are they? Is it hard to sign up?

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:48:59 am »
Any martial art is good for exercise and stress.  IMO hapkido is more fun and kumdo is awesome for stress.

• kcsteffes
  • Explorer

• August 27, 2011, 02:58:50 pm
    • Gangwon-do, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
What is the difference between Taekwondo and Hapkido? Are they just two different styles of martial arts?

Thanks!

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »
Are Taekwondo schools usually flexible with schedules?  I'm currently taking yoga, and I really like the schedule.  I can go 3 times a week on any days I want.  Also, I can choose to go at different times (7pm, 8pm, 9pm).

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:24:33 am »
Do you need your co-teacher to go with you to help sign up since they probably won't speak english? Also, how much does it cost?

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:33:55 am »
What is the difference between Taekwondo and Hapkido? Are they just two different styles of martial arts?

Thanks!

Hapkido is a much more rounded style, incorporating hand and foot striking and grappling (holds / locks etc.) 

Taekwondo is mostly striking based and most of that is kicks that are ridiculously innefecient outside of a tkd tournament.  HKD is a lot more brutal and to the point with it's striking as it grew out of Japanese aki jujitsu, a form that had to be brutal and direct as it was designed in part for samurai whom had become disarmed in battle to fight against other samurai, so basically a way to bring down a guy in heavy armour and coming at you with a sword and or spear lol...   

Although some schools do employ the elaborate kicks that we see in tkd.

Both are very good for getting in shape though if that's your main concern, though through the reuslts I've seen from people I know who do muay thai or mma training - that gets you much fitter.  Though the tkd and hkd do keep you trim and the qi gong/yoga type warm ups you do are good for emotional balance and inner health whereas mma type training just gets you shredded.

I did my knees in so can't do any ma now, weak menisci... :(  Shame as would LOVE to do muay thai training, really would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
Hey,
I would love to get into Taekwondo classes. I am not sure where I will be living yet but I will make sure to keep checking this post. Keep me updated as to where I could join. Thanks

• ephemere
  • Explorer

• August 28, 2011, 01:20:39 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »
I would also like to know about Hapkido in the Busan area. That seems like a great way to get fit and learn a martial art

• wolftashie
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 08:28:27 am
    • Gaya-myeon, SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »
When I asked my coteachers about TKD, they said there weren't any. However, when speaking to a Korean mom who really wanted me to tutor her daughter, she set me up at the local HKD gym and I'm really glad I'm taking HKD rather than TKD.  There's a lot more to it and plus you learn a lot of judo moves.  Anyway, I get to go for free because I'm "teaching them English".  All the students are my students at school, the teacher barely speaks any english, so its a great way to learn korean!  Really recommend trying it out!
TEECHA! SONG TEECHA!

• Llynne
  • Adventurer

• September 03, 2011, 02:06:23 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »
Theres a great school near Itaewon in Seoul, called 'The Way Martial Arts' you can google their website for more info
They do ITF Taekwondo and Hapkido classes as well as MMA classes.
Its a really friendly atmosphere and the classes are in both English and Korean :D

• rke
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2011, 10:24:07 am
    • Chungbuk
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:11:53 am »
Does anyone know of a place for hapkido or taekwondo in/around Cheongju? They don't have to speak English, but I would like to find a class with other adult beginners. There are several places in my immediate area but they all seem to cater to younger children. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:30:03 am »
Hey!

Does anyone know about adult tkd classes around Gyeongsan in Gyeongsanbuk-do? I did a bit of tkd back in university and would like to continue in Korea. Also, would tkd classes be more expensive than getting a gym membership? I just want to keep in shape while I'm in Korea, and i'd prefer to go for the cheaper option =P

thanks!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 12:03:48 pm »
i've been doing taekwondo for the same length of time as the OP, and i've had very similar results!! i'm younger though, so it's more of an excuse for me to simply jump from one computer at school, to another at home.

it is GREAT fun though. i feel like i'm apart of a community outside of school, even if it is with kids...

definitely recommend it to anybody, whether you're new or old to korea!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »
Anyone know any good TKD or Hapkido classes in the Incheon area? Looking more for Hapkido but I'll do TKD in a pinch.

• HeyLisn
  • Explorer

• August 30, 2011, 03:39:46 pm
    • Jincheon, CHungbuk
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »
Anyone have a sense of cost for TKD/HKD lessons?  Very interested, but concerned about cost.

• Ghost
  • Explorer

• September 04, 2011, 06:29:14 pm
    • Hamyang
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:31:05 pm »
That sounds fun, I'm interested in this as well. I've never tried martial arts and was worried about being too old but apparently that's not an issue. Maybe I can even ask my students if they know anything. I'd love to beat the hell out of them spend more time with them outside of school.

I shouldn't say anything, I haven't even met them yet.  :laugh:

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
Anyone have a sense of cost for TKD/HKD lessons?  Very interested, but concerned about cost.

I paid 80k a month out in the sticks.

1st month was 120k bacause price of dobok included.