Read 8771 times

Re: Anyone despise some of their classes?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:09 pm »
Two of my grade 3 classes appear impervious to games, contests involving Kpop songs, easy interactive activities....anyth ing.  @Natale_laplante I'm surfing for ideas, how will you implement the more challenging work?

I hear that grade 3 can be especially hard. I don't teach grade 3, so I'm not entirely sure what I'd do. Hmmm...What were you thinking of doing?

• anusface
  • Explorer

• March 31, 2011, 01:08:17 am
    • Iksan, South Korea
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:09 am »
Absolutely yes. I work in a hagwon and have a few classes that I hate. I realise hagwons are more popularity based, but in my school the korean teachers are actually really strict. So the kids take my classes as a chance to take the piss, slightly, I don't mind most of the chatting to each other quietly, but my school genuinely expects my classes to have NO korean (I imagine myself sitting in a Korean language class for 60mins with somebody speaking ONLY korean at me, i have sympathy tbf)....id lose interest very quickly as id have no idea whats going on

• Cranberryopah
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2010, 08:52:19 pm
    • Incheon City, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »
Two of my grade 3 classes appear impervious to games, contests involving Kpop songs, easy interactive activities....anyth ing.  @Natale_laplante I'm surfing for ideas, how will you implement the more challenging work?

I hear that grade 3 can be especially hard. I don't teach grade 3, so I'm not entirely sure what I'd do. Hmmm...What were you thinking of doing?

I've fiiiiiiiiinally planned a new approach for my grade 3s--I'm going to fly right off the page.  After one year of pounding my head against the wall, I will no longer teach from the text book. Instead I'll look for captivating themes to adapt to the grade 3 middle school crowd.  I swiped an extreme sports lesson, spotlighted the vocab, and tossed in couple of extra videos. They somewhat liked it.

Things are going to change.  I cannot do another brain damaging year like the last one.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
I deal with this also with 3 of my middle school classes. The co-teacher has made it worse because his policy is to bribe the kids with candy and so of course they expect that of me. They're rude, mean, and don't care to learn anything.  I started to feel like a complete failure because I can't get these children to sit down and listen. I even asked about the former NETs because I wanted to know more about these amazing teachers with super powers who can get even the most uninterested kid to learn. But then I learned the problem didn't start with ME.  Now I just try to make the classes as interesting as possible so that I know that I tried my best. But at the same time I subtly watch the clock and countdown...

• Cranberryopah
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2010, 08:52:19 pm
    • Incheon City, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 11:44:35 pm »
My not from the book lessons seem to slightly interest the Ss, certainly more  than the book lessons. One of my CTs is also the HT (and next in line for a VP post). She set a new rule, after giving 3 or 4 warnings, she writes names on the board. Each name adds 5 minutes to the class's deskwarming time after school. But the Ss don't consider the impact of their rowdiness until they're actually in detention. So I'm still mostly dreading the Gr. 3s.