Read 8768 times

Re: Anyone despise some of their classes?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13:12 pm »
Yes, it's inevitable to feel that way about some of them.  I just try to remember that they are not all that way and move on.  It also makes for a great challenge as a teacher to see if you can get the most of the class or to make even subtle improvements.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:29:14 pm »
I had some classes that really made me angry before. the trick is to lose your cool and let them know how upset you are by throwing a tantrum

That might work in the short-term but it'll probably make things more difficult in the long run.  Getting visibly angry here is not looked upon favourably.  Plus, losing your cool in a classroom anywhere is never a good idea - it simply shows the kids that they've won because you've lost control of yourself; you're showing that they're successfully getting to you.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
I'm fortunate, I have no such classes. I have one student who is ADHD I am certain. He can be a pain many days, but he does try at times too.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »
I am a new teacher to Korea but have taught at home in Canada and yes it is very normal to have trouble with some classes.  Although I wouldn't recommend thinking of the negatives and using the word despise as it will only get you down.  After class -try and think of a couple of positive things that happened and a way you could resolve a negative.  I highly recommend thinking of each day as brand new and this may help!

All the best.

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »
^^

I like that advice.

Simple, direct but effective.

Some of us tend to overlook the obvious things like that.

But it's true, I just thought of one grade 3 girl whose cl;ass i had today and has been doing a really great job recently, past few months, really trying hard and co-operating and trying to impress me... really improved both her enthusiasm and ability and yeah it made me feel good about today...

• kadams3
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 03:30:14 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 07:59:01 am »
I've had some classes/students where nothing was working. A high school class of mid-level girls simply refused to do anything but look at their mirrors and chat to each other in korean. No amount of creative activities, coaxing, yelling, threatening, or pleading would work. Finally I just gave up and taught the one table that was actually listening to me. Didn't really save the class in the end, but at least those five girls actually learned something.

• SRon
  • Adventurer

• August 31, 2011, 07:57:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 08:40:19 am »
Unfortunately I was one of those bratty kids in my class, and from experience there is pretty much nothing that any teacher could do to stop us.

I would advise just teaching those who want to learn and tolerate the presence of the ones who really do not want to be there.

Good Luck

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24:07 pm »
So I've tried to make myself believe that everything is ok when teaching some of my terrible classes, but I'm at the point now where I can't sugarcoat anything anymore...I pretty much despise having to teach certain classes.  It's the kind of thing whereby it's almost impossible not to frown when walking into the classroom as you know it's just gonna be a lot of really terribly behaved kids making your life miserable for an hour.  Any of you guys ever feel this way?

Yeah... I can't stand teaching the 6th graders... Thank god I only have to teach them once a week! Praise the lord! :D

• zenbone
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:39:02 am
    • Clearwater, FL
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:20 am »
my bad class is making me consider leaving Korea, just posted in the "breaking contract thread". They are horrible and i have no support to try to reel them in. It is a constant reminder every Monday that i am wasting my time here and that a year of my life has been flushed down the toilet. Good old 3rd grade middle, the constant reminder that logic and consideration toward fellow man is lost.

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »
my bad class is making me consider leaving Korea, just posted in the "breaking contract thread". They are horrible and i have no support to try to reel them in. It is a constant reminder every Monday that i am wasting my time here and that a year of my life has been flushed down the toilet. Good old 3rd grade middle, the constant reminder that logic and consideration toward fellow man is lost.

One option is to just stop caring with that class.  Be there in person but not in mind.  Go in, give work, then ignore and let them do as they want.  Try as I might I find it hard to do this though... God darned stupid principals instilled in me from back home that aren't that useful outside of back home...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:00:03 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »
I've got this afterschool class that is endlessly frustrating... it could be partly my own fault because maybe I just had a really high opinion of them and overestimated their abilities-- or maybe things just dragged on for too long, I'm not sure. They're sort of 'good' kids, but the amount of effort they've been putting in versus what I thought they were capable of is really disappointing... especially when I've been spending hours and hours getting everything ready and trying to make it easy for them to understand.

I should have just stuck to minimal effort and minimal planning... or just got a book and gone through it with them. 

• acopel7
  • Veteran

• March 15, 2011, 09:22:05 pm
    • korea
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »
Everyone has that one class (or three) they don't like. My worst classes are either too sleepy/tired to do anything, or too damn loud and are usually on another planet. It's okay, because at the end of the day or in this case semester, lack of participation is a factor in their final grade for my class. That includes speaking in class and being prepared. But these classes never make me think of quitting or losing my temper, although I did almost completely lost my cool last semester.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »
If you have a coteacher, maybe you could try splitting up the class in half to try and separate some of the more distracting students.  Or, have the problems students do something incredibly boring one day, like write lines while the other students do a productive game.  However, with the latter approach it would be important to always leave the door open for students who want to give paying attention a try.

Also, if you add a minute onto class for every minute they are distracting (keep track on the board so they are aware), they will probably stay pretty quiet after the bell rings and they are waiting to run out into the hall with their friends.  Just make them sit while you stand in silence and watch them.  They won't want to be in that room after class again.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 10:00:33 am »
My second period Tuesday class makes me want to run from the school building screaming sometimes. But I want to try a new tactic this semester by giving two of my loudest students more challenging work to do. (They're also my best speakers, so I think the textbook is boring for them and they start acting up.)

• Cranberryopah
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2010, 08:52:19 pm
    • Incheon City, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »
Two of my grade 3 classes appear impervious to games, contests involving Kpop songs, easy interactive activities....anyth ing.  @Natale_laplante I'm surfing for ideas, how will you implement the more challenging work?

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »
Some of them see us as no more than hired underlings, indentured servants, a sort of mix between a victorian charlady and daycare.

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:55 pm »
Yeah, I have a remedial class of high school boys who can be pretty difficult. Instead of teaching them, though, I just play with them. They seem to like to talk to me and challenge me (to arm wrestling contests, dancing, etc.) and will use English to do so. It's just the structure of class that turns them off. But I'm fortunate enough that my co-teacher understands and encourages me to play with them instead of trying to ram a curriculum down their throats.

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:17 pm »
Yeah, I have a remedial class of high school boys who can be pretty difficult. Instead of teaching them, though, I just play with them. They seem to like to talk to me and challenge me (to arm wrestling contests, dancing, etc.) and will use English to do so. It's just the structure of class that turns them off. But I'm fortunate enough that my co-teacher understands and encourages me to play with them instead of trying to ram a curriculum down their throats.

When ironicaly, it is exactly a curriculum rammed down their throats that they are in need of.

I once replaced a 'game' only teacher who thought she was the beez neez to teaching as she thought she was 'comunicating with them in a real world manner.'

Yeah but when you aksed them 'how old are you' they'd answer 'I'm fine.' and after her 18 months there had no more speaking ability past the weather and 'play game...'

Not having a go at you, but for centuries a normal, no fun learning style produced some of the greatest minds ever known whereas in todays world of making learning fun and exciting etc,  western kids can't even write proper sentences.

Learning is learning, the playground is for fun.  That's why they are two distinct things.

• Redwood
  • Waygookin

• October 31, 2011, 04:24:06 pm
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »
Totally agree with the last comment. Now.... off to find a fun lesson to keep my school happy.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »

When ironicaly, it is exactly a curriculum rammed down their throats that they are in need of.

I once replaced a 'game' only teacher who thought she was the beez neez to teaching as she thought she was 'comunicating with them in a real world manner.'

Yeah but when you aksed them 'how old are you' they'd answer 'I'm fine.' and after her 18 months there had no more speaking ability past the weather and 'play game...'

Not having a go at you, but for centuries a normal, no fun learning style produced some of the greatest minds ever known whereas in todays world of making learning fun and exciting etc,  western kids can't even write proper sentences.

Learning is learning, the playground is for fun.  That's why they are two distinct things.

For some remedial HS classes there's really no point. I'm not saying you're wrong, but trying to do it right is just pointless. Bear in mind as well that for centuries 95% of the population didn't attend school until age 18, either. Today I did pumpkin carving with my lowest level HS class after watching a couple of videos. Yes, I could have done another lesson aimed at teaching some basic conversation, but since they won't be taking English anymore starting two months from now, why not just learn how to make a Jack-o-lantern?