Read 2480 times

Will there ever be another USA?
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:37 am »
I am the first to admit that my country is on a steep decline from which it will never fully recover.  That said, the world will probably never see such a diverse, wealthy, idealistic, and tolerant society ever again.  Not sustainable, but damn we had a good run!   Even now, is there anywhere even close in the areas of innovation, human rights, technology, women's rights, environmental protection, music, literature, etc....?  And if someone says China I'm going to laugh hahah

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
Re: Will there ever be another USA?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:46 am »
Okay buddy.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:34 am »
Decline yes, imminent destruction, no.  If you're really from the USA, have a little optimism man.

• jih
  • Adventurer

• October 05, 2010, 12:54:04 pm
    • Seoul
You Mean Super Power?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:05:17 am »
If you mean a single country superpower than probably not.  Technology has brought the world together in a way unimaginable in the past.  The world has become smaller and interconnected.  The future is probably more inline with old science fiction concepts of geographically alliances.  You can already see this in the EU, US + close allies, Latin America, etc.  History has shown that every great power has its rise, it's peak, and its fall.  It's human nature.  Success breeds complacency.apathy and moral decay. Will American ever be reduced to a bit player?  Doubtful.  It's too big a part of the global economy in trade and size.  And though it's day has passed Europe is still relevant on the world stage.

Though I'm not sure where tolerance comes from...  The ideals of the United States of America are noble.  The American Dream is lofty.  But the reality is that the USA, like every nation, is filled with its terrible deeds as well as noble ones.  It's built on the persecution and destruction of the Native Americans, whom saved the first settlers.  I'm sure Thanksgiving is an irony for them.  We imprisoned Japanese Americans while letting their sons die fighting in World War II for us.  The list for bad is just as mind boggling as our list for good.

America is neither the shining beacon of humanity nor the terrible monster come to enslave the world.

• Spongeblob
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2011, 10:21:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »
Odds are there eventually will be something similar to the USA.  On another note it aint done yet (for good and bad).  I'm pretty sure what will end the rule of America is pride.  Who would have guessed?  :)

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:08 pm »
I am the first to admit that my country is on a steep decline from which it will never fully recover.  That said, the world will probably never see such a diverse, wealthy, idealistic, and tolerant society ever again.  Not sustainable, but damn we had a good run!   Even now, is there anywhere even close in the areas of innovation, human rights, technology, women's rights, environmental protection, music, literature, etc....?  And if someone says China I'm going to laugh hahah

How can you say America is a tolerant society?  Let me guess your a wasp like most of the English teachers in Korea.  I'm a betting person so I'll go with blue eyes.  America is tolerant society as long as your not Muslim or dress like a middle eastern person.  Also, not tolerant if you're African American in the deep south.  Let's not forget about how friendly we are to gay people.  2 states let them get married but in Canada it's legal. 
Now let's chat about how America loves to declare war on everything:  Drugs, education, countries with oil, and so on.
America is more tolerant in about something but really needs to work on other areas. imo

It's -ev to deal with some people.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »
Even now, is there anywhere even close in the areas of innovation, human rights, technology, women's rights, environmental protection, music, literature, etc....?  And if someone says China I'm going to laugh hahah

Finland, Sweden, Norway, etc.   Perhaps not in the innovation and technology field, but those are the most useless fields to be great at since you don't need most of it and the stuff you do need, you can just import.  You can't import good people, love, progression, etc.