Read 3999 times

• Hopey
  • Newgookin

• August 13, 2011, 09:51:18 am
    • China
How to Learn Spanish while Teaching English?
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:32 am »
Hello everyone!

I would like to teach English in a Spanish-speaking country, so I can make money with a job I love and learn the language.  However, I am having a difficult time finding information on how to do so. 

Here's my profile:
B.S. in International Studies
American
mid 20s, blonde girl (so no dangerous countries, por favor)
1 Year experience teaching English at the post-doctoral level at a university in China
Only enough money saved to cover a RT plane ticket

So far, the best I can come up with is au pairing in Spain.

I am also willing to learn French and/or German, instead of Spanish.

Thank you for your time!

Re: How to Learn Spanish while Teaching English?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
wait...so you are saying you want to learn more Spanish so you can teach it in the future?
or you already know Spanish and you are looking for the best place to teach it?

I heard there are SOME Spanish teaching jobs in Korea but they are few and far between.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:42:56 pm »
as far as teaching English in a Spanish speaking country.....I have done a little research on Uruguay and I am thinking about going there myself in a couple years.  Max salary is like $750/month for English teachers but the quality of life is awesome and they love immigrants so you can be granted full citizenship very easily.  Also very European culture with 90% claiming European heritage.  I've also heard Chile and Argentina are great places to live and teach English. Again, quality of life over earning potential though.

• DashGlobal
  • Adventurer

• May 15, 2011, 07:53:52 am
    • fayetteville, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:52:14 pm »
I sent you a PM.

:)

Something I didnt mention in the PM is I would join a salsa club if there is one in your city. There is ones def in Seoul and Busan.

Then search for actual spanish speaking groups or clubs to join.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:53:50 pm by DashGlobal »

• Hopey
  • Newgookin

• August 13, 2011, 09:51:18 am
    • China
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »
Thank you for the advice everyone!  Uruguay does look lovely.

Just to clarify -- I speak a little Spanish.  I want to learn to speak Spanish fluently.  I cannot afford to attend the Spanish immersion programs I have found, however.  Instead, it would be nice to teach English in a Spanish-speaking country and take Spanish language classes in my free time.

That said, I have taught English before (in China) and love the job.  I take teaching seriously and am aware that it is hard work.

Does anyone have advice on how to do this?  Perhaps someone has learned Spanish while teaching English in the past and can recommend a nice school?

Thanks again for your help!

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:31 am »
Does anyone have advice on how to do this?  Perhaps someone has learned Spanish while teaching English in the past and can recommend a nice school?
At one point, I was looking at getting a CELTA at IH Riviera Playa in Mexico, because it was a cheaper CELTA than say, getting certified in Miami.  I cannot speak for the school, but it is something you may consider.

If you run out of cash and are still stuck in the states, you might want to consider moving to Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, or Puerto Rico.  There are many, many Spanish speaking immigrants and communities.  You can get at least partial immersion in the states, especially in Miami.  You can get Telemundo and Univision on tv, and signs in stores are in both English and Spanish.

My cousin did the CELTA through IH in Mexico.  IH is great because it's international and once you've worked for one of them, you can pretty much work at any of their schools around the world.  That's where she learned all of her Spanish.  However, you need to do your research carefully on the IH schools as some of them are 'illegally' franchised.  Her particular school shafted her on a couple of things, refused to give her a letter of employmenet to renew her visa, deducted ridiculous amounts from her salary as 'expenses' and so on.  I can't remember which particular IH she worked for in Mexico but her overall experience with them there was awful.  The other branch of it that she worked for was pretty nice apparently.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:01 am »
Esta muy facil! La rosetta stone esta muy grande para usted!!!!!!!!!

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
Here's some info about teaching in Latin America,
http://tefltips.blogspot.com/2009/02/faq-for-latin-america.html

Here are lists of schools in LA
http://thelajoblist.blogspot.com

As for being fluent, it's hard, espeically if you teach English. Unless you fully immerse yourself in the langauge, like going to school and using it for work, it's hard.  I've spoken Spanish for 17 years, lived in Spanish speaking coutnries for 6 years, got citizenship and use it daily at home, (it's the langauge I speak at home) for nearly 7 years, passed the high test in order to become a Spanish teacher,  and I wouldn't consider myself fluent.

Our daughter will be. I willl never be.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:34:38 pm by naturegirl321 »
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:18 am »
Esta muy facil! La rosetta stone esta muy grande para usted!!!!!!!!!

Dude... no. Not hating on you for trying to learn, but  that's all kinds of wrong.

On fluency: it's really, really, hard to do while you're still speaking English on a daily basis, but immersion will make a big big difference.

On teaching: I haven't taught in LA, but I would keep my options open about the poorer countries, because cost of living is insanely low. Also, I wouldn't head down there until you've got more than enough for a plane ticket. Also, I'm told 2 things: a professional certificate helps, and it's very possible to get a job if you just show up in a country (although the prospect of that scares the crap out of me).

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »
While researching, I found that most spanish-speaking countries in South America do not really provide you with a good salary. If you have some money saved up it might be okay, otherwise you'll probably be scraping by. I think if you just kind of show up in your chosen city in like Argentina or Chile or something you'll be able to find a job by word of mouth.
I know that the french government has a teaching assistant program to put native teachers in public high schools, though the only two people I know that have gotten into that program were both French majors in college.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »
Lol!  So in other words, you want a job outside of asia?  If you are willing to learn Spanish, French, or German, that covers a fairly large population.  You really need to think about where you want to go.  I would probably stay in China if I were you.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »
Hey all,

I've lived on and off in LA for around 4 years, mainly working with NGO's as that's my background, however I also taught English in Argentina for a while.

I enjoyed it, however from my experience, unless you're a professional teacher and able to get a job in a private school or university you won't really make that much money. 

I've been in Korea for about a month teaching and from talking to other Native teachers Asia is the place to be to teach English and make some money.

I love Latin America and have learnt (and continue to learn) Spanish.  My girlfriend is Brazilian and I when I met here I didn't speak Portuguese, however she spoke Spanish, so I still speak Spanish to her on a daily basis (she is here with me in Korea) and I still am learning all the time.  I wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I do have a very high level (I was actually teaching literacy and numeracy to children in rural communities for 2 years in Spanish).  However learning Spanish while teaching  is hard on the brain.  The last thing you feel like doing after a day of teaching is studying, that being said, Spanish is WAY easier than Korean, and it all depends on how dedicated you are.  As well, learning Spanish will make you experience in LA 100 times richer ;)

Like I said, LA is such a wonderful and diverse part of the world, however in my experience it was hard to make ends meet while teaching English.  $750 a month seems about right, however that won't go as far as you think.  I would recomend having something else saved up before hand.

Lastly, it was really easy to find a job once you get there, being a native speaker is enough.

Suerte!!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:22:03 pm by steve2398132 »

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 03:38:57 pm »
A friend of mine has done this program for the last 3 years and loves it. Her Spanish is perfect now.

http://www.mec.es/sgci/usa/en/programs/us_assistants/default.shtml

Suerte!

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:53 pm »
Are you in Korea?

I am currently teaching English here but would much prefer to teach Spanish in Seoul. If anyone on this thread knows somewhere I can teach Spanish or tutor Spanish in Seoul please reply. I have a bachelor's degree in Hispanic Studies and have traveled and lived in numerous countries.

Thanks.