Read 1195 times

Professional Certificates that are worth something?
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:22:14 am »
Hey everyone, I'm heading home in about 6 months.  I studied Chinese in college, along with politics.  I was really clueless and thought the Chinese would be a prized asset, but it's not possible to find a job with only that.  I've saved up quite a bit of money now, and I'm looking to either break into a different industry, like IT (interested), or do some kind of vocational certificate.  The thing is, I don't want to work in the USA, but I don't want to be a wandering teacher forever either.  I'd prefer some stable, non-teaching job in China, Singapore, or Canada. 

At the moment, since I'm kind of a tecchie with no actual job experience, I was looking to breeze through the A+ and N+ and start working on my CCNA for networking, but I've never talked to anyone who has experience with that.  I'm not thinking those will be enough for emigration to other countries, even with my language skills, especially to a country like China.

That being said, I thought we could have a thread about professional certificates that are worth something, especially because I think a lot of us aren't degree holders in teaching and would like to move on to something different.  We've all got loans, and not all of us can afford to back to college for 4 years or do masters programs.  If I could, I'd go back for engineering, but it's 4 years and quite expensive!

Anyway, if anyone has advice about working outside the US/UK/wherever you are from, what skills are actually in demand, or just want to talk about useful certificates, feel free to post!  TEFL certificate programs are welcome as well, but I think there are a ton of threads already on that subject.

Re: Professional Certificates that are worth something?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »
I've got a TESOL Cert and a BA,they both haven't helped me get a job in Australia (but my work experience or other skills have). Even a TESOL/TEFL masters is useless in Australia (due to English colleges going broke like hagwons along with our really strict immigration).Only in Korea and China have they got recognition ( I've only worked in Korea but have applied for jobs in China). As for Chinese language skills,they would probably be really good in real estate/tourism in Sydney/Melbourne etc. As for tech jobs, you'd have to look elsewhere (IT qualified people in Australia have the same issues as Arts graduate students trying to find jobs in their respective fields). 

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
Re: Professional Certificates that are worth something?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:03 pm »
If you really want to make use of your Chinese then try studying finance or something like that.
The CFA is  good way to go and its not that hard.