Read 7863 times

Re: Anyone Else Getting Screwed on Their EPIK Entry Allowance
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:58 am »

There's no ambiguity in the English version; and based on that, I think one would win a challenge before the 'Labor Board' - Labor Relations Commission - or the court (if it went that far). However, the governing language of the contract is Korean. So, perhaps it is "clutching at straws".

Also, as gayageum pointed out earlier and I mentioned again above, Article 11(1) does make it fairly clear, even in the English, that the entrance allowance is intended to support the employee's entrance into Korea. And, I'm afraid the Korean is even clearer, using a rather different phrase to the English "entrance allowance" and specifically calling it 'money to support entry into Korea'. In fact, the way the Korean is worded, I wouldn't be that surprised if they were legally able to not pay the entrance allowance even to someone who was already living in Korea but hadn't been working in a PS, or perhaps hadn't been working at all - like an F-visa holder.

I think what would be fair would be -
If the employee switches to a different PS employer, the employee would be paid W2,000,000 (1 mil. each from the old & new employers); and forgoes the W300,000 'settlement allowance'. This would be almost the same as 're-signing' - with the exception the employee would lose their two calendar weeks of 'home leave'.

I certainly wouldn't complain if that were the deal. If we were able to negotiate it, then that would be a good result to aim for. Although, I suspect, from the employer's side, they'd say that there needs to be a significant incentive for people to renew with their POE they're working with and not keep moving around, and that just the loss of the bonus 2 weeks wouldn't be enough of a difference.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
I think what would be fair would be -
If the employee switches to a different PS employer, the employee would be paid W2,000,000 (1 mil. each from the old & new employers); and forgoes the W300,000 'settlement allowance'. This would be almost the same as 're-signing' - with the exception the employee would lose their two calendar weeks of 'home leave'.

I certainly wouldn't complain if that were the deal. If we were able to negotiate it, then that would be a good result to aim for. Although, I suspect, from the employer's side, they'd say that there needs to be a significant incentive for people to renew with their POE they're working with and not keep moving around, and that just the loss of the bonus 2 weeks wouldn't be enough of a difference.
Really? Everybody's different, but I detest moving - it takes at least a month to 'get comfortable' in a new place.

I've moved twice in six years in K-land: once when I changed jobs, and once when at the same job. It's a huge disruption in one's life and stressful (unless you're used to backpacking around S.E Asia... everything is 'relative').

The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:56 pm »
Oh, I quite agree. When I changed jobs here and moved from one part of the country to another, the moving actually cost me more than most newbies would have paid to fly to Korea. (It was my choice to move, however. No employer forced me.)

But (a) it'll be less expensive and less of a big deal for people here on a much shorter term basis than the likes of you or I, and (b) I did say "from the employer's point of view". People renewing rather than going somewhere else in the country usually saves what they'd regard as a fair amount of hassle.