Read 1667 times

• Gokseongwaygook
  • Adventurer

• July 15, 2009, 08:12:44 am
    • Gokseong, Jollanamdo, South Korea
What would you do? (Planning lessons for another teacher)
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:33:18 am »
Hey All, hope the rain isn't getting you down.
I'm in the home stretch of my last month here. 42 days left mostly going to be deskwarming.
I've been requested to plan the entire lesson plan regime for next semester that i'm not going to be here teaching.

Does it make sense for the foreigner that is NOT going to be here in korea to PLAN LESSONS they will NOT be teaching? I find this wierd. I've been here 5

years and this request is the wierdest. Ok...maybe the one time in Incheon being asked to hold co teacher's handbag still ranks up there.

But still...what would you guys do?

Plan extensively? LIghtly? Not even plan? I feel conflicted.

[MOD EDIT: Changed title]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:38:57 pm by Sara Teacher »

• Spongeblob
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2011, 10:21:58 am
    • South Korea
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:53:50 am »
Ouch, that is a bit of a pain but if the school requested it of you then they have a good reason.  I'm guessing it's because you are a great teacher and they are not sure about what the quality of whoever replaces you will be.  To hedge their bets they are hoping you will design a lesson plan season for the newbie. 

Do you have to do it?  No.  Should you do it?  Maybe, it will give you some goodbye bonus points and help out a newbie.  I would do it but it wouldn't be my usual 110 percent awesome, just the slightly reduced 100.

Spongeblob  :D

• Gokseongwaygook
  • Adventurer

• July 15, 2009, 08:12:44 am
    • Gokseong, Jollanamdo, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:11 pm »
OP, don't you already have material from your previous year? Just put all that in a pile and attach a fancy cover page. That should take at least 20 days.

- I'm not sure about the whole idea yet even.  Forgot to mention i work in an english zone where our lesson plans were done at the start-in march-and might be tuned for the grades that didn't visit. If this is the case...gravy no problem. If they want to restructure our whole system and create new zones on each floor...this actually might take 22 days.

As for helping the newbie out, I'ld love to  but I'm worried about helping out too much. There's tons of mats here already that i did indeed make. So they'll have tons o access. I'll leave the contact email of course. Just worried about management issues which have changed this year and change is well...just that change. It takes time to adjust. I'm adjusting by going home.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:32:34 pm »
Personally?  I would put all my stuff onto the work computer for the new person.  Any thing that is a hard copy, put into a file folder and leave ontop of the work computer.  Done deal. 

Maybe if you are feeling incredibly kind and generous- leave a note for the new teacher with good websites, etc for them.-  if they are a total newbie and have never taught/taught in Korea.

I am in the same boat as you.  I leave in 30 days and I have organized my files onto my work computer.

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
Re: What would you do? (Planning lessons for another teacher)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »
My school asked me to do this before I left also.

So what did I do? I guess it would fall into your "plan lightly" category. I put together a weekly schedule of topics for them, and left worksheets (most of which I've already used) to go along with each week. I also left a Word document with helpful ESL videos and songs (I teach elementary), and a bunch of PPT and classroom games. The next teacher can choose the activities they want, while staying on track with what the students have already learned.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
Re: What would you do? (Planning lessons for another teacher)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
Yea my last school asked me to do this before I changed to a different city and I compiled a total bs curriculum. Just copy lesson plans from online and put them all together. It's great and by the time they say DERP you will be long gone.