Read 2263 times

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
B- blood urgently needed in Gwangju
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:29:28 pm »
A friend and prominent member of the expatriate community in Gwangju / Jeollanam-do is in urgent need of several blood transfusions.  Here's what the Gwangju International Center posted yesterday:
Long-time friend of GIC is now feeling sick and need blood transfusions.

His blood type is Rh-B (Type: B, RH -) and he needs several transfusions.
If you can help out please call 011.9943.8066 or if you can speak Korean call 061-379-7963(Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital).

You can also go the Red Cross downtown near the police station and they can do tests if you don't already know what type you are.

Kindly pass along this message to your friends/ contacts in and around Gwangju.
Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Sincerely,
Gwangju International Center

There are restrictions about who can donate---see this blog post for more---but if you are in South Korea and can contribute, please do. 
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Re: B- blood urgently needed in Gwangju
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:52:44 pm »
Here's an update going around Facebook from his friend:
A few days ago Michael Simning - an expat in Gwangju - visited the hospital because he wasn't feeling very well.

He discovered that he has leukemia, was admitted into the hospital immediately (where he will stay for at least a month), and has started to undergo chemotherapy treatments.

As part of his treatment Michael needs to receive several blood transfusions.

Michael's blood type is B-, which is very rare, and so he, his family, and his friends are trying to find people in Korea who can donate blood to him immediately as well as periodically throughout the next couple of weeks. (O- blood wonít work in this case.)

If your blood type is B-, and you are able and willing to donate, please consider contacting Tim Whitman at 011.9600.6378 or tugrocers@gmail.com. Tim will pass your name and phone number along to Michael and his family.

You can also help by passing this message along to friends of yours here in Korea too.

Many people -- unfortunately -- don't know their blood type. You can find out yours -- and at the same time find out if you can help Michael -- by visiting a hospital in your area.

The procedure is relatively painless and should only take a few minutes.

In case youíre worried about communicating with the staff, you can print out and show them the following information, which explains to them why youíre there and why you need this information:

친구가 백혈병에 걸려서 도움이 필요합니다.
제 친구는 Rh-B 형 입니다.
제 혈액형 검사받고 하고 싶습니다. Rh-/Rh+ 인지까지 정확히 검사 받고싶습니다.

Once you find out your blood type, and if it is B-, you can do the same as those who already know theirs: contact Tim Whitman at 011.9600.6378 or tugrocers@gmail.com.

In the meantime Michaelís immune system is very weak so he isnít able to receive any visitors. He is able to communicate using the internet and telephone, however, and many friends have been wishing him well using Facebook.

And as a side note from me, a friend: Mikeís sickness and rehabilitation may cause a lot of financial strain to him and his wife and daughter, so if you are in Gwangju, please consider supporting him in a very direct manner by shopping at the Underground Grocers and by eating at the First Alleyway, both of which will remain open in his absence.

Underground Grocers is open on Wednesday from 11 to 7, on Thursday and Friday from 1 to 7, and on Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 7; the First Alleway is open Wednesday to Saturday from 5 to 10ish and on Sunday from 11 to 5 for an all day breakfast.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »
Wow!  I've been here for almost a year and a half, and I have not realized foreigners can donate blood.  Ironically, I won't be able to give back to my country until 3 years after I settle in, because they consider the area I live in as malaria infested.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help Michael because I don't have the right blood, neither do I live in Gwangju.  However, since I live in Chuncheon, does anybody know where I can go to try to donate blood?
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

• goulash
  • Veteran

• September 19, 2006, 01:41:40 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:01:53 am »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help Michael because I don't have the right blood, neither do I live in Gwangju.  However, since I live in Chuncheon, does anybody know where I can go to try to donate blood?

To answer your question, and to anyone else who's not in Gwangju, but may be able to help Michael, you can donate blood at any hospital in Korea. Also, if you do have B Rh- blood, but don't live in Gwangju, it is possible for the hospital to transfer the blood to Gwangju.

So once again, if anyone in Korea has B Rh- blood, and would be willing to help, PLEASE call Tim Whitman (Michael's business partner and friend) on  011.9600.6378 or tugrocers@gmail.com.

Michael will need on-going treatment, so more blood will be needed.

Thank you.
Goulash
walkabout.wombat@gmail.com