Read 9675 times

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Anyone Worked for Pagoda?
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »
Hey all,

With the bust of GEPIK, and my current job ending in September, I have already applied and had a phone interview with Pagoda. I have been looking at their packages for both Pagoda and Direct English, and I am curious if anyone else has worked for them, knew someone who did, or has any idea about what it is like to work there.

I know that it would be a split shift, mostlikely for the first 18 months, less if lucky. The base pay at Pagoda is 2.6mil with a 100,000won housing allowance. So that makes 2.7mil, but with housing, that would probably drop to 2.0mil.

I am just wondering if it is worth working there or not, now that public schools are going to be droping NETs like flies. I have commitments to be in the Seoul area, and I would be happy with any options or opinions you fine people of the waygook community.

Thanks.

Re: Anyone Worked for Pagoda?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:54 am »
Never worked at Pagoda, thank god. Had a friend who did. Had to pay for their apartment and work split shifts. Need I say more?

• Mlatte
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 07:55:07 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:59 am »
It is ironic that there is a post here about Pagoda.  I have an interview for the one in Incheon.  Now, I am hestitant about going for the interview because it was blacklisted on an ESL Website for many reasons.  Out of curiosity, has anyone worked at this specific Pagoda or known anyone that has worked there?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:13 am »
A friend of mine worked at Pagoda but I'm not sure which part of Seoul it was in.  She hated it and they fired her for a ridiculous reason at the beginning of her 11th month.  She worked split shifts starting from 6:00am and finished at around 22:30.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:15:16 pm »
Well just to throw in my 2 cents, my friend and her bf worked for Pagoda in Busan and seemed to like it.  She actually encouraged me to apply there and I did but was offered a public school position first.

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »
A friend of mine worked at Pagoda but I'm not sure which part of Seoul it was in.  She hated it and they fired her for a ridiculous reason at the beginning of her 11th month.  She worked split shifts starting from 6:00am and finished at around 22:30.

I really hope she took that to the labor board because they know all about the 11 month dismissals and would have sided with your friend 100%. I know several people who have been in this situation and won every time.

If the labor board gets enough complaints like that about a certain hagwon then that hagwon will get a black mark on their file and can have their license  withdrawn.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »
Every single person I have known to work for Pagoda has quit, ended up hating the schedule, or aged about 15 years during the contract. 
I have not known a single person to like the working hours. 
Keep in mind – with the last class typically finishing around 11 pm and first class typically starting around 630AM --   you only get a full night’s rest about once a week.
Everyone complained of constant fatigue.

They had high hopes of going to gym everyday, taking Korean lessons, etc. but never actually did much other than catch up on sleep. 

They did however have enjoyable relationships with their students.

I have been here almost 10 years.  That is not important.  I just say that so you know I have known A LOT of people try to work for Pagoda.

I hope this helped.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:57 am »
Yeah, I appreciate all the comments. I gave up on them a long time ago, but I think this thread is still important to comment on as Pagoda hires tones of teachers. I just don't like their system. Nothing about it seems logical for the teachers. I already tried the start at 6:30am  and end at 11:00pm thing before, and it didn't go well.

I think the biggest problem with Pagoda, other than the schedule, is there nonsensical pay scale. I mean, even if you had been teaching 20 years, you start at 2.1mil. That is nonsense.