Read 6432 times

• UKsimon
  • Veteran

• September 20, 2010, 09:04:01 am
Has anyone played dodgeball at school?
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
I've been asked to make a PPT with the rules and instructions for dodgeball.

Does the game played in Korea differ from the way it's played in North America?

• Ben-Ja-Meen
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm
    • Seoul (Dongdaemun Area)
Re: Has anyone played dodgeball at school?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:43 pm »
Yeah... I'd like to know this as well.  I have a Summer Camp "Sports Day" coming up and I wanted to teach actions verbs via dodgeball as well as other athletic games.  :)

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:57 pm »
It's called 피구 and yes it does. It's played on a rectangular court split in two. Players are inside one of two squares or outside the square in which the opposing players are in. When a player inside gets hit, she moves to the outside of the opposite team's side.

Get a random group of Korean kids of any age anywhere to demonstrate it for you.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:48 pm »
Here's a video demonstrating how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtMnSL-OHY0

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
i don't play it at school, but i do play it at taekwondo. i don't like to play it any more because the kids can really aggressive and competitive... i'm just one man!!!  :o
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »
Some of the students played it at sports day recently it's the same as the American version

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:14 pm »
Very carefully.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
yeah, we were playing dodge ball today in the classroom with a nerf football and the football got lodged in the ceiling fan (which was in use at the time) and broke the blade. My VP removed the broken parts. I offered to pay for it. he said no. My KT scolded me and said they managed not to tell the P. he said no more games like that in the classroom!
(sorry, that doesn't really answer the question. We just play by american rules).

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »
yeah, we were playing dodge ball today in the classroom with a nerf football and the football got lodged in the ceiling fan (which was in use at the time) and broke the blade. My VP removed the broken parts. I offered to pay for it. he said no. My KT scolded me and said they managed not to tell the P. he said no more games like that in the classroom!
(sorry, that doesn't really answer the question. We just play by american rules).

You should get detention... whoops, wrong country. Okay... you should be forced to kneel in the hall and write -
'I will not play American pigu in the classroom' 100 times.  ;)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

You should get detention... whoops, wrong country. Okay... you should be forced to kneel in the hall and write -

That would be preferable to two weeks in a K-hospital for playing ball tag with a nerf ball.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:31:40 pm »

That would be preferable to two weeks in a K-hospital for playing ball tag with a nerf ball.

Definitely... but then I never would have met my pervy K doctor... and wouldn't have all those great K-ospital stories.  ;D
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »
Yep. Played it with some of the other teachers. Pro tip: aim for the really girly teachers who are scared of the ball and tend to clump together. Easy outs!  :D

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:27 am »
The Korean version is really boring. It just uses one ball, so everyone is just standing around most of the time, and everyone is ready for the ball to come their way. Use multiple balls and it's way better.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13:00 am »
Korean version uses one ball...same size playing field though divided in two.  Korean schools tend to use volleyballs (not actual dodgeballs) when they play because
that's just what the school has.  In the Korean one the people who are out can stand on the outskirts of the opposing team's side and can also take part in getting the
ball to throw at the other team to get them out.  If you catch the ball from the opposing side in the korean version your team member doesn't get to comeback.

I think those are the main things about the korean way from what i've played with my students.  I basically just taught them the american way i learned in elementary
school and then it was a 5 min free talking session where they explained to me how what i said was different then the dodgeball game they know.  haha

• Scott2hotty
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2010, 01:04:37 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 08:41:23 am »
Yes! And it went very successfully!

The biggest issue for me was making sure the students (i.e. the "boys") didn't throw any head shots.
Another problem was that when the students where in Jail/"out" they still wanted to retrieve the balls and be able to throw then while in jail. I had to explain to them that isn't how it really works when you are in "Jail". Geez, kids these days, haha!

Also I made a very simple power point to explain the rules to the kids:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3561.msg17819.html#msg17819

Enjoy!