Read 6625 times

Re: I'm exhausted.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:12 am »
Yes, I think several poster's ideas have knocked it on the head.  I believe it's a combo of things.

1.  Zero and I MEAN zero mental or positive emotional stimulation at work.  I honeslty believe this is probably the main culprit.

2.  Mainly sitting at a desk for 4 hours plus a day browsing the net.

3.  Working amongst a culture I do not relate to and with people who don't see me as a real person and which often makes me obscenely frustrated at times as the only forigner there.  Unable to really express my personailty.  My friend in Shanghai says it's night and day there compared to Korea, so I am looking forward to giving that a shot.

4.  Coffee.  I drink stupid ammounts of it and I know it can exhaust the adrenals.

5.  I do have a sensitive nervous system and my 3 -4 cigs a day are not helping obviously, need to knock that on the head as of today in fact. 

6.  THE HEAT.  Yes I do feel it much more in the summer.  In fact I mentally dread summer because of this.  In winter I am a lot better.

So yeah I'll drop the coffee (just went and bought lots of decaff and pwdered green tea for work and home) and few cigs a day and have already cut my booze intake way down.  But still, my friend who is the same age as me and has never smoked, eats well and rarely drinks at all said he feels the same, the exhaustion, the unexplainable zombie like malaise.  he also feels the same about the job and the country as I do - merely here for the paycheck and easy life, nothing else.  So I'm thinking numbers 1 and 2 above ARE the main culprits and obviously bad diet and bad habbits only exasperate (sp?) the issue.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:34:58 am by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:22 am »
What's your deal?  You sound weird

Thanks for your constructive input!

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 11:50:08 am »
like someone else said, it sounds like mental strain to me.
teaching is tiring. how long have you been here? a lot of people can ride the high of the new setup for a number of months before the mental strain of teaching (even if we like it) catches up.

try something new, like a new hobby, new sport, new girlfriend? haha 

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 12:40:14 pm »
like someone else said, it sounds like mental strain to me.
teaching is tiring. how long have you been here? a lot of people can ride the high of the new setup for a number of months before the mental strain of teaching (even if we like it) catches up.

try something new, like a new hobby, new sport, new girlfriend? haha

6 and a half years.  Haven't really liked teaching for the most of it.  It's a chore I carry out for an apt to myself, a long lie in, saving 1.5mil a month and the 'excitement and adventure' of living abroad, which is wearing off now. 

Well actually I DO like teaching, just not to about 60% of Korean kids....  They are a strange / special bunch, one must admit

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 12:47:22 pm »
You are always talking about how much you drink, maybe cut down on that? 

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »
You are always talking about how much you drink, maybe cut down on that?

I feel the same booze or no booze.  Pretty sure I already mentioned that several times.  Have cut way down also anyhow.

• notanartist
  • Veteran

• June 08, 2011, 02:43:35 pm
    • Hwajeong, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 01:17:19 pm »
I bet it's more #2 than #1.  My  co-teacher was preparing students for final exams the last couple weeks, and just had me sitting at my desk all day.  I always went home exhausted and grumpy, while I usually leave school in a good mood.

I had a similar situation at a job in the States for almost 4 months.  I started to get really down, and the only thing that pulled me out of it was making a schedule for my down-time at work.  I forced myself to study Korean, read the news, read books, and do something physically active each for a certain amount of time every day.  It was a bit contrived, and felt forced at times (especially when I had to pull myself away from youtube to study), but it greatly improved my mood!

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• November 24, 2010, 07:56:37 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:11:47 pm »
Add me to the list!

The past two weeks I've had a bunch of classes cancelled (like 6 or 8 a week!). I share this news with friends and they all wonder why I'm complaining about it. I actually enjoy teaching and prefer doing that than sitting at my desk. At least while teaching I can converse with my students and have fun company around (most of the time).

When I get home I feel pretty tired too. I try not to go near my couch in fear that I'll fall asleep (which has happened a couple times). I think it is the weather and the end of the school year that's making us feel so lousy. Happily, I started going to the gym again a couple days ago and that has given me a bit more energy at home and at work.

Sorry to hear so many people are experiencing the same thing, but it's nice to know that things aren't off balance in my body.
http://www.iherb.com Use coupon code fes089 to save $5-$10 on groceries/vitamins/beauty products.

http://earthclinic.com/  Natural Home Remedies

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »
Yup something is in the air.

After school I seem to relax with a beer or two, then shut my eyes and doze off for a good few hours.

I feel exhausted even if I'm not teaching much (sitting in front of the PC all day can be draining too). My energy levels slowly decrease through the day.

Even if I go to the gym early the high energy feeling doesn't last all day.

I actually think that this culture can be mentally draining. Being the only foreigner at our schools, being in an alien environment and to some extent putting on a facade.

For me, I know that being home would greatly improve things. This culture is limiting after a set time. I'm giving myself 7 more months for the same reason as you - saving money.

Can't wait to leave and wish I'd been more conscientious about my potential savings.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:11:24 pm by Anyong Casseyo »