Read 4260 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Tired of sitting on the subway and looking across and seeing 8 out of ten people fidgeting with their cellphones.
Tired of people walking in a crowd at crawling space because they're watching frigging tv on their phone.
Tired of idiots stopping at the top of escalators (or half way up the steps) to text their friends when 500 other people are behind them.
Tired of talking to a person only to have the conversation interrupted by a tweet (or whatever) and that person feeling they must respond right then righ there in the middle of our conversation.
Tired of seeing people constantly fidgeting with gagetry.
Grrr.

Put your cell phones away already.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:23:21 pm by Horus »

• bhwung
  • Veteran

• April 01, 2011, 08:05:04 am
    • Busan
Re: Getting really tired of the whole "cell phone culture" thing.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
I definitely share your thoughts on that one, haha.  I was raised by my parents to put all electronics and distractions away when in the presence of other people.  To me it's pretty rude to pull out your cellphone at the table and text your crush the whole time instead of talking to the other people sitting next to you.  Sadly a lot of my friends are obsessed with checking facebook every 2 minutes on their smart phone. That's why I just have a phone that calls people :D You can't change other people but you can say no for yourself!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:37:16 pm by bhwung »

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »
Did you know as soon as a baby is born in Korea they hand it a cellphone?  :)

Lol, I know what you mean. I have been noticing it more and more recently. They are completly obsessed with them and their life revolves around their precious cellphone.

I don't have a cellphone here in Korea and it is great not having one.

• Wretchard
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2010, 09:26:36 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »
Yeah I feel the same sometimes. I spend enough time in front of a computer. It's good to be away from all of the useless info that the net brings once in a while.

Although I'm going on vacation soon and would be a hell of a lot easier to meet my friends 'somewhere between Siem Reap and Ho Chi Minh City' if I had an
iphone with wifi or something!

• tfuller
  • Super Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 10:24:46 am
    • Yongsan, Chungbuk
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:50:53 pm »
Relax. You're starting to see what will become normal behaviour in your own country. Just give it a year or two, you'll see. 

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
Relax. You're starting to see what will become normal behaviour in your own country. Just give it a year or two, you'll see.

Already normal in UK.  Young people today are witless automatrons.

When I go back in about 8 months I'll have enough money to not work for a year.  I'm going to become a recluse in South London, sitting at my desk all day wearing smart clothes, watching films, drinking and smoking until my body withers away and only emerging into the modern world once or twice a week for an hour or two to have a dinner with friends or stroll around Soho and Chinatown.  I'm starting to get a notion that IF I make a hat out of bacofoil, it migh protect me from the constant advertisments aimed at people in their early twenties you see everywhere in the urban landscape and also from the low brow media culture.  But no, no...  surely newspaper would suffice..?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:01:06 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

• shaunew
  • Explorer

• July 04, 2011, 09:31:36 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:05:11 pm »
I hate when people walk while looking at their smartphone or tablet computer and walk right into you. I now just walk straight and if they hit me and their phone or tablet falls and hits the ground their fault. So far 3 people have dropped their phones/tablets.

• shmoogrin
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2010, 03:08:32 pm
    • Jinju, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »
My wife and I have absolute bare-bones cell phones here, and we don't have a land line.  95% of the calls or texts on the phone are between my wife and I, the rest split evenly with coteachers and friends.  I might be showing my age when I admit I had never even texted until coming to Korea.  I too feel the desire to bowl down the head-down, self absorbed text junkies that litter the Korean landscape, and sadly are becoming more popular in Canada too.  I know it is wrong but I chuckled when I heard of a lady texting while walking across the street and getting hit by a bus.  It would be nice if those people could learn in a less fatal way, and I would never really knock someone down unless I really did not see them coming, but it is pretty tempting.  It was chilling the first time I saw a table full of teenagers at the mall food court all gazing raptly at their glowing cell phones in total silence for about 5 minutes before actually talking to one another.  It reminded me of Children of the Corn.  Anyone?  Showing my age again.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:49 pm »
I hate when people walk while looking at their smartphone or tablet computer and walk right into you. I now just walk straight and if they hit me and their phone or tablet falls and hits the ground their fault. So far 3 people have dropped their phones/tablets.

...and just think ten years ago it was exactly the same, and it was only a lowly cellphone with a tiny screen to blame;) Walking with their head down is an unfortunate cultural habit...adding more gadgetry (distractions) just makes it worse. 

• cmster
  • Adventurer

• June 28, 2010, 01:54:53 am
    • Mississauga, ON
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »
I don't really mind the cellphone enhanced backdrop when I walk, it's just the feeling of being expected to be within reach no matter where I am. I feel people have really lost their planning skills when it comes to meeting up. Everything's just so last minute. You can't make a plan and trust eachother to actually show up, you need to constantly text eachother to reassure you're both going to be in the same place at the same time.

• IslandGook
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 04:18:49 pm
    • Jindo Island
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:17 pm »

...and just think ten years ago it was exactly the same, and it was only a lowly cellphone with a tiny screen to blame;) Walking with their head down is an unfortunate cultural habit...adding more gadgetry (distractions) just makes it worse. 

I remember being trained as a kid that it was rude to read books or papers while walking down the street.  Of course, that meant that it was at one point a problem that people were walking into each other while buried into their new book.  Times change, people stay the same. 

• Sticks
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 03:27:45 pm
    • Cheonan/Ansan, Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »
Spatial awareness? I walk down the street with my face glued to my phone all the time, never bump into anyone and I manage to avoid most obstacles.

Or people could be avoiding me, oh well.  ::)

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 05:55:24 pm »
The best (or worst) I experienced was when one of the phone freaks received a call as she was exiting the train. She froze in the doorway, blocking all and sundry who were trying to get on/off with the doors closing on her. What an idiot.   :o :o :o

I have also experienced walking slap bang into one of these people (I refuse to give way anymore) and the person bounced off me and continued to walk on as though nothing has happened after juggling for her phone before it hit the ground. To this day, she still hasn't figured out that she collided with another person.  I cannot believe that people can be so unconscious. It actually freaks me out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:57:30 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
One of my ways to relax is to grab my kindle and walk along the river.  I've never had a problem.  I stay off the bike lane and look up from time to time and listen.  Hmmm

• incognito84
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2008, 01:51:25 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »
It's weird how much the kids are into phones. I mean it's not weird, what's weird is that they're given phones and no one has seemed to tell them that it's inappropriate to use them in certain places/times. I have a really hard time getting kids to surrender their phones in class and they act as if no one has ever tried to separate their phones from them before.

I have kids as young as eight years old with smartphones and they're always looking for excuses to whip their phone out and play on it during class.

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:44 am »
And of course my elementary school students have way better phones than I do. It's an unfortunate circumstance but this is pretty much happening everywhere in the world.

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
Tired of sitting on the subway and looking across and seeing 8 out of ten people fidgeting with their cellphones.

What do you want them to do? Sit and stare quietly?