Read 7174 times

• mtnbk13
  • Adventurer

• November 09, 2009, 09:47:17 am
    • Busan
Pictures game
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:18:35 am »
This game was a major success.  I split my class (a small one) into three teams.  Two teams play at once.  Half of each team sits with their back to the screen.  The other half of their team faces them (and the screen).  They must get their team members to say the words at the top of each slide using only English, no sounds, no hands, no Korean.  First team to 5 wins, losing team is out.  Winners switch (who is talking, who is guessing) and third team takes the open seats.  Lasts about 35 minutes and they love it.

• Ashlea
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2009, 12:58:12 pm
    • Wonju, South Korea
Re: Pictures game
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:57:33 am »
Thanks for adding this, I am going to use it for a final lesson & snack party on my last day. I will let you know how it goes :) thanks again!

• Ashlea
  • Adventurer

• December 07, 2009, 12:58:12 pm
    • Wonju, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
I ended up doing this game earlier than I had expected, I found if I had more than one student at the front there was too much cheating (looking at the board, other students using gestures etc) so I found that one student at the front and the teams taking turns giving hints worked best. I gave the point to the team that gave the best hint. Also..I'd suggest removing "stupid" with George Bush's picture...the kid's didn't get why that was funny..and I think the coteachers were a little offended...err

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »
I used this game in my class today, and it went very well. However I modified this Powerpoint to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion, and I removed some slides, particularly many of the western pop-culture based ones, as most of my students didn't have a clue, and changed some pictures.

I also added a 30 second countdown timer on each slide to give each team the same amount of time.

Thank you to the original poster.

• cinnamon
  • Waygookin

• June 03, 2010, 08:17:17 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »

I also added a 30 second countdown timer on each slide to give each team the same amount of time.

Unless my PC is doing something odd it seems both these powerpoints are exactly the same?

I cannot see a countdown timer.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24:13 pm »
No countdown for me as well
Freedom is like farts... You enjoy yours but usually can't stand other's...

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:08:38 am »
Hmmm....

I made this using Keynote on a Mac then exported it to PPT, so that might have caused some issues.

OK, I'll remake it in PC PPT proper and re-upload it.

Sorry for the mixup.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:50 am »
OK, the timer should be working now...

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:41 am »
Since this game was a big success for me a few months ago, I started working on some new slides!
The addition of the timer in the slides is really great!
I find this game to be a really good backup to have on hand at all times.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:32:41 am by Karolina13 »

• Florence7
  • Adventurer

• October 28, 2010, 01:08:53 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:53:13 am »
fantastic. thank you so much!

• Aadi
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:27:20 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:44 pm »
This game has been a huge success every time I've used it.  The energy level is so high that I only use it to end a class and have never played longer than 15 minutes.  Here are two ways I've played it that differ from those mentioned above:

(1)  Class is broken into teams (usually 3).  The first team sends one member to the front of the class to stand with his/her back to the screen.  The team then has 3 minutes to help the member in at the front guess as many words as possible.  The team can pass if the word is too hard.  Repeat with other teams.

This is how I first played the game and I found its major shortcoming to be that at any given moment 2/3 of the class is not directly involved in playing and is therefore becoming restive.  Eliminating this problem led me to another method:

(2) Each team sends one member to stand back to the screen (3 students fit perfectly in front of mine).  The point for each slide is awarded to the team whose member says the word first.

I started using this method after I noticed that constituents of the non-participating 2/3 would often jump in and start helping out the teams they were ostensibly competing against.  The game so captivates my students that they don't really care about points.

I've seen no cheating in any of my classes, perhaps because the way my classroom is set up positions me right next to the screen--I'd notice any surreptitious glance.  Anyway, it's a great game that's never gone sideways for me.  Attached is the PPT I've been using.  I find my students typically consume ~3 slides per minute. 

• pwalk002
  • Explorer

• September 09, 2010, 03:39:07 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
 ;D Thanks for this guys!  I teach at a school full of crazies and this game is the ONLY one that commands all of their attention for the entire class period. 

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »
thanks...

• heffneh
  • Adventurer

• September 15, 2010, 07:57:24 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:53 am »
THE FLYSWATTER GAME!!!

pictures on the wall. You say the word. They slap the picture with a flyswatter. Elaborate on the basic game design to get them using the language. Team who wins gets candy!

Paper airplane game. Same layout, except if they get the question right, they throw a paper airplane at the target you've drawn on the board for points.

• jimathoy
  • Explorer

• March 01, 2011, 10:04:21 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
this worked really well for me

thanks a lot

• cstark
  • Newgookin

• September 07, 2010, 12:28:42 pm
    • daegu
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the post! was looking for a new activity to get everyone participating!