Read 7463 times

• eryan390
  • Explorer

• October 04, 2010, 06:45:12 pm
    • Cheonan, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea
Making Ice Cream
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »
I did this with a high school science-in-English class and a beginner elementary class, so I figure it would work with any level and with a small group of students. For the science class, I taught states if matter vocab and about endothermic and exothermic reactions. For the elementary schoolers, I just taught the recipe vocabulary (sugar, milk, ice, salt, bag, cup, spoon, shake, put) and went over how to read and follow a recipe. Either way, the point of the lesson is the fun fun fun bit making and eating ice cream!

here's a link to the recipe i used:

http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html

• rmariel7
  • Waygookin

• July 01, 2010, 08:03:48 am
    • South Korea
Re: Making Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »
Good Idea!

• rxqueen
  • Veteran

• December 01, 2010, 02:56:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »
To anyone who has made ice-cream in a bag with students, did you do 1 bag per student, or did you team/group them up?

I'm wondering how much of the supplies I'll need.

• mirokii
  • Super Waygook

• August 24, 2013, 09:49:32 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:52 pm »
I did one bag per student. I had 20 1st grade middle schoolers. get heavy duty bags. My bags leaked when they were shaking the ice and it got really messy. Additionally, make sure you have gloves or something to hold the bag when shaking the ice, it gets really cold. Lastly, my recipe must have been a little off, but I think it was the lack of enough salt to make it cold enough to freeze. Only 5 out of my 20 students came out with ice cream haha... the rest were just cold milk. #fail. Fun tho. The 5 successful students' ice cream was delicious.
-kimsungil

• s.phieros
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2014, 08:58:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:23 am »
I had my kids making ice-cream in their summer camp this year.  I'm at an all boys middle school and they absolutely loved it.  Hell, they're still talking about it.  I was on a serious budget and a lot of the things I bought for my camp was from my pocket, so I had them do it in teams of 3, I doubled the "recipe" and they had such a blast. 
The nice thing about them working in teams is that you have them talking to each other.  Mine were telling each other how cold it was on their hands ( on that note - give them gloves! It's freezing), how salty the water was if it leaked on their hands, that they must shake faster, harder, slower.  It was a really great Convo lesson in the end. 

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:35:21 am »
Making ice cream with my students again during summer camp this year and the original link no longer works. Here is another link with some directions:

http://overthebigmoon.com/a-camping-treat/

*Note that using rock salt and not regular salt is key. Regular salt doesn't work so well.

I attached a quick .ppt file I made to show the students how to make the ice cream.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:08:02 pm by Schellib39 »

• andyrich007
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
    • Anyang, S. Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:46 pm »
I want to do this for my camp. Where did you get the rock salt? how many bags did you use? Wna what type of bags did you use (ziplock bags or ...)?

I have 3 camps I am running this summer- 30 students in one, 10-12 in another, and 15 for the last one. I will divide each camp into groups so I will end up with 13 groups. I am wondering if I should have each student do it by themselves or have 2 bags per group. What do you think? It's a lot of money and my budget is not soo big still gotta buy other materials for the camp.

FYI thanks for the link and ppt!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »
Hi I know your question wasn't directed at me but I'm going to make ice cream with my students (middle school girls, 1st and 2nd grade, there will be approx 20 students) and I tested the method.

I got the salt from Daiso (it was labelled as 'fine salt' but it wasn't that fine and it worked) but you can also get coarse salt from Emart; a 1kg bag is about 3000w I think?

Small quart ziplock bags also from Daiso; I def recommend double bagging the little bags. Gallon size Ziplock bags from Emart, around 2,500w for 8 bags.

I used a full kilo of ice for my test, lol. You can get 2.5kg bags of ice in Emart for 2,680w.

In terms of portion, I'm just going to have 2 students for each mixture; the one bag serving I made could have easily served 2 students (just a small portion mind you, but hey, thinking of the budget here...).

PM me if you need any other help.

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »
Hi I know your question wasn't directed at me but I'm going to make ice cream with my students (middle school girls, 1st and 2nd grade, there will be approx 20 students) and I tested the method.

I got the salt from Daiso (it was labelled as 'fine salt' but it wasn't that fine and it worked) but you can also get coarse salt from Emart; a 1kg bag is about 3000w I think?

Small quart ziplock bags also from Daiso; I def recommend double bagging the little bags. Gallon size Ziplock bags from Emart, around 2,500w for 8 bags.

I used a full kilo of ice for my test, lol. You can get 2.5kg bags of ice in Emart for 2,680w.

In terms of portion, I'm just going to have 2 students for each mixture; the one bag serving I made could have easily served 2 students (just a small portion mind you, but hey, thinking of the budget here...).

Thanks for the reply.

The fine slat definitely didn't work for me, so the coarser it is the better. Also as far as the Ziploc Bags go, it's worth spending the money to get the ones that have the zipper closing mechanism on top. Sure they're a bit more money, but well worth avoiding the headaches that come along with all the ingredients all over the place when a cheap Ziploc bag bursts open when students are shaking their bags. May also have some gloves for the students to wear as the ice and salt gets extremely cold on the hands while shaking.

• andyrich007
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
    • Anyang, S. Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 02:26:21 pm »

Thank you the_test for the info! This helps me sooo much! I am getting the materials to try it next week before camp. I just want to make sure I am ready for what might happen (messy and salt not working).

I am teaching all middle school grades (1-3) and 4th/5th grade elementary so I have to figure out how long it will take for each group and how much to get.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:00 am »
I'm gonna bump this because I did it yesterday and it worked extremely well.

I did it with my Middle School (first grade!) after school class. I used 300ml flavored milk, 2tbsp sugar, 500g (ish) ice, 6tbsp rock salt. (This gave us plenty of ice cream....enough for 3-4 students). The bags I used weren't the actual zipper ones and it worked fine. I double bagged and I taped the top of the small bag shut. I made sure there was no extra air in the small bag also. We had a lot of fun!. I did it like a science experiment. I went through the method and gave them the important words first. I helped them at each stage to ensure it went smoothly.  The ice cream was quite soft but definitely ice cream (the banana flavor was DELICIOUS too!).

Surprisingly, the only real mess that was made....was actually made by me...(I moved the used bag forgetting that we had cut a hole in the corner to serve it haha banana milk everywhere! ).

I wish I could do it again! aha