Read 1998 times

• teach1
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 09:12:52 am
    • Seoul
Schools sending money to home bank
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:32 am »
I've asked my school to send my final paycheck and stuff to my Canadian bank account because I won't be in the country
on the last few days of my contract.

My co-teacher told me that they're not sure if they can do it because they're unsure how to exchange the money into Canadian
dollars.

I've been sending money home this entire time and it (obviously) exchanges automatically when it's put into my account.

My other friends have had their co-teachers say the same thing.

Am I missing something here or are they just confused?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
Re: Schools sending money to home bank
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:02:25 pm »
I've asked my school to send my final paycheck and stuff to my Canadian bank account because I won't be in the country
on the last few days of my contract.

My co-teacher told me that they're not sure if they can do it because they're unsure how to exchange the money into Canadian
dollars.

I've been sending money home this entire time and it (obviously) exchanges automatically when it's put into my account.

My other friends have had their co-teachers say the same thing.

Am I missing something here or are they just confused?

It's their first time doing it so they're just confused.  They'll realize it's an automatic process once they get/read the instructions from the MOE/POE.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• teach1
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »
Thanks! That's what I thought. Who knows if/when she will get such a document, but hopefully they will believe me.

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:52:44 am »
It might just be that they don't want to do it. I know my school are willing to do it for the deposit because it's expected, but they're not willing to do it for the final payment.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:04 am »
If all else, just open an auto-remittance account at a place like KEB for them to put it in, and the money will immediately bounce back to your home account.

• teach1
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:31:35 am »
If all else, just open an auto-remittance account at a place like KEB for them to put it in, and the money will immediately bounce back to your home account.

Yes! Definitely. I already actually have this account and have been using it to transfer money home. I kind of forgot about it. I told my co-teacher today and she seemed really relieved about it. They were definitely confused so this is probably the best course of action to ensure I get paid.

• CA-SK
  • Adventurer

• January 10, 2011, 08:42:48 am
    • Anseong
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »
I'm kind of having the same problem. First they told me they could deposit my deposit refund into my Korean bank account or if I pay the fees, they would wire it to my account in my home country. I told them not to put it in my Korean account, as that will be closed before I leave. Also, I work for GEPIK who told us (and has been confirmed by my coordinator) that the school is responsible for the wiring/transfer fees. Now my school is saying that they don't know how to do a foreign transfer and want me to open an "international" bank account with Citibank or HSBC. The problem with that is, both of these "international" banks only share the name with the ones back at home (your accounts don't cross over to a foreign country, so I would have to open an account here and then another back at home just to access the money). Also, I would still have to pay the fee to transfer it from my Korean account to my home account, which my school is supposed to be responsible for. They are either REALLY lazy and can't be bothered to call the bank/GEPIK to find out how to do this, or they're really trying to get out of paying the fees! I have a feeling my money is going to end up in Timbuktu or something.... ???