Read 1152 times

• DirkZA
  • Explorer

• May 03, 2019, 09:18:11 am
    • South Korea
High School Winter Camp - I need help!
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:46:57 am »
I am teaching a winter camp for 10 days straight. I've got material for 5 days, but my brain feels numb and at this moment. I cannot think of a single good idea to keep the students busy for another 10 hours. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: High School Winter Camp - I need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:57:42 am »
So your camp is 2 hours per day? Count yourself lucky. My camp is two weeks, three hours per day.

Camps are the most unfortunate aspect of this job by far. Well, that and 회식.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 01:17:59 pm »
What kind of high school?  Technical?  Or Academic?  Two 50 minutes together?  Break time?

Was there a theme for your other classes or were they just individual ones?

• DirkZA
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:11 pm »
What kind of high school?  Technical?  Or Academic?  Two 50 minutes together?  Break time?

Was there a theme for your other classes or were they just individual ones?

It's an academic high school, with two 50 minute lessons together. I did a "Travel the World" lesson for the first week of the camp. It's all linked together and flows quite nicely(I think and hope). I am just numb in the head at the moment. I can't seem to think of something fun or creative.  I've been checking other threads, but haven't found anything to my liking. The level of my 2nd grade isn't that great, as I teach in a rural area.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 03:30:42 pm »
Fellow high school teacher here! (Mine's technical, though.) My last couple of camps, I've done a movie-based camp just to find a theme I liked. For my summer camp, I did fairy tales (I had done storytelling during the semester), and we watched "Into the Woods" to tie the stories together. There was a daily mini-quiz on what we had done, and a fun game of Kahoot! at the end of the camp. Altogether, it was an 8-hour camp (4 2-hour days) but I had enough material for more than the time we had together.
Maybe a movie or book-based camp would be fun. The hard part is finding something the students won't immediately "노 잼" and check out for.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 04:14:45 pm »
I usually do fairly individual classes for my high classes in the holidays, so each day is something a bit different.  I found that sometimes you can, with minimal fuss, use an icebreaker and extend it for the whole class. 

Something like 'Evidence' 증거.  As an example, on the board write 'It must be winter', then illicit from the students what is the evidence it is winter.  They could come up with 'It's snowing' 'It's cold' 'It is Christmas' or simple things like that.  Then give them a paper with...

1._________________ ___________________ ___
Evidence.__________ ___________________ __

and then 2 and so on.  You can write down some different sentences like 'He must be from America' 'There is a party at that house' 'She loves reading' and then get the students to write one setence and then you can go through each one individually.  Depending on how long you could do about 8 and that's one whole class done.  You can even put some funny sentences in.

Important Numbers to Me

This is in the same vein.  As an example write a number important to you.  I usually use '16' and then ask them why it is important.  As it's my birthday, it's easy for low level students.  Then make a paper that is like this...

1. Name____________     Number ______________   Why is it important?___________________ ___________________ ________________
2. Name____________     Number ______________   Why is it important?___________________ ___________________ ________________

Tell them to not make it too easy, but something that can explain in English.  Then go around the room and get all the students to tell you their number so on their paper they have all the students in the class and their important number.  Then give the time to try and guess why it is important.  Then you can do all the feedback on the board.

Like I said, I found it easier with classes like this to do individual classes because it keeps the kids more interested. 

There is also a world school lunches class that I've done a lot.  On this site here...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/school-lunches-around-the-world_n_6746164

Somebody has put these photos of lots of different country's school food which you can download and print.  I pre-teach some blocking words, like pomegranate and some others.  Give out a handout to the students where the students write the country name, what they eat (they have to write five things), what the student likes about it, what they don't like, if they would like to eat it everyday.  The students get a picture and fill out the details, and then you swap the pictures around so the students do about five different countries.  Monitor which students did which picture which helps you pick students if they're a little shy volunteering.  Then on the tv/screen go through the pictures asking them what country, what they eat, like/dislike and eat everyday.  Do for all the pictures. 

• DirkZA
  • Explorer

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 11:25:43 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Might work to do some individual lesson. Otherwise, it might just feel dragged out and boring. Will do a sort of debate for a day or two. My co-t wants me to do a lesson for an hour and then play Jeopardy for the next one, so that actually helps a lot! Most kids don't want to come to camp, so we should try extra hard to make it fun for them when they actually do show up.