Read 55317 times

Re: Pirate Summer Camp
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2012, 01:47:45 pm »

We watched this Mr Bean episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JhTyxdUs0

Anyone know of another link for this clip? Or even the name of the episode so I can have a dig around for it.

• ka-eel
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2011, 03:08:22 am
    • Korea
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2012, 11:26:42 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7mpWT2vcRA

It's this one... It's called 'Treasure'.

• ka-eel
  • Adventurer

• January 05, 2011, 03:08:22 am
    • Korea
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:03 am »
Honestly this is my camp specific... It's probably not that useful... oh well!

• fofodani
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2010, 10:33:53 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:17 am »
I've used this battleship computer game on my smartboard. Might go well with this camp. Kids roll one of those big fluffy dice, each number is assigned a question word (how, who, when, etc), they throw the die to someone on the other team, and then ask them a question. If they can't answer within a certain time, then the other team has a chance to fire on the enemy ships. I tell them to leave the two bottom rows free of ships, so if they do answer the question, I can click a square on one of the bottom rows and call it a miss.

http://westbyte.com/seawar/

download it here, or search for "seawar". the demo version works fine for class.

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »
Hey, guys.

First of all, I did a pirates camp last year at my other school and it went really well. You all have such great materials. I LOVE the main pirates ppt someone made early on and decided to make my own game combining it with a countries and geography lesson.

My CT really wanted to do geography and countries and I wanted to do pirates so we compromised and combined them.

I will set up 20 manila envelopes and print up copies for each team. Country stations will be distributed throughout the school. Each team will have to retrieve ONE per station. I will make it VERY clear to them right at the beginning they are NOT to take other teams country sheets or they will be deducted points.

The left side of these will be used in conjunction with the James Bond countries and symbols game I made a while back, which you can find here:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,40045.msg372651.html#msg372651

That lesson will be Part 2 of camp that day. Part 1 will consist of me having them come back to class after "sailing around the world" and cutting up the RIGHT sides of their sheets and match all of the pictures and vocabulary words.

For the Part 3 of this lesson we are going to do a tug of war. I came up with this idea because pirates use rope a lot on ships. Teams of 3 will compete with each other and the first person over the line means that team loses that round and the losers have to answer English questions about either landmarks/countries or pirate vocabulary. I will use the same printouts for that activity.

Enjoy.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

• carlyn182
  • Waygookin

• October 31, 2013, 08:02:25 am
    • Incheon
3rd and 4th grade pirate camp
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:26 am »
I used lots of resources that I found on here -thanks everyone- and made a really simple 5 day Pirate camp for 3rd and 4th grade. It was only 2 periods a day as I did 3rd and 4th grade first 2 periods, then 5th and 6th grade second two periods.

Day 1 is a simple introductory PPT about pirates, what they look like, how they talk etc. Then instructions on choosing a pirate name and making a pirate profile.

Day 2 is a PPT introducing pirate vocabulary, a blazing pens game and instructions on how to make a pirate hat.

Day 3 is a role play activity followed by a treasure hunt. I used a template from here and edited the clues to reflect my school. I went in early and put the clues all over the school. There were 5 pirate crews, each had different clues to find, but every team's final clue directed them to my desk where I put a big gold treasure chest (cardboard box covered with gold wrapping paper) filled with candy and stickers. First team to find it get's it.  This was by far their favourite day and they kept asking to do it again but it was a lot of work, hiding the clues alone took me about an hour of running up and down stairs!

Day 4- A PPT stolen from someone else with gives instructions to make peanut butter cannon balls. I used this because required cooking facilities are minimal, just a microwave and a fridge. It was also a big success, kids loved it. But it was messy, if you have a co teacher there I imagine it would be a lot easier, at least cleaning up would be!

Day 5- A review game based on the pirate vocabulary, language etc. Then I did an awards ceremony, gave them all certificates and a sandwich bag of candy and we watched Peter Pan.

Thanks to everyone who posted the original materials and hopefully someone can get some use out of my week long camp. It was really straightforward to run and the kids loved it. I've attached the lesson plan I had to hand in to my school as well in case anyone is looking to save some time typing that out!

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:04 am »
Great materials, @carlyn182  how ho I get the wheel to spin in the Luck Wheel game?

Using office 2010.

20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:14 am »
Thanks for all the ideas and materials everyone - made my life a hell of a lot easier.

I wanted to do a scavenger hunt with my 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders so I made different coloured treasure map puzzles, one for each team. (As their English isn't good enough for reading / deciphering any clues). Laminate and cut the puzzles.

I'll hide the puzzle pieces in various rooms around the school, and tell them which rooms to look in. Each puzzle has 30 pieces, and they are not to touch / move any other teams' pieces (unless they want to walk the plank, yarr).

Once their treasure map puzzle is finished, they can get a bag of chocolate coins or a high five or something. Hoping this should be good fun for them, and ought to keep them busy for a while  :evil:
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• greenmind
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2014, 01:43:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »
Here's the materials I used for my three day summer camp this year called One Piece Pirates Camp! I'm including the lesson plan I made but we didn't have time to get to a lot of those things so I never made materials for them.

The One piece adventure story is the one created by stemarty at this link: http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,82631.0.html My students really liked it but both parts took around 120 minutes bc my students are so low level.

The treasure hunt activity had ten envelopes for each team. Inside each envelope there was a code, a clue, and a piece of a map of the school. They were supposed to find all ten envelopes and put together each piece of the map to find where I hid a giant bag of candy and each group had a different map with a different location for the candy. I'll include the treasure hunt codes and clues but you'll probably have to change most of the locations and to decipher the codes just highlight and switch the font to times new roman. I put the first clue or clue 0 under the captain's chairs and the 10th envelope was just the last piece of the school treasure map.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:18:04 pm by greenmind »

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »
I'm adapting my pirate lesson for one full day of summer camp for my middle school students.  I made a worksheet.  Students can fill out the worksheets with their partner and perform the role play.  They love performing role plays if you offer them candy.  I've copied below what is on the powerpoint slide and what is on the worksheet.

On the worksheet:

INTERVIEW YOUR PARTNER!
(a) Hi _________________. How are you?
(b) Hi _________________. Iím ______________. 
Do you want to steal something with me?
(a) I donít know.  What do you want to steal and why?
(b) I want to steal _________________ because _______________________________.
(a) When should we commit the robbery?
(b) We should commit the robbery at night because __________________________.
(a) Who or where should we steal from?
(b) We should steal from ______________________. Do you want to do it with me?
(a) I have to think about it.
(b) Why?
(a) ____________________________________________.

On the powerpoint slide:

INTERVIEW YOUR PARTNER!
(a) Hi _________________. (your partnerís pirate name) How are you?
(b) Hi _________________. (your pirate name) Iím ______________.  (feeling)
Do you want to steal something with me?
(a) I donít know.  What do you want to steal and why?
(b) I want to steal _________________ because _______________________________.
(a) When should we commit the robbery?
(b) We should commit the robbery at night because __________________________. (no one can see us/everybody is sleeping)
(a) Who or where should we steal from?
(b) We should steal from ______________________. (the bank, the supermarket, your teacherís name, another studentís name) Do you want to do it with me?
(a) I have to think about it.
(b) Why?
(a) ____________________________________________. (We could be sent to prison./ We could get in big trouble. / He or She might be very mad. / We might die.)

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »
I'm nearly done making a pirate ppt game - will post it sometime this weekend. 

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2016, 11:08:04 am »
This is all the powerpoint material I used for my one day middle school pirate camp.  It went quite well.  I was pleased.  This is intended for a three hour camp.  I have two week camps and I choose different themes for each day.  They loved the games.  In the main powerpoint there is a dialogue entitled "Interview with Captain Patch." I used it as a puzzle dialogue and gave them hints with the images and a hangman game.  I didn't get them to do the role play because I wanted to fit in all of the activities and do that worksheet that I posted on July 1st.  The students really enjoyed the Mr. Bean treasure hunt cartoon, which I played for the last ten minutes of class.

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »
This is a game I made for my pirate camp.  Students must give directions to guide a ship to the treasure.  There are obstacles in the water, so students must try to avoid them.  Can be played as a memory game or just simply that if a team/student runs into an obstacle, another team/student takes over guiding the ship.