Read 55189 times

Re: Pirate Summer Camp
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
Here is a Pirates of the Caribbean themed lucky wheel game. Thanks to RufusW for the original template which I have restyled to a pirate design to fit in with this camp. Please note that it is a template for twelve questions only as sometimes I want the game to be fairly quick.

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »
I'm going to be using Jennifer's Mario Bomb game - but I changed up the aesthetics so it's more "Pirate-y" It's going to be played on the last day for review.

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »
@rookiewaygook, thank you so much for your hard work. It's fantastic: nice story and attractive presentation. I changed the vocab and grammar to make it suitable for my lower-level students. I've attached my versions (one English only, and one with some Korean) which might be good for both elementary and low-level middle school students. 

Also attached is a "story vocab" ppt and a "lucky wheel" game to practice vocabulary from the story. (vocab: pirate, captain, treasure, find, hide, take, leave, attack, help, sail)

Thank you for your tranlations! I hope I could be of help. :)

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »
Here is a battleship game based on the pirate theme. Gets the students to do a lot speaking and helps them learn the pirate vocabulary: ' Does Captain Hook ...have an eye patch?', 'Does Black Skull... have a parrot?' etc .

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 10:07:30 pm »
I like to have a little story behind my treasure hunts.

Blackbeard's Treasure

Four pirated from Blackbeard's clan hid a treasure, but they died when Blackbeard double-crossed his crew and caused the Queen Anne's Revenge to sink. The location of the treasure is still a mystery, Now each team must find the treasure on behalf of their ancestor before the other families do!. Each team has only their piece of the map. They must find copies of the other four, and then solve the clue to find the treasure.

Gather parts of a treasure map to reveal a rebus (word picture puzzle) puzzle. Solve the puzzle to find the location of the treasure.

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 12:15:21 am »
Thanks, using some of these quality worksheets for my pirate camp.

• ungit2610
  • Explorer

• May 17, 2011, 08:01:50 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:19 am »
Advice needed regarding age ratings and showing movies to students.

What do people think about showing the Pirates of the Caribbean movie (with subtitles) to elementary school students? It's has a PG13 rating. Do you think it would be appropriate to show to grade 4 - 6 students (Western age 9-12)? They are under 13 of course, but is it OK with me, an adult with them (even though it's not strictly parental guidance)? Can a native teacher's guidance act in place of parental guidance?

I don't think POTC is That intense, but to be on the safe side you could double-check with your co-teacher(s). Also, from what I've observed, Korean parents tend to be more lax in what they allow their children to watch. However, another option would be to show a different pirate-y movie altogether. There are Lots out there, but some that are kid-appropriate would include Hook, Treasure Island, Muppet Treasure Island, Peter Pan (animated or the newer non-animated one), Hook, or even The Swiss Family Robinson. I don't know if you'd be able to get a copy of them in Korea, but they could be equally worth showing. Hope that helps.

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
Thanks.

Here is a "Pirates of the Caribbean" workbook: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,16751.0.html

• hildydoo
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 01:41:10 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »
I would just like to take a moment to thank you all for your pirate-y goodness! I happened to have an extra lesson, and was scrambling, but thank GOD for Waygook! I used the Mr. Bean video (which my elementary 3rd graders liked a lot!) and the pass the skull game! I will use the Pirate Mario game as well!

I'm basing my entire week on heffneh's pirate ppt's and lesson plans. I'm so grateful to her!!

Though my problem is that I only have 40 minute lessons, whereas I think most of you have multiple hours. It helped when I split up some of the ppt's and edited to suit my kids (they're really low level).

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 06:33:36 pm »
A "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed pass the ball / pass the skull game template. Use a regular ball, or if you wish, you can use an origami skull in keeping with the pirate theme: http://en.origami-club.com/halloween/skull/skull/index.html and http://en.origami-club.com/halloween/skull/anime-skull/index.html 

It includes Pirates of the Caribbean pictures and music. I made this with the intention of using it for the summer camp, but I'm no longer doing a pirate themed camp, so am posting it here in the hope that my effort wasn't wasted and that it'll be useful for other people.

Depending on your version of Office, you may or may not need to download the wav file and save it in the same folder as the PPT.

• kdrama
  • Explorer

• March 31, 2011, 08:31:35 pm
    • korea
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »
 :o

this is an amazing thread. i can't wait to try it out on my MS students!

thanks for everyone's hard work!

• odin002
  • Explorer

• August 23, 2011, 11:01:43 am
    • puan
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:51 am »
We used the scavenger hunt activity for our summer camp, thank you. The students had a great time looking  outside for clues, and we had a peaceful hour without students! My only regret was not adding more items to make it longer.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »
Hi all,

Here are the Pirate Winter Camp materials I prepared. There's enough here for a full week! Worked really well with 5th grade. I got the original materials from icklemonster: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,1601.0.html. But since then, I expanded on them for a weeklong camp. Enjoy!

The very first day I put the class into crews. The crew came up with a pirate ship name and made a ship's flag. They competed in these groups throughout the entire week. My class was kinda small, only 14 students, but we still made it work and they got really into the competition! Shocker :) The last day I gave funny awards and candy to the winning crew.

Wednesday was cooking day, and we made peanut butter cannonballs. If you do this, make sure you get cereal that is extremely small, like Rice Crispes small. Otherwise rolling the mix into balls didn't work that well- but everyone still had fun making them.

On the Day 1 PPT (Day 1 Action), I used some of the bilingual vocab slides for a standalone pirate lesson in sentence combining.  My students said the Korean for 'capture' wasn't quite the right word, and a co-teacher told me that the word used for maroon is for the color, not the verb.  So just double-check these translations with a co-teacher before showing it to your classes. :)  I really enjoyed the materials otherwise.  It certainly held the students' attention!

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:05 am »
Well I have been informed that I have a two week winter camp 4 hrs a day with 3 seperate classes all low level kids. I was racking my brains and thought well I did a Harry potter theme for summer why not do Pirates!!!
So I will do a Pirate/Around the world theme..cos well Pirates travel dont they!

I want to take the time to say thank you everyone for contributing to this thread!! You have sved my arse in so many ways. Once I start making docs and tweaking PPTs to serve my purposes I will most definitely and gladly post them on this board.

Once again, thank you all SO much!!!!

• minnekow
  • Explorer

• May 25, 2011, 02:52:02 am
    • United States
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:33 am »
I've been scowering the internet for Pirate themed lesson plans! Thank you soo much. I don't know why I didn't look here first!

• cfile2
  • Newgookin

• June 01, 2011, 10:35:51 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »
I use this pirate themed game sometimes. You can replace the photos and target sentences and gear them towards whatever lesson you're teaching.

• nholden
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 07:07:29 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »
Really enjoyed using all your ideas as inspiration. This is a booklet that we used during our Treasure Island Camp this year. I printed the alphabet booklet separately, but then bound it together with the other booklet. We didn't do all the activities in the book with the the children. Our camp was 3 weeks. We used the same theme for each week, but had different grades over the 3 weeks.

On the first day we divided the children into "crews" red sea, blue sea etc. The names of teams we copied onto coloured paper and stamps were awarded at the end of each task. The crew with the most stamps at the end of the camp was rewarded with a special prize.

This is a broad outline of our camp:
Day 1: Introducing ourselves, choosing an English/pirate name. Sorting into crews. Talking like a pirate. Introductions - Who am I. Making a pirate hat.

Day 2: Pirate alpahabet, vocab games. colours and shapes. Making a pirate flag - each crew made a their own Jolly Roger and then presented to us. We gave each group an A1 poster sized card, markers, pirate stencils and different pieces of coloured cardboard.

Day 3: My family - vocab games, drawing my family and sharing. Peter Pan (see ppt attached) and then Peter Pan roleplay. Learners got time to practice each day and presented their plays on the last day. Body parts - Jumping Jack pirate.

Day 4: Pirate alphabet scavenger hunt. My CT and I copied the letters of the alphabet onto coloured paper. Each team had a set of 26 letters in their own colour. We then hid it around the school before the start of camp. The learners had to find all 26 cards, arrange them in alphabetical order and then depending on the grade of the students had to either give us a pirate word, write it down or use it in a sentence.
We also made a pirate craft on this day. Pirate telescopes (with the younger students) and tie-dye pirate bandanas (with the older students).

Day 5: Practice and present Peter Pan roleplays. Pirate Treasure Maps. Students first had to design their own  "Tortilla Treasure Map" in their booklets. The sea, was the tomato sauce (or salsa), The cheese  was the island. The pretzel was the bark of the , green pepper the leaves, red pepper/tomato was used to create the "X-marks the spot" and then the ham/sausage/ olives were used as mountains, a trail or whatever the children wanted. I will upload a pic of the what the finished product looked like shortly. When all that was finished and they had tidied up, we watched the movie Peter Pan.

Hope this helps. Almost time to start thinking about Winter Camp!

• Valiant
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2011, 04:06:43 pm
    • Ansan
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »
Thanks for starting this and sharing all of your hard work.
Here is a link to the full version of Mr. Bean Treasure animation.
11mins long.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKOPcxDz-3o&NR=1

• Sunny_D
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2011, 09:47:32 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »
Here are the lesson plans and materials for a 3 day Pirate camp (5th and 6th grade). I'll upload the powerpoints when they're finished!

Re: Pirate Winter Camp
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 10:54:57 am »
These are all really great ideas!!! Thank you so much.
 I am doing similar things for my 2 week winter camp.
One day I have crafts where we will make 1) Pirate puppets  Found here
 http://funschool.kaboose.com/time-warp/pirates/crafts/popsicle-stick-pirate-puppets.html

And another that I am going to do is a 2 day kinda one. Each Students will pick a small treasure from my "Bag of Arrrrr" and not show anyone ( cos it will be wrapped up in foil)
Then they will make secret stones.
You will need
1 c flour
1/2 c cold coffee
1 c coffee grounds ( used)
1/2 c salt.
Measure all of the ingredients and mix well. If it's too sticky add more flour. Knead till smooth and then form into a ball, place the treasure in the middle squish it altogether and form a stone like shape. Then they have to let them dry overnight. I guess perfect to do the day before a treasure hunt!!