Read 1643 times

Looking for the easiest, laziest, no/low prep lessons possible
« on: December 29, 2021, 03:11:04 pm »
I teach at an elementary school where I see each class four or five times a week. The school has really been working me to the bone. Next week I have to give all my students a written, oral and reading test. Generally after testing I can take it easy but, today I was told that after the tests I will be given a new schedule and I will need to prepare "interesting lessons". I am not allowed to use material from the textbooks and I cannot play videos. After preparing over 80 lessons per class I am out of ideas. I need to come up with about 10 classes worth of material. I am looking for something with very little preparation because I also have to correct 200 written tests and write out 200 report cards during this time as well. Any suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 03:26:12 pm by johnny2shoes »

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
Re: Looking for the easiest, laziest, no/low prep lessons possible
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 04:27:03 pm »
I am not allowed to use material from the textbooks and I cannot play videos. After preparing over 80 lessons per class I am out of ideas. I need to come up with about 10 classes worth of material. I am looking for something with very little preparation because I also have to correct 200 written tests and write out 200 report cards during this time as well. Any suggestions are welcome.

you should have quit long ago.

id suggest just downloading one of the camps that people post over on k o r s h a r e .  there is generally material enough for 2 classes per day for a 10 day camp.  they'd be themed and would likely cover 10 lessons in elementary school time.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:32:57 pm »
you should have quit long ago.

id suggest just downloading one of the camps that people post over on k o r s h a r e .  there is generally material enough for 2 classes per day for a 10 day camp.  they'd be themed and would likely cover 10 lessons in elementary school time.

I am definitely going to explore my employment options. Also I will have at k o r s h a r e, thanks! 

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:35:43 am »
Hello
Not sure if it is for grades 3-6, nor how many in each class but here are a few ideas (and of course you have probably already used some of them)
1) ppt games from  eslintherok  site - hopefully your textbook is one of those - or you can easily custom your lesson

2) Crossword puzzle. – using words for all lessons - Complete the puzzle (worksheet)
And/Or students make your own Crossword puzzle (or wordfind.)

a)   Give students a grid and a list of words
b)   Students to write them horizontally or vertically.  The words should share a letter with other words.

How many words did you use?

2b) Use your wordfind or crossword
1)   Each student to read one of their words.
2)   Everyone find the word on your page and circle it (put a line through it)
3)   After all students have read one word – count how many words you have left.
4)   The winner is the student who has most words left.
5)   How many words did you cross out?  The second winner is the student who crossed out the most words!

3) Speed Talk
Have a dialog on the ppt
1) Practise it together.
2) Speak it with a partner for 1 minute (30 seconds)
3) Move around to the next space and speak with a new partner for 30 seconds.
4) Change again and speak with a 3rd partner.
5) If time move again and speak with a 4th partner.

4) Bingo Game
1) Have different sentences/words visible.
2 Students copy into a bingo board - randomly - as they wish.
3) Go around the room (or randomly choose students) and each student says a word/sentence from their bingo board.
4) If students have the word/phrase they say 'Great', if not they say 'Not so good'.
4) The winner is the student who finishes their board first.
Repeat with a new set of words/sentences.

5) Songwriting - Sing the songs together  (textbook songs - but may be OK - or suggest some other familar tunes - Are you sleeping, Mary had a little lamb, Clementine, twinkle, twinkle little star ....)
1) In your group of 3 or 4, change the words (but same tune) to make a new song.
2) Practise your song (with actions)
3) Show your new song to the class. (Put the words on the screen so the other students can see it and sing it again with the whole class).
4) OR choose the best songs and show the words so the whole class can sing the new song together.

6) Board games - if you use the same textbook for grade 4 Cheonjae with Jello, grade 5 YBM Jordan Vinikoor - I have attached the files - original template from someone else in waygook.  For cards I just used some flashcards from the textbook - doesn't matter what they are. 

7) Another activity – game
1)   Review reading some sentences (ppt)
2)   Secretly write 1 sentence.
3)   Divide the class into 2 teams
4)   1 person come to the front with their sentence. 
5)   Draw a picture for their sentence.
6)   Their group calls out – trying to guess the sentence.
7)   When they are correct, the next person comes to the whiteboard.
8)   DO NOT ERASE THE PICTURES.
9)   When one team has finished – [they are the winning team.] the game is over.
10)   Look at both teams’ pictures and say the sentences for each picture.  1 point for each correct picture.
Round 2
Look in your books from pages 146-183 and find a new secret sentence.
Write the sentence and the page number.
Repeat the activity.
[optional extra – if the team cannot guess the sentence after 1 minute – the student can step down and the next student can come.

8) Starter Scrabble  (board attached below)
1)   Students play in groups of 3-4.
2)   Student 1 chooses a word from the list, reads it in English, then Korean meaning, then use it in a sentence.  Write it on the board – one letter in each square. [Cross out the word you used.  Each word can only be used once.]
3)   Student 2 chooses a word that will connect (has a letter in common with) the previous word (say it in English, Korean, sentence) and write it on the board.
4)   Student 3 chooses a word that has a letter in common with one of the words on the board.  (English, Korean, sentence.  And write it)
5)   Take turns writing a word on the board.
6)   Score one point for each word you write.  If you write a letter on the ‘*’ you get a bonus points. [Only get the bonus point if you use a * that has not already been used.]
OR  Get one point for each letter you write in (double points if the letter is on an ‘*’. This would give higher scores and would encourage students to use the longer words.
7)   Words can be down or across – not diagonal.  Decide before playing if you will allow words to be spelt backwards – personally I would not do this)
Traditionally Crosswords and Scrabble (a game) use uppercase letters.

Good luck

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:06:05 am »
I'm going through my camp materials and found this madlibs activity for grades 4 and 5 (same activity) -
The powerpoint gives some suggestions for filling in the words.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 12:15:04 pm »
I'm going through my camp materials and found this madlibs activity for grades 4 and 5 (same activity) -
The powerpoint gives some suggestions for filling in the words.

My classes are grade 4 and 5. These are all great suggestions. Thanks!

• disabri
  • Newgookin

• November 16, 2022, 02:58:35 pm
    • new york
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 03:01:44 pm »
I teach at an elementary school where I see each class four or five times a week. The school has really been working me to the bone. Next week I have to give all my students a written, oral and reading test. Generally after testing I can take it easy but, today I was told that after the tests I will be given a new schedule and I will need to prepare "interesting lessons". I am not allowed to use material from the textbooks and I cannot play videos. After preparing over 80 lessons per class I am out of ideas. I need to come up with about 10 classes worth of material. I am looking for something with very little preparation because I also have to correct 200 written tests and write out 200 report cards during this time as well. Any suggestions are welcome.
https://www.waygook.org/octordle
Play bingo by having each player call out a word or sentence from their card as you go around the room (or choose students at random).