Read 13377 times

• qtipsq
  • Explorer

• July 01, 2011, 08:25:34 am
    • Gangneung, South Korea
Watch the wonderful short video WORDS by NPR and Everynone.  The video goes over 7 words and over 50 different meanings associated with those words.  The PPT goes through the video step by step.  I usually show my students the video without telling them anything about it the first time.  Than I show it again and ask them to guess 7 words and their themes.  I also ask them to write down anything that comes to their mind with those words.  Sometimes, we have to watch the video three times, depends on the level of your students.  Than we dissect the video together using the PPT.  After we finish, we watch another wonderful video called Re:Words.  The students really enjoy the lesson as they learn a lot of new material and it is interesting.   

The video images are linked to the videos, I hope you enjoy!

-Qasim

• qtipsq
  • Explorer

• Gangneung, South Korea
just realized some one else has already posted a similar lesson! In any case, if you haven't used this as an adult lesson, I would highly recommend it.  Also my lesson has two different videos, that makes it a little bit more interesting.  Re:words is the second video and it is pretty great!

-Qasim

• ginac
  • Waygookin

• March 10, 2010, 10:32:10 am
    • Chungju
Used your "Words"ppt today for a 1 hour lesson with a group fairly high level, company executives. It worked a treat! We spent quite a bit of time coming up with different collocations as we went through the powerpoint. All in all it generated a lot of discussion which they and I were very happy with.  Thank you again. :)

This is really good! Thank you.  :)

• paulstevo
  • Explorer

• August 03, 2010, 07:23:38 pm
    • Siheung-si
Hey I can't get the video to work. Do you have a direct link?

• Brigand
  • Newgookin

• January 06, 2011, 10:17:28 pm
    • South Korea

• sassneggs
  • Adventurer

• December 30, 2010, 04:11:30 pm
    • Icheon, South Korea
WOW!  This was seriously great.  Thank you so much for posting. My teachers loved this lesson.

• qtipsq
  • Explorer

• Gangneung, South Korea
No problem! I am happy that it was an effective lesson for ya!

• Jays
  • Waygookin

• July 13, 2011, 10:34:23 am
    • South Korea
The videos are great.I can create lots of lessons based on them.Thanks

Thank you Qasim-it looks great and I'm looking forward to using it :D

• wehdeas
  • Newgookin

• August 16, 2011, 07:29:19 am
    • Seoul
where do you find the ppt?

• jyu333
  • Explorer

• May 08, 2012, 12:33:56 pm
Thank you so much Qasim for the powerpoint! This video worked great with the adults I was teaching! =)

• wango
  • Waygookin

• September 05, 2011, 03:47:16 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
this is fantastic, thank you!

• meme
  • Newgookin

• June 04, 2012, 12:57:12 pm
    • Incheon
Awesome video! My low-level teachers class should be able to talk through it by the end of the year. Thanks!

Amazing!

Thank you very much for this post!

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
where do you find the ppt?

You have to have at least 5 meaningful posts before you can download anything. The links won't appear until after you have fulfilled the quota of minimum posts!

Great lesson and good idea. I'm using this today and starting off with a quick brainstorm of different homonyms/heterographs. I'm going to add a few more that weren't in the ppt/movie clip from this site:

http://www.cooper.com/alan/homonym_list.html

Bear in mind that this list is titled homonym list but in the strict sense homonyms should be spelled the same and pronounced the same while this list is mostly comprised of heterographs (spelled different, sound same, different meaning).

• fauxe
  • Newgookin

• November 14, 2011, 02:08:59 pm
    • Yangsan
good lesson, i did this a few days ago.

I folllowed it up with a class on Homonyms, Homophones and Homographs, and gave the students a short story written in homophones which they had to translate back into correct English. For example, "Wear will yew bee too night? Can ewe meat me hear at ate o'clock" etc etc

Ill try and post up the file later today or next week. Its on a different computer.

• Vayacongaia
  • Waygookin

• July 04, 2011, 07:35:03 am
    • Seocheon
    more
I showed the original video to my 9th grade class as inspiration for a class project. 
They brainstormed the major words to work from, and came up with some ideas for each one.  Later they figured out how to make smooth transitions.  And one particularly AV capable student edited all together. 
Here's the final product:

https://vimeo.com/43470762

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
good lesson, i did this a few days ago.

I folllowed it up with a class on Homonyms, Homophones and Homographs, and gave the students a short story written in homophones which they had to translate back into correct English. For example, "Wear will yew bee too night? Can ewe meat me hear at ate o'clock" etc etc

Ill try and post up the file later today or next week. Its on a different computer.

On a slightly related note, Wikipedia has a great chart for the different homonyms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonym. The same chart is also on the pages for homographs and homophones.