Read 9293 times

• turtelle
  • Waygookin

• March 10, 2010, 06:58:50 pm
    • South Korea
Anyone ever had money stolen from them in school?
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »
Has anyone ever experienced this? This is the 3rd time it's happened to me in my almost 2 years here! The first time I wasn't here long and wasn't sure the money was actually taken or if I'd spent it! So I didn't say anything to anyone! The second time was around the same time at the same school (a middle school in the country side with a small number of students) a week later and I knew because my co-teacher also had money stolen, only 10,000won, I had about 150,000won give or take! I know it was stupid to have so much in my wallet but I'd been in Seoul at the weekend and had taken out a lump sum and forgotten to leave it out of my wallet! Anyway, that time I complained and because a Korean teacher also had money taken I felt I had more of a chance to get my point across! The next week when I went back to that school (I was only there one day a week as was my co-teacher) I got roughly the same amount as what was taken of my money back in an envelope with no explanation as to where it went to!
Needless to say I learned that lesson the hard way and have always been careful not to leave my bag unattended in school! Today I came home from school (an elementary school in the city with probably over 1,000 students) and only noticed when I went to the ATM that there was about 28,000won missing from my wallet, it was there yesterday and I didn't spend any money in the meantime and the only time my wallet was out of my sight as it was in my school bag in the English classroom would have been when I ran out to the bathroom once or twice during the day between classes! It wasn't unattended at lunch time either as I bring my own lunch to school and eat it in the English room! I really don't want to make a fuss tomorrow but I don't want whoever took it to get away with it or feel my belongings are easy pickings! These are only elementary school students but they should know that it is not okay to do this by now!
Should I say it to my co-teachers tomorrow? I don't want to get the whole "Well you shouldn't have money in your wallet or leave it unattended" response! I know that but I should be able to go to the bathroom without bringing all my things with me! I know I probably won't see the money again but that's not really the point, I feel that they should know about what happened!

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
Re: Anyone ever had money stolen from them in school?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
Tell your co-teacher for sure. At the very least it will make them aware there is a problem.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:44 pm »
You don't have a drawer that you can lock? I'm a guy so I keep my wallet in my pants all the time.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
You don't have a drawer that you can lock? I'm a guy so I keep my wallet in my pants all the time.

Never leave money anywhere outside of your person. Our main office got raided by a "thief" and he/she went through every drawer, locked and unlocked. They think it might have been a professional thief, but we have no idea.

• Spongeblob
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2011, 10:21:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:28 pm »
It's too bad that happened to you but chances are the money is gone.

Tell your coteacher, she/he may even have information about it.  "Little Johnny was flashing a big wad of cash yesterday."

Yep, your gonna hear the line about keeping your wallet safe and ... you should.

You could try to guilt the kids but best to remain sadly stoic to discourage future kleptomaniacs.  You could turn this travesty into a positive learning opportunity for them.  Hahaha. No, I'm only joking.  I've been robbed for a few won too.  Ah well, one out of a thousand or so kids going rotten isn't bad.  Hopefully the little blighter got sick on all the candy they bought.

Anyway best to chalk it up to annoying things and move on.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:36 am »
We had a few infrequent instances of theft at our hagwon then one day my ipod nano got pinched from my desk. Told the head teacher/director and he made his excuses and promised to put CCTV in the teacher's room (which he never did)

A couple of months later found my ipod in a pocket of my backpack that I never use.

Oh well, my mistake.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 06:34:03 am »
Never had money stolen; however, if I leave computer headphones on my desk they 'disappear' (boys middle school).  ::)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• sheedi
  • Veteran

• March 17, 2010, 04:13:11 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:58 am »
Not money because I keep my purse locked up. I know some teachers hide their wallets in their car, but my Crocs were stolen. I was super pissed. >:( because I only had them for 2 weeks. I did not think someone would steal my shoes bc I have big feet. Then I heard a while back someone stole another teachers new pair of heels.  If you have nice shoes, hide them.

Maybe ask your school if there is a place to lock up your belongings to which you alone have access to. I have a desk, with a drawer that I can lock up when I leave the area. I have forgotten a few times to lock, but thankfully nothing was stolen and I don't carry much cash. Definitely tell them about it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:45:16 am by sheedi »

• amandaz
  • Waygookin

• November 17, 2008, 09:05:16 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:36:53 am »
I'm sorry that happened to you, I had my headphones and webcam stolen from my school (I hid them but they still found them) but I never got them back. I would recommend not bringing any money or valuables with you. Also, I hate to say this but your incorrect use of punctuation made your post almost illegible. Using exclamation marks so liberally diminishes their impact.

• turtelle
  • Waygookin

• March 10, 2010, 06:58:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:28 am »
Sorry to irritate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a petty comment though!!!!!! :o Guess it's this text messaging / instant messaging age we live in!!!!!!! The overuse of smilies abbreviations and what not!!!! But I was pretty frustrated writing the post!!!!!!!! If I need your advice on spelling, grammar or punctuation in future I'll ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o  :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:32:12 pm by turtelle »

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:17 am »
i didnt have money stolen, BUT i did have a ipod nano stolen. my ex had bought it for me right before i came here and i had left it on my desk, and attended a teachers meeting. I came back after an hour and it was gone. The school chalked it up as my loss because i didnt lock it in my drawer. Il tell u this, if i EVER saw anyone stealing something from my school, id give them the asswhooping of a lifetime. and when the cops came in, id tell them that i confronted the thief and he attempted to assault me. lol i HATE THIEVES.

(PS TOTALLY not advocating that this is the proper behavior for anyone !)

• aramella
  • Veteran

• September 15, 2010, 12:01:19 pm
    • Pohang, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:41:59 am »
My sunglasses were recently stolen.  Or misplaced.. but I mentioned it to my coteacher.  The same goes for you, you should tell your coteacher.  I doubt my shades will be returned but if I see a student or a teacher wearing a NICE pair of Electric sunglasses its not going to be a happy situation. 

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
About two months ago, I had 120,000원 stolen from my purse.  The previous day, I went into my classroom after lunch and the cleaning students were looking quite suspicious.  The next day was a Friday.  I came back from lunch and one student was all smiles and tried talking to me.  I was like... hmm, that's weird.  However, I figured out why after school.  I went to the vet and had no money to pay my bill. It was all the money I had set aside for the weekend including paying for a very important meeting.  When I got to school the next Monday, I addressed it to my co-teacher and suggested that it was probably one of the cleaning boys because I was in the room before and after my classes for the day.  I pointed a finger towards the one 'unusually social' boy and my co-teacher had a very serious talking to all four boys.  They all said they didn't do it.  My co-teacher kept on with the one boy who said quite convincingly that it was not him.  After two weeks of this, the boy finally confessed. 

This was a huge deal for my school because the teachers don't get their things stolen typically.  We work in a fairly well-off area of town.  His teacher called in both of his parents from work and they had a conference with the principal, VP, head English teacher, discipline teacher, and my co-teacher.  Upon seeing his parents when I was leaving that day, they would not even look at me because they were so ashamed of their son's behavior.  After that, it was decided that he would have to see the disciplinary board at our school for his consequences. (It seemed like he might have to switch schools) However, he was not kicked out of school.  Also, apparently his parents are quite aware that he has a stealing problem since this is not the first time it's happened for him.  One week later, there was an envelope of money waiting for me when I arrived in the office. 

I now never bring large amounts of money to school because I could foresee it happening again. He still cleans my room after being off duty for my room for one month.  If I do bring a lot of money, my purse gets locket in the cabinet with the other teacher's purses. 
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »
Man sorry for everyone's loss.  Some kids would just snatch something off the desk without thinking but the ones that rummage your purse, find the wallet, take money out of the wallet and then put it back has some serious problems. 

I loss a nice bike and 2 pairs of sneakers. 

• jisun
  • Veteran

• June 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm
    • Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »
At my old hagwon, I left my purse in the office (which was supposed to be strictly off-limits to students) while I went to the bathroom.  I returned to find the director's
son pulling money out of my wallet.  When I told the director about it, her response was something along the lines of "Yes, isn't he mischievous and cute?"  I learned
not to leave money unattended, but things from my desk (candy, pencils, etc.) disappeared on at least a weekly basis.  She was so stressed out about students
leaving the school that she ALWAYS took their side--once she even told ME, in front of a class, not to steal from THEM after a girl complained that I had
confiscated her snack.

My current school has several lockable drawers in and around my desk.  But when I asked my co-teacher if I could get a key to any of the drawers, she gave me the
third degree and seemed to think it was ridiculous that I might want a secure place to leave stuff.  She also has a bad habit of saying she'll keep an eye on my purse
when I leave the room for something, and then leaving herself a minute later.

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:55 pm »
I have never had anything stolen from me or my desk/bag at school!  Although one time there was a theft!  Many teachers had cash stolen from
 the teachers' room!  And guess what!  It was a teacher who stole it!  I was very surprised (firstly, that it happened, and secondly, that it was a teacher)!

• Jyang486
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 12:07:51 pm
    • Boryeong, Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »
I have never had anything stolen from me or my desk/bag at school!  Although one time there was a theft!  Many teachers had cash stolen from
 the teachers' room!  And guess what!  It was a teacher who stole it!  I was very surprised (firstly, that it happened, and secondly, that it was a teacher)!

LOL @ the exclamation marks.  I don't have much issues with theft at my school.  One student, one of my second grade girls, actually went into the office and found the bag of candy I usually hand out if they're good and took some and gave it out to her classmates.  I really don't think that's an issue of theft as much as they feel I'm more of a friend than a teacher so they don't know better.  Another time, one of my 5th grade girls, took my wallet out of my jacket that I left on my chair in the office, but only to see my American driver's license (because I won't tell her my age since she's been trying to hook me up with her aunt who's a college student).  I sternly told them both not to do it again and it hasn't happened since.

• Adamski
  • Adventurer

• January 31, 2011, 10:44:21 am
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:00:19 pm »
i got done out of 100k once. i couldnt work out whether it was at school (i left my wallet in my desk drawer in the teacher's office) or at my gym (i left it in a locker but suspect a guy who worked there might have got into it).

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:01:39 am »
I've never had cash stolen from me at school, although it did happen to one of my former co-teachers at my old school. However, I have had other things stolen from me at school -- an umbrella, pens, candy...not expensive/valuable things, but it was still annoying nonethless.

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »
why do you leave your wallet around when your not there anyway? just put it in your pocket ... that sshould stop it hppenin again

probably your coteacher