Read 5344 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Can someone kindly outline for me the benefits of the F-2 visa (married to a Korean). Is it all it's cracked up to be? Do we still need criminal record checks, our degrees apostilled etc? Are the benefits set in stone, or do the rules for F-2 visa holders keep changing (negatively) the way the rules for E-2 visas are?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Horus
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:22:49 pm by Horus »

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Re: Seeking information on the benefits (or otherwise) of an F-2 visa.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »
What about when working at a university?

• dasdabass
  • Newgookin

• June 13, 2011, 10:59:36 am
    • Seoul, SK
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 06:13:49 pm »
Actually I think universities prefer F-2's, I know several... actually more than several... not only does the university not have to deal with sponsorship issues, I think they feel that you will be more consistent and responsible because 1. you're married and 2. being married to a Korean shows that you are invested and won't just take off at a moment's notice.  Hope this helps!

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:31:32 pm »
What are you asking, exactly?  Are you asking about F visa requirements for working at a ps, a  hagwon, or a university?  Or are you asking about the requirements for getting a F2 visa? As for the F visa requirements for being married to a Korean national, you need to have your Korean spouse call the Immigration office in your area and find out what the requirements are.  Your Korean spouse will probably have to fill out more paperwork than you will since they will be your sponsor.  The Korean Immigration website will also be helpful, but it seems better to call.  AFEK has information on the F visas, but K Immigration is your best source as they issue the regulations. 

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »
The spousal visa has recently changed to F-6. The F-2 is available via the points system.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• Summer
  • Veteran

• April 24, 2011, 11:53:13 am
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
Hi, I'll be getting my spousal visa soon.

I am a little confused about signing a contract on an F visa. I was under the impression that I could quit a job quite easily if I am under an F visa. I know that E2s would have to quickly find a job and switch or go to a D10 and back to an E2 or something so that is an advantage, yes... but what if I sign a hagwon contract, for example, and decide to quit and get another job? I would have to pay the same penalties as an E2 holder who signed an identical contract, right?

I applied for some jobs recently, and they all still asked for a criminal record check despite the fact that I stated that I will have an F visa before I start working at their company.

At the moment I really see very few benefits to having a F visa...
Did you know that eco-friendly can be budget-friendly?

Use my gift code NOQ158 to get $10 off $40 or more; or take $5 orders totaling less than $40.

Choose from 35,000+ healthy and "green" products (grocery items, beauty and cosmetics, and more). Visit iHerb.com today!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:14:05 pm »
Hi, I'll be getting my spousal visa soon.

I am a little confused about signing a contract on an F visa. I was under the impression that I could quit a job quite easily if I am under an F visa. I know that E2s would have to quickly find a job and switch or go to a D10 and back to an E2 or something so that is an advantage, yes... but what if I sign a hagwon contract, for example, and decide to quit and get another job? I would have to pay the same penalties as an E2 holder who signed an identical contract, right?

I applied for some jobs recently, and they all still asked for a criminal record check despite the fact that I stated that I will have an F visa before I start working at their company.

Why would you want to sign a full time contract with a hagwan on a married visa? They are strictly for E2 newbies. Unless you got married somewhere else, have just arrived in the country, have no experience of TEFL, and no TEFL qualifications, you should be able to do better. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:13 am »

Yeah, a lot (if not, most) English teaching jobs in Korea will still ask for/require you to submit a criminal background check, even if you are on an F-visa -- that has been my experience as well. Also, public school English teaching jobs (e.g., EPIK, GEPIK, etc.) will definitely require a criminal background check, regardless of your visa status. And yeah, I basically felt the same way you did after I switched to an F-visa.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:32:13 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 08:25:42 pm »
I'm on a marriage visa (F6). I was under contract with a public school when I got married and got the visa.

It allowed me to quit my job (well, I just didn't re-sign) to look for better work. I wanted to work somewhere else, but there were no positions available. As I was free to do whatever I wanted (i.e. I didn't need to find a job immerdiately) I was able to intern there and eventually landed the job. I'd imagine that would have been impossible had I not been on an F6 visa