Read 5752 times

• curds
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2011, 01:48:57 pm
    • south africa
Confused and in need of help with applying to PS
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:53 pm »
Okay, so yes this is another recruiter/epik topic, however I wasn't satisfied by the search results as it seems to me each website I go onto just confuses me more.

Now this is what I believe to be fact.

EPIK is not limited to a province in SK and it frowns on applicants going through multiple recruiters for an EPIK position. Its currently closed, but might open in September due to applicants failing to obtain the necessary visa documents in time.

IMOE, recruits for Incheon.

SMOE, recruits for Seoul and requires a tefl course.

Hagwons hire all year round, but it doesn't offer job security and you might be exploited and even experience some verbal/emotional abuse. This is not a rule, but there's enough stories out there for it to be a real threat.

Now on spending some time researching recruiters and other ESL websites I stumbled across the following,

"What happens if I fail my EPIK interview? Can I apply again?

Usually not. Once you fail, you are failed. There is no going back for another shot 6 months down the track. They will keep your name on file and if it comes up again, they will simply inform you that you will not be interviewed.

Kinda makes you want to have a good first interview huh?"

Now, I was led to believe by one recruiter that EPIK will be opening a limited amount of positions in September, if I go for it and I was rejected due to, too many applicants to pick from and I was simply not part of the top 30 for whatever reason. Will I then be disqualified from EPIK for any other intake?

I applied through IEPIC and was rejected, I didn't even receive an interview! I suspect it was due to a health reason on my partners application as the recruiter called him to say its not looking good, but my application is fine. In the last email we got from him, he said he can't help us and thus I (we) don't really have a recruiter at the moment. I've just been responding to some posts on ESL cafe.

Some background information on me is that I'm a B.A graduated from an accredited S.A University, with majors in Linguistics and Psychology.I'm also currently working as a Student counsellor. Another note about the IEPIC is they didn't even request my reference letters. My boss is excited for my possible departure, she even asked her nephew to look for some good hagwons for me, so I know my references are good.

Please help us,
CJ
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:13:07 pm by curds »

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
Re: Recruiter Limbo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:04:31 am »
Hey,

also a follow up question I was on the SMOE site now and it seems to be open for Applications, I didn't really want to spend the money on a TEFL course and be stuck with an almost nonexistent budget for the first month. If need be however I'm prepared to do an on-line course, I was just wondering if that carries any weight?

Also to do those of you who will be replying to this post, can you tell me some nice recruiters that you went to? I know the four big ones namely Korvia, Footprints recruiting, Korean horizons and Canadian Connection, I'm looking for a smaller company that will do more than just tell me what I already know.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend :P ;)

• adlez
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2010, 10:24:15 am
    • Suwon
Re: Recruiter Limbo
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 06:49:54 am »
eztell@naver.com
Send Jane an e-mail..she is a recruiter I used twice already.

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
Re: Confused and in need of help with applying to PS
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
Hey,

Thanks I will email during the week, do you perhaps have a website for me?

Thanks

• leabea87
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 01:36:05 pm
    • Gyeongsan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:39:25 pm »
1. If you fail your interview with EPIK, you're screwed! They most likely have thousands of applications to sort through per intake. I highly doubt they would take a chance on you when they have countless other individuals to choose from. This is of course assuming that the other candidates interview well. Likewise, you may find it hard to secure  a position with SMOE because they have a really good relationship with EPIK. I wouldn't be surprised if they compared notes every now and then.

2. What is IEPIC?

3. Your biggest mistake was applying with someone who disclosed a health issue on their application. I am a very honest person and advising someone to be dishonest kills me. But if you are looking on securing a teaching position anywhere in Korea, never ever disclose health conditions. If they could potentially interfere with your ability to perform your duties, then you need not come. Koreans are very much hypochondriacs about a lot of things. Health conditions being one of them. I would advise you to sit down and think long and hard about this one.

4. You must know that you're cutting it close for the September deadline. You may just want to consider waiting until February to come. It'll be the start of the new school year. And you don't have to worry about coming mid-way into it. It's hard to try not to teach lessons that have already been taught.

Good luck!

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:14:43 pm »
@ Lea,

I know i'm cutting it close, but I also know there is positions at public and private schools all year round. You do however stand a better chance of being selected if you apply during the big intake.

I also read countless stories about people changing their info on their application and being hired on that.

IEPIC, is an internship program in chungnam, now I'm not terribly disappointed that I didn't get it because it was a dodgy contract more hours of teaching for less pay and no overtime rate.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:16:57 pm by curds »

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:12:39 pm »
I do agree with you though, with thousands of applicants to pick from it would be difficult to secure a position with limited amount of openings (possibly under 50). I can have an amazing interview, but somebody could always have either a better interview, resume or photo etc.The more I think it through, the more I'm leaning to Hagwons.

I do want to come to South Korea, so its just a matter of time.

Also about the health issues, not all health issues will hinder your ability to work and most certainly not the health issue that was disclosed, but it needed to be disclosed as it could've been picked up on once we actually arrived in SK.

• moe101
  • Waygookin

• August 31, 2010, 03:18:58 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »
IMHO the best option is EPIK in the Fall or Spring intake. If you fail the interview or feel like you wont get in you can do the direct approach, apply to the MOE directly as they hire year round. Recruiters will usually post that they have public school openings in certain cities. If you are picky you can apply to the MOE of the city you want to be in, otherwise just let the recruiter know you want to try them all.

• thedsr
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
    • Gimpo
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47:11 pm »
look up Korvia recruiting.  They recruit and deal with jobs only for public schools.  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=korvia+recruiting
EPIK does still have job openings for less popular provinces.  Tell them whats up and see if there is anything they can do.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:47:29 pm »
Just because someone bombed the EPIK interview means nothing. All it means is you can't get to public schools this round through EPIK, The EPIK head office is more or less a screening office. They don't really do much other than that. 

If you want to know how to get into public schools without going through EPIK, send me a pm. I'll tell you exactly how to do it. :)
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:20:16 am »
I used MarynJames and they were amazing. Well, Mary anyway as she is the one I dealt with.
They are EPIC and find positions in Gyeongsangnamdo.

I disclosed about my tattoos and that was the biggest hassle during my interview. I had to
convince the guy I wasn't a gangster! None are visible unless I'm in a swim suit.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
You missed GEPIK.  Maybe that was intentional?  They do still hire people, just only during the regular intake...unless the school is funded primarily by their city and not GEPIK.  Or the school is otherwise rich.  Either way, try GEPIK; they're good too.  Although as others have posted it may be a little late for applications to Sep. intake.

By the way, I doubt very much that you'd be disqualified from future applications just for not finding a position.  I'm sure there are many things you could say on an application or in an interview that WOULD make them flag your name and disqualify you for future consideration (any criminal activity, especially drugs, for instance...) but if you were good but there were just too many applicants I'm sure they'll let you keep looking and apply next time.

Oh yeah, and on the health disclosure: I'm pretty sure the assumption (on the part of whatever potential employer reading your application) is that if you disclose something, you are saying that whatever the condition is, it's bad enough that you'll be missing work for it regularly or need special accommodation for it in the workplace.  So consider that when deciding what health conditions to disclose.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:03:58 pm »
Ok, here are my suggestions and information on each...

SMOE - Seoul Public Schools... These guys are the hardest to get into and jobs outside the normal hiring period are hard to find. You should contact them DIRECTLY if you are serious about working with them, but yeah, TEFL/TESOL is required if you haven't taught before.

IMOE - Incheon Metro Public Schools... It is the same as any Metro Public Schools. They will have jobs year round, but the time frame you want might not be posted yet. They probably have closed hiring for the general intake, but that doesn't mean you can't get in. If I were you, and you are ok with it, there are some jobs in Busan that will be opening in September/October. Contact ATC Recruiting, and they should have several positions open now. ATCRecruiting.com I think...

EPIK - The majority of Korea is under EPIK. Yes, they might be closed for the early stuff, but you can easily find jobs in specific Province of Education Offices year round. Check with recruiters. You might have failed because of a medical condition, or because you are South African. Yeah, it sucks, but some recruiters will always prefer either ethnic Koreans or blond hair blue eyed American girls. Thats the game. Try direct with EPIK or through another recruter. Korvia or whatever their name is seems to be pretty up and up with EPIK.

GEPIK - Gyeongi's EPIK program... I think these are the jobs you should be targeting because they will always be open year round. There are tons of these jobs open for September RIGHT NOW through tons of recruiters. Just go to craigslist and search for "public" under jobs.

Jeolla's English Program - Jeolla's Public Schools... Here is the bread and the butter of benefits and money as far as public schools are concerned. They are in the southwest part of Korea. A very nice area with a very troubled history. I've heard that people from this area are way more interested in being friendly with foreigners. And they offer the most vacation days than the other programs. They also have a higher payscale, and it is the exact same job. If I wasn't engaged, I might try working for them.

Tip on health -- If your health condition does not have anything to do with your ability to teach and cannot be contagious, then don't put it down. If you can do your job without them knowing you have it, they don't need to know. It is between you and the doctor, not others. If it is something that will interfere with how you teach or can be passed on, better stay at home.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
I did my TEFL course online and it holds just as much weight. Had no issues getting hired by EPIK with it. It's far cheaper and really convenient since you can cover the course at your own pace and you can do it in your own time.