Read 3564 times

• doolin.nc
  • Adventurer

• March 30, 2011, 07:09:04 am
    • Charlotte, NC, U.S.A.
Transportation per month?
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:06 am »
Hey guys,

You're al lthe pros at this so I figured it was a question better suited for here. Anyway, I'm going to be in Korea for 10 months as a student at Yonsei and I was wondering if anyone could talk about how much transportation would reasonably cost per month. 8 of the 10 months I will be attending classes daily and 2 will be spent doing whatever I want, I guess.

I'm having a difficult time finding a single source of good information. Is there no way to get a flat rate card for the subway? Like pay 100K a month and just swipe at the terminals?

Thanks!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Transportation per month?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:04:03 am »
Hi, there is a monthly card that you buy for about 3,000 won first, then re-charge it. Each recharge is 39,600 won and that gives you 60 journeys(660 won per journey). It last 30 days so if you don't use the 60 journeys then you lose them. If you use the 60 within the month, just recharge for another month.

They only work on the subway, not buses like T-Money does, but it doesn't matter how far you travel on one journey it is still 660 won unlike T-Money that charges you to your destination.

You can use it on all subways starting in Seoul but should you go outside Seoul then you can only use it for the outward journey and not to come back, then you must use T-Money or buy a single journey card.

My wife and I both use it and it is great and saves a lot of money. We just keep a T-Money card for buses (which I rarely use).

You can buy the 'blank' monthly at any station.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• doolin.nc
  • Adventurer

• March 30, 2011, 07:09:04 am
    • Charlotte, NC, U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:09:34 am »
Hi, there is a monthly card that you buy for about 3,000 won first, then re-charge it. Each recharge is 39,600 won and that gives you 60 journeys(660 won per journey). It last 30 days so if you don't use the 60 journeys then you lose them. If you use the 60 within the month, just recharge for another month.

They only work on the subway, not buses like T-Money does, but it doesn't matter how far you travel on one journey it is still 660 won unlike T-Money that charges you to your destination.

You can use it on all subways starting in Seoul but should you go outside Seoul then you can only use it for the outward journey and not to come back, then you must use T-Money or buy a single journey card.

My wife and I both use it and it is great and saves a lot of money. We just keep a T-Money card for buses (which I rarely use).

You can buy the 'blank' monthly at any station.

Thank you very much for that information. I doubt I'd need to recharge more than once on an average month so that provides the type of estimate I'm looking for.

As far as T-money (I thought it was all the same before this), is this also on a card I can just keep on my wallet or something? Also I'm curious if you know about mobile phone integration with this type of thing? I doubt I will partake but I have heard that it is something that happens.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:31:00 am »
Can be done on a cell phone or credit card but then you pay as you would with T-Money. The cheapest is the monthly.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:32:46 am »
T-money is a card too, but you can buy fancy looking gadgets at places like Seven Eleven that are T-Money too, you can use that, they are T-Money too but just look like a cell phone charm.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:13:40 am »
AH!  Is that where I can get one of those nifty gadgets?  I've had the card one since my first week here (about 4 months ago).  Just got a new cell phone and I've really wanted to get one of the keychain/charm looking ones, but I had no idea where to start looking.  I'll try the two local 7-11 stores this weekend.

• Miss S
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2011, 10:47:56 am
    • Busan, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:13:01 am »
I spend no more than W120,000 on transport a month. (Busan)
This is for subway to school and then a taxi up as well, and then transport around the city on weekends and at night.

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:18 am »
AH!  Is that where I can get one of those nifty gadgets?  I've had the card one since my first week here (about 4 months ago).  Just got a new cell phone and I've really wanted to get one of the keychain/charm looking ones, but I had no idea where to start looking.  I'll try the two local 7-11 stores this weekend.

They are available at the bank! If you're bank doesn't carry them, they'll tell you which one to go to!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 08:31:25 am »

They are available at most convenience stores and even at the little kiosks in the subway station. Easy to get.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 09:45:03 am »
You can also get little retractable Tottoro cases for the phone tags at COEX. For anyone looking to customise theirs, a tag can take a good couple of millimetres of non-metallic crap before they're not longer detected.

Tags are available for T-money (Seoul), Shin-Hankkumi (Daejeon+Seoul) and Mybi (Busan+Gyeongju) but not Daegu cards. Personally, I've sworn there's a lost business opportunity in making special region specific T-money cards unique to tourist locales or custom ones drop from photo booths so that you could get a unique tag with a picture of yourself atop Mt Halla or something for a premium price. For any Korean entrepreneurs reading this: that one's on the house.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:47:58 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:07 am »
The 60 trip a month card seems like the way to go. I've already spent that amount in two weeks here. I guess it depends if most of your traveling is gonna be on the subway or the bus though.