Read 1534 times

I'm taking a level 5 Korean class and my Korean teacher is constantly asking me how to say words in English.  I'm the only American in the class and I feel I shouldn't have to give English lessons in Korean class. Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

• deerchild
  • Explorer

• September 02, 2010, 09:25:16 am
    • kyungido
Re: Does your Korean teacher ask you how to say words in English?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:42:16 pm »
I don't have the same experience but you can use that situation to learn korean. How about teaching English and learn korean from that Korean teacher ?

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Re: Does your Korean teacher ask you how to say words in English?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:17:15 am »
Is the class conducted in English, or is it done like total immersion where the instructor should be using Korean only?  At "Level 5" it sounds like the class should be carried out in the language you're trying to learn--just a guess.

If the questioning is really excessive and you feel like this person is using your time and money to learn from you instead of teaching you, then yeah, you might consider saying something to the school you're studying at.  I don't think you can completely avoid the "language exchange" dynamic whenever you're learning a second language from a native speaker, and for the most part, that's great.  But if you wanted to do an actual language exchange, you could set that up yourself.  You're choosing to pay to learn Korean from this person and that's their job.