• joybot0
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2010, 02:41:59 pm
    • South Korea
Upcoming Changes!! Ask your coteacher
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »
 ;D
Hello teachers.
 I work in Yongin for GEPIK and want to inform you that if you plan on working past 2010 there will be changes. There is a lot in the rumor mill so it is good to start talking about it.

What is going on is that next year there will be new books for all the grades. Mostly 3 & 4. Grade 5 & 6 will increase to having classes 3 times a week.

Also schools will end up choosing the textbook and so each school could end up with a different book. This will make sharing materials a little harder.

SInce information about these things gets to the Native Teacher last I thought it would be good that people ask their coteacher about this. Just bring it up and see what they say.

If you have been to orientation or workshops let us know any info you got there.

Thanks!

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
Re: Upcoming Changes!! Ask your coteacher
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »
Yes, heard about the new books. They pass the law about 3 times a week for 5 & 6th graders. But have not heard about individual school buying doing their own textbook__

How would children get tested ????

• jdniii
  • Veteran

• April 25, 2010, 08:21:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:03:31 am »
How would they get tested?

I work at a Middle School and each school is responsible for making their own tests.  As the native language teacher I am responsible for putting 2 questions from every unit on their final test.  This ensures the kids pay attention in my class.  Also, I like that we make the test personal to our school that way I can put my slang, culture lessons on the exam.  It's a little more work for the teacher but I think it's better for the kid's education (assuming they have good teachers)  ;D

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:22 am »

Agree___I work in a elementary school :)

Like all governmental policies____theirs the theory than the practice.

Everything is rumors and cojecture so far.

• jille86
  • Adventurer

• April 15, 2010, 12:50:40 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »
Gr. 3 and 4 got "new" textbooks this year (most of the content is the same in a new book)....so they are changing them again?

I know that Gr. 5 and 6 are supposed to get "new" ones next year too, but 3 lessons per week? I just asked my room of 5 co-teachers and two of them have heard that that's true as a fact.... but I guess we'll see what happens?

• rhetoric
  • Veteran

• April 14, 2010, 02:25:10 pm
    • Samcheonpo
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »
At an EPIK workshop last year, I heard that there would be several "approved" textbook programs, and the schools did indeed get to "choose" from the approved vendors.  The kickbacks and profits of the textbook publishers, and their relationship to the education ministry and the ruling party, as well as the local school districts, must be a factor in this.

As offensive, inappropriately suggestive, and just plain wrong the current textbook series is, from the Korean pedagogues point of view, it serves the function of keeping children away from English language based culture that has not been mediated by Korean translation.  Additionally, the tests designed around it have proven to be significantly obscure, allowing the testing to serve the historic gatekeeper function: That is, a test which helps to winnow a serviceable elite, not a test of actual ability or knowledge.  Notice how the tests measure the ability to relate certain Korean concepts to other Korean concepts in the "correct" way, with the English language keys thrown in as a tertiary check on "correctness".

The elementary part of the old curriculum was anarchic enough that rational approaches to grammar could be used effectively within its framework.  And for Korean teachers unfamiliar with, and quite possibly resentful towards, English, the old curriculum allowed the schools to spend a little more time honing the basics of Korean with their most recalcitrant charges, under the guise of studying English.  At the more advanced levels, the method of having to explain everything in Korean, the memorization of equivalents ad infinitum, and other methodologies, helped to prepare the students to invest further in the Hagwan and tutor industries, perhaps developing them into lifelong consumers of this commodity inappropriately labeled as English.  It's the Korean economy, . . . . .

Joybot0's suggestion that we pool our resources in digesting these changes is well received.  We'll be in a better position to exploit the upsides in what will hopefully be a mixed bag.  There may even be some evidence that the old Korean paradigm of focusing myopically on East Asian reference points is starting to shift.
Mother is the Invention of Necessity

• shandre
  • Explorer

• June 03, 2010, 03:10:12 pm
    • Gimpo, Gyeonggi do
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.

• miriamluv
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 02:01:20 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 07:55:49 am »
Actually, I heard about this at my teacher training a year ago.  So basically, there are multiple publishers making curriculum books.  Each school will be able to pick their textbooks based on the student levels.  I am just guessing, but maybe there will be 10 or less books to choose from, so we could just split up the materials section based on the book we are teaching.  A ton of the basic English books have the same sort of topics as well: such as colors, months, introductions, etc.  So I think that many of the materials we already have can just be adjusted for the new curriculum.  So, I think it may still be plausible for us to share stuff.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 08:45:31 am »
definitely. i have seen maybe four or five of the possibilities that have been delivered.  there are many topics that are the same but they're just in different order in the current books.  however, i haven't seen any new books for 5th or 6th grade yet so i have no idea how they'll compare.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• joybot0
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2010, 02:41:59 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 11:45:28 am »
Thanks for the input everyone. Keep your ears and eyes out for these changes. I feel the books need an uplift anyways. But I am not looking forward to the change coming at the last minute.

Whatever happens I hope it is for the best for the students.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 01:55:08 pm »
Just got a quick confirmation for 1 of my 3 co-teachers that 5th and 6th will have 3 lessons per week. As for the text books, I have yet to get an answer. I will keep my ear to the floor on that one.Thnx for the heads up!